z

Young Writers Society

The Magicians' Academy

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:50 pm
barefootrunner says...

You've been tested and chosen to train at the Magicians' Academy. This will be your new home for at least the next five years while you learn to use magic for battle, healing, communication and craft.

Setting: The Magicians' Academy, central to the city of Acrin in Waldasia—a large building full of stone corridors and dusty classrooms, with dormitories adjacent. The facility is surrounded by some light woodlands and gardens.

Magic: There are limits to magic use. You can make different types of shields, throw various strikes, heal (this is most complex), communicate by mind and use power to manipulate objects, for example melting and shaping metal. The more power you use, the weaker and more tired you get, but you regain your power within hours or days of use. Magical battles may require all your strength, in which case you may die.

Rules: Visits to the city are allowed but discouraged. No sexual intercourse is permitted among entrants. Magic use out of class is restricted to practicing work learnt in lessons (though everyone ignores this).

Good luck with your lessons.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

304 Reviews

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:10 pm
barefootrunner says...

Karinya

I check my roster nervously, running a finger down the subjects.
Communication [room 78], Craft [room 132], Battle magic [the courtyard], Healing [room 63].
It's my first day and things aren't going well already. The corridors have cleared and I have mere minutes to reach my classroom. What is more, my heavy robes are much too large for me, and I keep tripping over the soiled hem. And there is no map.
How to find room 78?
I pass room 54, then room 53. Wrong direction. I start to run. My panicked footsteps echo through the corridors. I'm going to be late. For my first class. This is not a good start.
I hitch up my robes above my knees as I stumble and almost fall, trying to keep the bundles of cloth and books in my arms at the same time.
"Hey, you! What class do you want?" someone calls behind me. I clutch at the lifeline unbelievingly.
"Room—78..." I gasp, turning.
"Well, you'd be wanting the last corridor on your right. Wait—I'll show you. Better run. You're going to be late."
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

Reviews: 1
Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:10 pm
TaylorLove says...

Blair Night

I rush past people trying to get to my class. I trip over the end of my robe and fall on the floor, all my belongings scattering across the floor. I sigh and pick everything up. I somehow manage to find room 78.

When I walk in, almost everyone looks this way. "Ah, you must be Ms. Night. I was expecting you to be late." The professor says.

I frown and walk in. "I am so sorry. I am nothing like my brother, I promise. I just don't know my way around." I say.

"Please take your seat." The professor demands. I dart to my seat and sit down. The first day and I am already being compared to my brother. He was the worst student in the whole school. He was the guy that was too cool for school and I am just his little sister. Everyone just expects me to be the bad girl and I always let them down.

I sit on my stool and watch the clock, hoping the that day will end smoothly.
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart
-Winnie the Pooh

304 Reviews

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:05 pm
barefootrunner says...

Karinya

The girl sat down beside me, slapping a haphazard pile of books onto her desk. Some overflowed onto my desk, almost knocking over my ink pot. I smoothed the dog-ear out of The Arte of Mynde Communications for the Beginning Student before giving it back to her. She flashed me a quick, grateful smile.

"Welcome to your first lesson in Mind Communication," the strict-looking magician at the head of the class said. "I am Lady Paritia, and I shall be your instructor for this course."
She gestured to two chairs, facing each other, in front of the class. "My assistant and I shall demonstrate your first exercise, and then you shall attempt to replicate it. Before we begin, read through the first ten pages of your handbook to familiarize yourself with the terms."
The class filled with the rustle of paper as all the students opened their books. I copied them and found the first page covered in a close hand. Printed books were coming into vogue in the city, but more important books were still written by hand, in the Academy and elsewhere.

The arte of Mynde Communication in its symplest form, is the easiest of the magycal disciplynes. However, the most complexe and fyne communications belonge only to the moste difficult realms of skill.

I blinked. What? I looked up to see that the rest of the class had their noses buried in their books, frowns of concentration furrowing their brows.
"Yes, Ms..."
"Um... just Karinya, my Lady."
"Ms Karinya, then. Do you have difficulty with the text?"
My cheeks reddened. "No, my Lady."
"Then please continue." She stalked down the isle, glaring at the students unwary enough to lift their eyes.

Reviews: 3
Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:36 pm
RedEyedRunt says...

Summer

I walked into the school, walking very slowly. I was known in my city for being a beautiful girl . . . I didn't see that in me. I looked around and saw eyes staring at me, mouths wide open. I blushed and picked up speed. Then I accidently bumped into a young girl. I quickly picked up her books,

"I'm sooooo sorry!!"

She glanced at me . . .
Winterfell is cold.

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:56 am
Kelpies says...

Luna Cambri

Cambri had payed so much attention to hall numbers that she hadn't seen the other girl until she ran into her. The girl said something resembling an apology, but Cambri didn't really pay attention.

"DoyouknowwhereIcouldgetareplacementscheduleIlostmineandnowI'mlateforclass". She said, getting the words out as fast as she could, which is to say, extremely fast. Everything about her made her seem eccentric, energetic, and like she radiated magic, even though she didn't. She had bright red hair, and was extremely skinny. She had green eyes and freckles, and was roughly twig-shaped.

" Please tell me!". She stated desperately, slowing down the tiniest bit.
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:24 pm
JasmineA says...

I'm new and not sure how this works so I'll try

~~~~\~~
Selenia Greystone

I walked calmly down the corridor. The bell had long since gone but it wasn't anything I had to bother with. I doubt any teacher would dare question why I was late and if they did I had a perfectly feasible escuse. 'Atleast there are some perks that come with being a Greystone,' I thought bitterly. I paused in the middle of walking and sighed as I heard a girl yelling at someone about being late for class. I debated walking along since it was none of my concern but couldn't bring myself to do it. My mother always said I had a talent for always playing the hero, I guess she was right.
I walked around a corner and sure enough there they were. They were both on the floor picking up some books that I guessed fell when they ran into each other or something like that. 'Hm this could be interesting'.

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina