z

Young Writers Society

Roosevelt's Charm School for Young Ladies and Gentlemen

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:50 am
delilahlovve says...

Roosevelt's Charm School for Young Ladies and Gentlemen is a summer charm school program for youth aged 13-17. It is a month-long program at the Ellen Roosevelt facility in the exclusive city of Sommersville. Like the high class society the school is in, it will help your youth to be cultured in politics and social etiquette. There are separate dorms for each gender and daily meals are shared at the grand hall. There are social activities such as classes, dances and other events for both genders to share in. Teaching our students how to live in peace with those of their own gender and how to interact with those of the opposite sex, also incorporating that Roosevelt quality charm.

Classes start on:
-June 30th-July 30th

Random avatar

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:09 am
View Likes
delilahlovve says...

Cadence

The plaid skirt rimmed with pink lace was nothing I imagined myself wearing this summer. Just the reflection of my pressed, knee length socks was causing shock. I do not need to go to charm school.

There was a jingle bell over the intercom and then a low buzzing as someone spoke.

"Hello and welcome ladies and gentlemen to the Roosevelt's Charm School Summer Program. We are delighted to have you here and would like to have a meet and greet to get to know our new students. There is a mandatory meeting at the North Hall. We will be taking attendance and missing this introductory event would be a great misfortune and those who do not attend will have a personal counseling meeting everyday for the rest of the course. Of course I know my lovely young adults will all report and I will be grateful to see your gleaming faces. Please report to the North Hall in your name tag onto the left side of your coats and full uniform by 7:00 pm. Do not be late. Remember, punctual is professional! We will all be pleased to meet our new ladies and gentlemen!"

I wouldn't feel so uneasy if my roommate had arrived. Then I would have someone to fortify myself with. My name tag read Cadence but I could not imagine the misery of a month I am to face once Eden arrives. My nerves tingled and I was fearful of my other personality coming out. How could my parents think this would help Eden to disappear?

I took one last look at the girl full of dismay in the mirror. Could I please stay Cadence for tonight? I can't imagine what everyone would think of "that girl with two personalities."

184 Reviews

Reviews: 184
Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:47 pm
RoyalHighness says...

Catrinella

I don't need this. I tried to explain to my mom that I'm as refined as I could get, but after last summer, who could blame her? Well, except me, of course. I'd never fit in here. I don't want to be surrounded by high class robots. And if they find out I'm here on scholarship, oh man, my life is over. My sarcastic, sassy personality would never thrive in this place. I tried telling that to my mom, too, but she wouldn't hear it. "Your sarcastic, sassy personality needs to change, Rose. That's why you need this school," she said, snapping my suitcase shut. I sighed and went with it because I hated arguing with my mom. She'd had nothing but hardship after Dad died, and I was sure I wasn't helping. So now I'm standing before the doorway of my new dorm room. A girl in a frilly skirt stands in front of a mirror, looking like she's just seen a ghost. I decide to try being nice to her, since she'll probably be my only friend.
"Hi," I say, holding out the hand that's not holding a suitcase. "I'm Cat."

Random avatar

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:20 am
View Likes
delilahlovve says...

Cadence

Cat, my new roommate, had arrived. I was relieved I wouldn't have to journey into the "Meet and Greet" by my lonesome but set back when I realized I'd have to eventually break the ice about Eden. Her hand was extended outward and I acknowledged it by giving a firm hand shake.

"I'm Cadence. Or you can call me Cade if that's easier for you." She had one suitcase and her uniform was draped across it.

"This is some uniform." I nervously began the conversation, hoping she'd be receptive to the small talk.

"You do look suprised," she instantly retorted. I shrugged and glanced back into the reflection of lies.

"I am. I'm not here voluntarily." I paused nervously as she continued to the available bed and began to open her suitcase.

"I would never come here by choice either," she agreed At least she isn't some preppy brat.

"Well, we have to be in full uniform and head to the North Hall for some Meet and Greet thing. 'Name tag on the left' was what I think she said. I don't want to dive into this alone, do you want to hang out with me?" I invited her to become a part of my new routine. She seemed to be interested.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:04 am
EllaBliss says...

Well then, since this is dead I will bring it back up...

~Colleen`

I walked through the door into the dorm I had been assigned to, holding my head high. I made eye contact with both of the girls in the room.

"My name is Colleen Vanessa Jenner." I said loudly and clearly, holding out my hand to shake one of theirs. Once I had a firm grip on the hand of the girl who was in front of me, I shook their hand gently. I nodded in an accepting manner in their direction, parading over to the bed I apparently claimed.

I placed my suitcase at the edge of the bed. I unfolded the uniform I had been given, dressing into it. Every fold in the perfect place, socks pulled up straight, and name tag resting on my left breast. I exited the room, in a hurry to the North Hall, not speaking to my roomates.

I made the scene as I arrived at the North Hall. I waited for something to happen....

Reviews: 1
Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:35 pm
TaylorLove says...

Eliza

This southern belle does not want to spend her precious time in this school. I pull my blonde hair back and sigh. I do not need this. "Um, excuse me sir." I say stopping a young man. "Will you please carry my bags to my room." I am. He begins to look down my leg and I stop him. "Um, keep your eye north of the equator. Thanks doll."

I find my room and I thank him. ''That's all, bye." I wave and take my things into my room and see girls. "Oh, hello. I was not expecting to share this room. Always open to friends." I say. "I'm Eliza."

"Oh, and where are you from?" One of the girls ask who looks mighty bored.

"Oh, I'm from Alabama." I say smiling.

"That explains it." She say.

I was a little take aback. "Oh I'm sure it does dear."
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart
-Winnie the Pooh

Reviews: 4
Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:49 pm
thelostone says...

August Dunning

"Bye, Gus!" Aunt Katherine called to me from her black limousine. "Be the gentleman I know you are. I'll pick you up in a couple months."

I kissed her cheek and picked up my two suitcases. I stepped inside the school and quickly found my room, avoiding all the clones Aunt Katherine wants me to become. My room was empty and I smirked. Looked like I wasn't sharing. I threw my suitcase across the bed by the window and gently set down the other.

I plopped on the plush bed and slowly unzipped the worn leather suitcase. It was empty besides the one item I put in there. I closed my eyes and the faint smell of cigar smoke made my heart ache. I picked up my dad's notebook and opened the cover, which was also leather, and a small picture fluttered out onto my lap.

I picked it up and looked at it for a while. The boy in the picture was laughing next to his dad who was holding up a fish. The pure joy spread across both of their faces were inexplicable. I haven't smiled like that in a while. I haven't had a reason to. When he died something inside of me died with him. Aunt Katherine thought sending me here would fix it somehow. Like the part of me that died was my gentleman-liness or whatever. Complete bullshit if you ask me.

I shoved the picture back inside the book and then shoved the book under my pillow. I ran my fingers through my tangled brown hair and sighed. There's got to be one normal guy here, right? At least I saw some beautiful girls outside. Good looking girls are always the cure to painful nostalgia.

I ignored the name tag that sat on my bedside table and walked downstairs. Just as I was about to open the door to get some air a blonde girl with big honest looking eyes tapped my shoulder.

"Um, excuse me sir." She said.

Sir? Is everyone here this proper?

"Will you please carry my bags to my room." She continued.

I blinked twice. She thinks I'm part of the staff here? I eyed her and she immediately took it the wrong way. "Um, keep your eye north of the equator. Thanks doll."

Wow. Okay. I decided it would be best if I just played along so I took her bags, which had to have contained rocks or something because there's no way a girl needs this many clothes, up to her room.

'That's all, bye." She waved and walked into her room.

I just stood there after she closed the door, still shocked.

Really? Part of the staff?
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:36 pm
TaylorLove says...

Eliza

The room fell silent and I unpacked and just stood there. "Well, I would love to stay and chat, but I am going to have to get some air. It is so stuffy in here." I say, trying to be polite. I walk out of the room.

I look around and say all the people around me. They were all the same. I enjoy being me so I have no motivation to conform. As my strong minded self was walking through the courtyard I ran into the same young man that was carrying my bags.

"Sorry." He said.

"Oh, sir it is just fine." I say.

"Sir? I think your confused, I am not a staff member." He explained.

"No, I am not confused. I grew up where you called everyone sir or ma'am. You look much to young to work here." I say. I get off the ground and so does he. "I'm Eliza, it is a pleasure to meet you."
-Winnie the Pooh

17 Reviews

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:22 am
EllaBliss says...

~Colleen`

Waiting for the rest of the students to arrive at the North Hall, I stroll around the room in a manner characterized by grace and freedom; a deliberate rhythmical movement of my legs and feet in sync with gentle compensating movements of head and arms in a slow graceful swing. I look around the room. There is only one other person in the room. He looks like a gentlemanly type of guy. He walks over to me.

"Hello," He says. "My name is Jacob."

"My name is Colleen Vanessa, how do you do?"

"I'm doing fine," He replies. "And you?" I have never seen such a gentleman!

"I'm good, thank you." He holds out his hand to shake. I take his hand. We shake hands.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:44 am
thelostone says...

August

"I'm Eliza, it is a pleasure to meet you." The girl held out her hand and smiled.

"Uh, August." I shook her small hand before shoving my hands back into my pockets.

"We should be heading back towards the North hall now, I suppose." She smiled and began to walk back inside. "It's almost seven."

I followed her back inside but before we reached the door she whipped around and stared at me.

"Why haven't you changed?" She asked, looking over my sweatpants and plain gray t-shirt. "And you aren't wearing your name tag."

"Oh." I looked down at myself. "Too late now, huh?" I laughed. "Besides who wants to wear slacks when you can wear sweatpants."

She blinked and shook her head before opening the doors. Many students were already in the hall and I was very under dressed.

"You." An old lady with gray hair wrapped in a bun walked towards me. Her wrinkles were pointed down with anger. "Why haven't you changed into proper attire, Mister.."

"August." I answered. "August Dunning."

"I will not have my students wearing their pajamas outside of their dorms, Mr. Dunning. I am running a well respected establishment and I will not tolerate laziness. Are we clear?"

I glanced around the room and everyone's eyes were now on me.

"Crystal." I nodded.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:21 am
TaylorLove says...

Eliza

"I don't like her." I whisper, hoping no one can hear me, but then August laughs a little. I turn to him and sigh. "I cannot believe you just heard my side comment."

"If you did not want it heard you should not have said it out loud." He said.

"Good point." I say. "I still don't like her. If she does not tolerate laziness, I am going to give it to her."

"Do you think that is the best idea?" He asks.

"Well, I do not want to be here at all and I am already a lady so I might as well just get through this teenage rebellion stage in my life." I say. "Plus, it might be fun." I take off my heels and grunt as I walk around. "Ouch my feet hurt." I scream.

"Young lady, put your shoes on this instant." The old lady says with a sour look on her face.

"I would ma'am, but I am 5'5 and that means that I am that I am so far above the floor. I am just so lazy and I cannot stand to bend over just to put my shoes on." I say. "Now you have a nice day. I think those people are waiting for you on the stage. Now, I would expect you to be a prime example of a lady and not keep all these people waiting."
-Winnie the Pooh

17 Reviews

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:41 am
EllaBliss says...

Spoiler! :
Someone please take the role of Jacob :(

~Colleen`

Me and Jacob stare into eachother's eyes for what seems like forever, until our focus is interrupted by a sudden tense feeling in the room. Everyone in the room is staring at one person, so me and Jacob turn to stare at that one person, too. Since we're the only people who decided to stand in the middle of the room, people notice us more then someone would notice a person standing along the sides of the room. People's attention suddenly is directed at us. I hear a bit of conversation around the room, as if they hadn't been doing it too.

"It's rude to stare--"

"--They're almost as bad as the boy in the sweatpants--"

"--Shut up, I think the girl one hears us--"

"Gosh darn right I hear you," I mutter under my breath. A sharp glance around the room silences everyone.
Oh, I'm such a fool! I can't be free!
No escape from the storm inside of me!
I can’t control the curse!
Please, you’ll only make it worse!
There’s so much fear! You’re not safe here!

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:47 am
thelostone says...

August

I excused myself and quickly ran upstairs to change into whatever the "proper" attire was. I threw on the suit they laid out on my bed and hurried back downstairs.

"Alright everyone, listen up!" The old lady who yelled at me and Eliza called for everyone's attention. "My name is Evangeline Roosevelt and I am your headmistress. We will begin our ceremony tonight with a waltz. I assume you all know this dance, nonetheless there will be dance lessons on your schedules. Now, gentlemen, if you would kindly choose a lady and we will start our waltz."

Soft music filled the air and people around me began to dance. I glanced over at Eliza and offered her my hand.

"May I be so honored as to have this dance?" I smirked at how ridiculous that sounded. Are we supposed to sound like that all the time?

"I suppose." She smiled and lead me to the floor.

"Do you know how to dance this?" I whispered.

"I know a little." She took my hand and placed it on her waist. "But since I would like to keep my toes tonight, I suggest that I should lead."

"Whatever you say, your highness." I teased.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:21 am
TaylorLove says...

Eliza
"Well, how on earth did you know that I was a princess?" I ask.

"Just a guess." He said. We twirl around and I laugh.

"Shh." Our house lady says.

I roll my eyes and we continue to dance. "I wish this was more fun. Why can't we swing dance or something fun like that?" I ask and August.

"It is not proper." He says in a fake proper accent.

"Oh hush now. You cannot conform to their ways I was starting to like you."

"Oh were you?" He ask.

"You wore sweat pants for heaven's sake." I laugh.

He laughs with me. "That is true." He says. "And I mean, your a princess."

"Also true." I laugh. "Now, I think we should make this a little more fun shall we."

"Take the lead and I promise you will not lose your toes." He laughs.

"Okay." She waltz over to the middle and then I take the lead. We begin to swing dance and I die laughing. "Much better." He spends me around about ten times and I get dizzy and fall into his arms. I laugh again. "This might not be as bad as thought."
-Winnie the Pooh

17 Reviews

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 pm
EllaBliss says...

~Colleen`

After the waltz was announced, Jacob looked over to me.
"May I have this dance?" I said, giving him a curtsy. He gave me a surprised look, as it's the boy who usually asks. "Oh, well, I was sent here because I was... normal??" I said, wondering if I'd used the right word.
"Normal, eh," He said, taking my hand.
"Well, that's what the people in America call it, but then again, should a princess act 'normal'?" I giggled, as he pulled me into a waltz. Although I may be a bit feisty, I can still be proper.
Oh, I'm such a fool! I can't be free!
No escape from the storm inside of me!
I can’t control the curse!
Please, you’ll only make it worse!
There’s so much fear! You’re not safe here!

Gravity was a mistake.
— Till Nowak