z

Young Writers Society

Watchful (Edited Version) chp. 3

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:16 pm
polkadottiger2 says...

Chp.3
It didn't take long after Pierce left for everyone to return to their usual routines, and Scarlet was left to do the same. She couldn't get Pierce off of her mind. She even felt a pang of regret that she had not went with him. What if she never got to see him again? What if that was her only chance to really make something of her life? But he had said he would be near, and she could almost feel his presence. She imagined him hiding in the crowds, watching her from a distance and she shivered. She wondered if she would be able to stop herself if he asked her to come with him again. She would have to. For her own good. She shook herself out of her thoughts and headed towards the farm, not even hungry for her leftover berries from the day before.
The farm was busy, as usual. Everyone off doing there own thing, and talking amongst themselves about the latest gossip. Scarlet never got much of the gossip, but she guessed she wouldn't miss much today. She was the gossip. She could feel eyes on her back as she picked and plucked at the berries, tugging on weeds along the way.
The day, somehow, ran its course and Scarlet soon found herself back in the square. Today, she decided, she would brave the crowds, and get herself a decent meal for once. She used her size to her advantage as she ducked and weaved her way through the crowd, and by some miracle she reached the front, taking a large chunk of cheddar cheese, and bread, so fresh it was still warm. She leaned against the cold brick for her feast, eating berries for dessert, and for once she settled down with a full stomach.
Scarlet slept soundly through the night and awoke to sunlight warming her face. It would be a beautiful day. She squinted her eyes against the sunlight and pulled herself up into a sitting position, trying to make out the figures in the square. It didn't take long for her to locate him. She knew he would be near. She watched him as he talked animatedly to a young girl, probably about five. She was laughing and holding a fresh looking apple in her hand. Scarlet guessed Pierce had plenty of food to spare if he was so keen on giving it away. Finally, the girl turned away, and he directed his attention to her. Their eyes connected, for a quick second before Scarlet turned away, slightly embarrassed to have been caught staring. He took it as an invitation and proceeded to her corner of the square.
“Hello again.” He grinned.
“Hi.” Scarlet replied sleepily. He sat down beside her, doing his best to make himself comfortable against the stone wall.
“So, have you thought about it?”
“Thought about...what?” Scarlet asked, remembering as soon as the words left her mouth.
“Coming to my cabin.” He stated.
He hadn't mentioned a cabin before. Scarlet didn't know that it was possible to own property. Except for the Watchful of course. But he couldn't be a Watchful. It wasn't plausible. Scarlet still doubted that they were even real.
“I've...considered it.” Scarlet finally answered, choosing her words carefully. “But, I'm still not sure I can trust you.” She decided to be honest. She had nothing to lose. He nodded at her slowly.
“But who can you trust really? Isn't it just as risky staying here in the square? Except here, there are even more people to not trust.” He had a good argument. But there were still so many questions.
“Why do you want me to come anyway? Why come here just for me? What other reasons do you have? How did you even hear of me in the first place? Or did you just pick some random girl and decide she would be the one you'd toy with? The one you would pretend to care about and then leave behind like nothing ever happened.”
Pierce stared at her blankly. Idiot. She thought. None of this was worth it.
“Look. Like I said before, its gonna take a lot of explaining, and there are too many ears here. Come with me to my cabin, and just hear me out. Then you can decide if you want to stay or not.”
Scarlet studied him for a moment. His mouth was parted slightly, eyes wide and serious and his eyebrows slightly raised, awaiting her response.
“I'll come.” She said, surprising even herself. But what harm could it do? She would just go to his cabin, find out what he wanted and then leave. She would never have to see him again, and she didn't want to. But if all of that was true, why did she feel like she was lying to herself?
“Alright then.” He said, interrupting her train of thoughts. He jumped up and reached out a scarred hand to help her up after him. She purposefully avoided it. She could get up by herself. A look of hurt flashed across his face but he recovered quickly.
“This way.” He said, his voice suddenly emotionless. Scarlet trailed closely behind as he strode across the square. She could feel the eyes on her back and hear hushed voices murmur her name. She blocked them out. She had never cared what anyone else thought of her and now was not the time to change.
Last edited by polkadottiger2 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reviews: 4
Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:31 pm
Kei says...

Great so far! I want more :D

A few more grammar issues- don't forget to end dialogue with a COMMA (in most cases, when needed- you get what I mean)!

And this-

Idiot. She thought

Since she's thinking this, put "Idiot" in italics. Otherwise it's a bit choppy.

Other than that, everything is great. Your descriptions are awesome, and I'm really getting a feel for the personalities of the characters. Keep it up!
-Kei

Excuse me I have never *lied* about a character I just don't tell the truth
— AceassinOfTheMoon