z

Young Writers Society

The Restaurant at the End of the Universes

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:13 pm
kayfortnight says...

This is a pretty simply thread. We're at the Restaurant at the End of the Universes, where you can chat with the Dish of the Day as it asks which part of it you want to eat, and you get to socialize with everyone and anyone who ever existed in any universe while you wait for them to all go kablooey. You can use any character from any storybook, short story, or novel, original or not, or you can just make something up on the spot.

Korina
I pushed myself off the tile floor and swayed. Most days you don't expect to be sitting in your Florida living room and then in a restaurant.

Looking up, I saw a one-eyed squishy looking purple creature standing over me. I took out my gun and took a step back. "Stay away, or I'll shoot!" Darcy probably wouldn't be happy with me threatening it before I knew what it was, but this was an unfamiliar situation and for all I knew, it was worse than the time I opened my eyes in the same room as a basilisk.

"Now, really," it buzzed, taking the gun with a tentacle. "There's no need to be so...uncivilized. We're all friends here. May I show you to a table?"

I looked around me and saw a dozen or so beings rising to their feet, some confused and human like myself, others obviously neither. The windows showed a barren landscape reminiscent of pictures of the moon's surface. "Where am I?"

"The Restaurant at the End of the Universes. We've expanded, it was once only one universe we catered to. Come, and I'll show you to your table." It slid across the floor and I followed, still confused but willing to go with the flow.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:07 am
Holysocks says...

Spoiler! :
Howdy! Taylor's a guy by the way.

Taylor

I sat up, blinking wildly. Where am I? I tried to make sense of the blurry world around me. Was I home? Finely home?

I felt what seemed to be a counter, its cool, dark wood telling me I was anywhere but home.

"Hello?" I said sliding my hand off the counter, it knocked something. I heard a glass crash to the floor, and liquid seeped into my socks. "Drats!" I cursed, and stepped back. "Owch!"

"Oh dear! Are you OK?" Someone asked, putting a helping hand on my shoulder to keep me from falling over.

"Uh, not too great actually." I replied.

"I can imagine." They said. The voice was a girl, maybe my age, maybe 18 or so. I turned to her, my eyes were clearing a bit.

"Where am I?" I asked. Her blurry form crouched down and by the sound of clattering glass, she was trying to clean up the mess I had made.

"You're in a restaurant, and a very fine one for that matter." Answered a different voice, this one coming from a much older and manly voice. And now that he said it, it did seem like a restaurant. I heard servers rushing about, pots clanging together, and I smelt the most beautiful thing. Was it lamb? Orenge juice? Or maybe cheese sause and noodles?

"Oh, that's nice... Sorry about the dish." I said, hoping this was just another one of my life-like dreams.
100% autistic

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:34 pm
rainbowcabbit says...

(Awwwww...a broken thread :( I am still gonna try it out)

Ky:
I rested upon the cool, wooden table, my paws sat at each side of the little metal dome. I watched the humans and other things get up in confusion and question what had happened. They had landed in a restaurant of course. As I heard way too many times, the one at the end of the universes. The creatures confusion moved about in waves around the place, distorting the soft maroon light. The strange works of the Darkside,I concluded. Of course this had to be the work of the Darkside: who else would make something so twisted?
"What would you like to eat?" the silver dome pestured.
I just smacked the thing with my paw. "Shut up," I responded, "I don't know what kind of poison you put in your food."

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:03 pm
jimdandy says...

(Let's kick this thread to the freeway, eh?)

Dean Regal:
I looked up with all the headache and blurred vision that could only come from a night before, though one that had never happened. My right hand was clasped around a small glass and I saw some liquid poured into it, a swirl of burgundy and lime. "Thanks." I said to the waitress, not seeing her. Looking inside the glass, I knew this wasn't the brandy I ordered, nor did I remember ordering a brandy in the first place. I drank the whole this down anyways. An odd but refreshing taste ran down my innards.
Looking around when my sight finally cleared, well, I don't remember the bar looking this way. Wait. Where am I...

And there, a strange creature, then another. I couldn't seem to process my thinking just yet, so I called the waitress, or what seemed to be a hologram of one, she poured another glass. I drank slowly.
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus
"I didn't lie! I just created fiction with my mouth." - Homer

Reviews: 1
Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:57 am
TaylorLove says...

Jami

Yep, I work here. It never gets old seeing the confused looks on people faces as they suddenly appear and have no idea where they are. I have to say it is pretty amusing. I am the only human that works here so it gets a lonely but I find ways to entertain myself. I see a guy sitting at the bar staring strangely at his waitress. I walk over and take her place. "Hi." I say.

''So, what are you?" He asks.

I look at him and laugh. "A girl. It is not that hard to tell."

"You know what I mean." He sighs.

I pretend to think. "I glow in the dark." I lie. He looks at me suspiciously. "I'm a human." I say.

"Ah, well at least I know I'm not going crazy." He smiles.

"Um, you still could be." I raise my eye brows.

"What's your name?" He asks, spinning the drink around in his glass.

"Jami." I say. "And yours?"

"Dean." He stands taking a sip of his drink.
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart
-Winnie the Pooh

Random avatar

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:57 pm
View Likes
kayfortnight says...

Spoiler! :
Thread creator is back, since interest has been shown:)

Korina

I have to get back home. What will my parents think if I stay too long? First one daughter missing for years, and next the other? I call them every day, but time might pass differently in this place. From what I can see out the windows, after all, this place is very far away from home.

Loud music begins blaring through the room. The style sounds like country, but instead of tractors and farms the lyrics seem to be singing about spaceships and asteroids. My mind analyzes this quickly and then decides it's not important. Far more worthy of attention right now is the large purple being wearing a hideous pink suit on the stage.

I tense slightly. Monster. Where's Anton and his trigger-happiness when you need him? I don't have a gun with me, but even though Darcy's non-violence policy has rubbed off on me, I find myself wishing for one now. This creature kidnapped us. He cannot mean well.

Reviews: 1
Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:39 am
TaylorLove says...

Jami

I got an order for Dean and I was going to back and talk to him, but my eyes fell upon a girl who looked oddly familiar but I never recognize anyone here. I shrug it off and try to push it to the back of my mind. I walk over to her table and smile. "Hello." I say. "I know it is a little strange here, but your safe don't worry." I say warmly.

As the singing gets more and more off key I shoot a huge glare at the singer. "The customers are trying to eat, please don't bust there ear drums." I say.

"Like you could do better." sHe said.

"I can, that is for another night." I laugh.

She gets off the stage and normal music begins to play. I turn back to the door. "Can I get you anything?" I ask her.
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart
-Winnie the Pooh

8 Reviews

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:13 am
jimdandy says...

Dean

As I scan the room at the other customers, the whole place seemed to be a circus full of odd and interesting folk, but I was in no place to question anyone here but that waitress seemed to take a kind shoulder to me. Oh, food, lovely...

I picked at my plate and sipped my beverage. How long am I going to be here? Is this some kind of lifetime layover? I got work tomorrow...
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

494 Reviews

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:51 pm
Holysocks says...

Taylor

After a few minutes, I could see clearly again. There were so many people wondering around... and creatures, strange creatures like little devils, or unicorns with plastic smiles...
Maybe I wasn't seeing clearly.

I made my way over to a table, where a girl sat. Her mind must of been somewhere else, though, because she didn't really notice me until a waiter came. He asked what we were going to have and was not surprisingly, only a suit... holding a menu.
The girl asked for a glass of water, and I told him to simply surprise me. He headed to the next group of people down to fill out more requests.

"It's quite different isn't it?" I wispered across the table, "Invisable waiters?" She nodded and raised her eye brows, still looking a bit fazed. "I'm Taylor, by the way," I said still in a hushed voice.

"Korina," she wispered back, "nice to meet you... Why are we wispering?!"

"I'm not sure, it just seemed like the right thing to do," I said, with a smile.

Another waiter came, this time with a silvery-black tray. He plunked a dish down in front of me and handed Korina her water. I glanced at the yellow goop, it had what seemed to me as fish tails and patato peals floating around in its murky depth. I smiled sheepishly at the waiter, but he just raised an eye brow. I brought the dish up and smelt it... I heard the waiter laugh, it must have been my face because what ever it was, smelt simply wrong. He took the dish, saying, "we do normally feed this to the pigs!" Then he placed a plate of rice and chicken down in front of me. "Enjoy."
100% autistic

Random avatar

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:17 am
kayfortnight says...

Korina

So the waiters speak English. That's...interesting. The other girl looks human too, but there seem to be plenty of other creatures here. Some of them probably couldn't handle the human tongues due to any number of factors, from differing vocal ranges to the fact one of the creatures at the table behind them had no mouth. Unless...

I knew three languages, four if you count Latin (but nobody ever counts Latin). English, Spanish and Chinese. I close my eyes and try to restrict my thoughts so I'm thinking in Spanish. Tough, but manageable. The waiter stopped for a moment at our table. "¿Hay algo más?" he asked. Is there anything more? I grinned like a loon. "No, pero gracias, señor." He walked off.

Taylor was frowning in confusion. "Why're you smiling like that?"

"You don't speak Spanish, do you?" She shook her head. "Thought not. However, you could be speaking French right now and I'd be hearing you in English, Spanish, or Chinese. The people who designed this place are geniuses. You speak in your own language, but to the listener, it sounds like their own. They somehow attached it to our thoughts. Of course, that means they probably know what we're thinking right now..."

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:47 am
rainbowcabbit says...

Ky:

What? I thought as I heard a couple of humans mention thought control and speech. Rage overtakes me as I realize only one thing that could cause such intense power: the purple key, and it was at this Darkside restaurant! How insulting! Quickly,I jump off my table and approach the humans. Chiming in with a "Wait, what did you say?" I joined the humans. Maybe they could help me find the purple key.

8 Reviews

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:31 am
jimdandy says...

Dean

Eggs, bacon, pan-fries... coffee. It's all here sitting on my plate but just at the same time my mind can't seem to focus that it IS sitting right THERE. I look up, and around, seeing the restaurant but feeling, almost calm, too calm. It seems to me that everyone felt the same way as well. It kind of seemed that everything is beautiful here, and that it would, stay beautiful forever. Like an unending scene in one set, repeating itself with different characters.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:58 pm
NightWolf says...

My head hurts, in fact, everything hurts. Groaning, I force myself to sit up, staring around at my surroundings. My vision clears a little, and I frown at what I see. I am sitting on a tiled floor, but it wasn't stone. In all honesty, I admit I have no idea what it was. I see a wooden table in front of me, and I use it to pull myself up.
"Hi, how are you? Here, let me help you stand up now," a voice behind me says. I whirl around, unsheathing my sword.
"Back away, fiend," I snarl.
The person is a human, but there is a strange accent in his voice, one that isn't from Isria, that's for sure.
"There are no fiends here, boy, only friends, and food. What is your name?"
I shrug, then realise how foolish the gesture is.
"My name's Damon. Where am I?" I reply.
"The Restaurant at the End of Universes, where the food suits everyone. Look here, the Dish of the Day!"
The man points at a silver dome. It is engraved finely, reminding me of my father's throne. Instantly, my mood sours, and I hit the silver dome out of the way so I can lean on the table.
"Watch it," cries the silver dome, "What will you like to eat?"
"Nothing," I spat, "I have no taster with me, and I have no desire to be poisoned."
"We're all just stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" The Eleventh Doctor

8 Reviews

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:32 pm
jimdandy says...

Dean

A loud metallic clang!broke my train of thought and I raised my head from my meal. Some guy hit the silver dish, or really today's special, then proceeded to lean on the table.

"Soldiers, always got something to be swingin' a blade about." I say to myself, taking another sip of coffee. This coffee really isn't so bad I suppose, but where the heck do they get all this food? And what's my bill at? I fumbled around in my pocket, nothing but a receipt to a to a late night motel. Found my wallet in my other pocket, opened it. Twenty-nine dollars, a couple more receipts, identification and all that jazz... Wait, what's this. A note? I withdrew this folded piece of paper and laid it beside my plate as I put my wallet back into my pocket.

I open the paper, it sure enough was a note, though it was written in... Well, I couldn't say. Didn't look like anything I've ever seen. I turn around to the restaurant.
"Is there anyone here who can make sense of this writing?"

494 Reviews

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 pm
Holysocks says...

Taylor

"Is there anyone here who can make sense of this writing" I hear a man say. I glanced over to where he was. The man was holding a scrap of paper, and waving it over his head.

I looked back at Korina, confused. I thought everyone could understand everything, here? Does that not work with writing? Korinas' brow furrowed.

"Let's see," I said, turning back to the man. He walked over and handed me the note, the words were mostly dash's and dots, though there were some squares... I smiled down on the paper, pretending I was understanding.

I nodded and gave the piece of paper to Korina, she studied it, frowned, and then looked back up at me.

"You know what this means?!" I said.

Her eyes widened.

I took a deep breath in... "We are going to have to learn Korean!"

Korina glared at me and shook her head, "I don't think that this is Korean..."
100% autistic

The idea that a poem was a made thing stayed with me, and I decided then that I wanted to be an artist, not just a diarist. So I put myself through a kind of apprenticeship in writing poetry, and I understood even then that my practice as a poet was deeply related to my reading.
— Edward Hirsch