z

Young Writers Society

Cuppa Mud Cafe

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:22 pm
artsy says...

Sebastian

I looked at him and laughed. "Did you think that when I was talking about substance, I meant compliments?" I shook my head and chuckled, amused. "I was referring to a conversation, like how you just asked me how my day was. That's what I meant by substance." I noticed he was shaking a bit. Way to go, Seb. I scolded myself inwardly. Your dry humor is what scares these guys off. What do I care? It's not like any guy could ever think about me that way anyhow.

I sat back and cupped my coffee with my hands, enjoying the warmth it sent off before slowly cooling. "My day went normal. Nothing fantastic, nothing terrible." I shrugged. "Went to the library, picked up that." I motioned toward the anatomy book sticking out of my bag. I looked down at my coffee and said quietly, "Thinking about changing my mind to see you here." Although, I don't think he heard it.

Concentrate Seb. I reminded myself. You've dealt with guys like him before. Just go through the normal routine. But maybe I didn't want to. Maybe I didn't want to expose men who went after me for the shallow-minded, selfish, and egotistical way they were. I was 21 and had a PHD in journalism, and was working towards more degrees in other fields. A Renaissance woman some called me. I had a lot going for me, sure. But my witty remarks and sharp tongue acted like bug repellent for guys who just looked for a good time, which is why I loved to toy with those jerks so much.

But the way Ken shook and stumbled over his words caught me off guard. Then I put my walls back up. "How are you?"
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:52 am
jimdandy says...

Ken

"Tired is only one way to put it." I murmured while giving my eye a rub, then giving another go at my coffee. "This coffee tastes like lead today," Frowning as I put the cup to the side. "Although it does make the flavor more industrial, I like it. Reminds me of the time I was traveling through North Carolina. Ah, I bet you don't want to really hear about that."
Ken! Snap out of the pessimism!

Jim left Tom's table and rode away on his motorcycle, I watched as it went by. Tires sounding like a radio on wet pavement, Tsssssshhooo.... Lately my weeks have been almost similar to an emotional weather report, a blur drizzle down the plate glass. Late night - early morning low clouds, with a chance of fog and showers in the afternoon, that kind of thing. Mind racing around trying to find things to converse about, likely Seb may not be interested in the things I do, philosophy, concepts of imaginary places, and coffee with a cigarette. The most wonderful combination since butter on bread.

"So, what do you do with your spare time? If you have any." Talking over the brim of my cup, gazing at that silver lining in her eyes. Gosh that's lovely, like a lunar eclipse.
Tom started fiddling around with the jukebox after Jim left. I turned over to him and yelled out, "Say! Can you put on some Sil Austin?"
Tom replied with a thumbs up and a grin, Slow Walk Came on.
Perfect
"A favorite of mine" I mention.
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus
"I didn't lie! I just created fiction with my mouth." - Homer

45 Reviews

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:36 am
artsy says...

Sebastian

I smiled at the choice. "I'm glad I'm not the only one with a taste in music." Thinking back to his question, I replied, "Normally, my response would be a curt 'Eat, shower, sleep, repeat', but you probably want a real answer, don't you?" I didn't wait for him to respond; it was rhetorical anyway. Watch yourself Seb.

"I love to read. That's probably really obvious though." I smiled. "Fiction is my favorite. I love stories." I laughed and looked down at my chilling coffee. "Strange to hear that from me isn't it? People always assume that because I dedicate my life to learning everything under the sun that I have no personality, that I don't read anything other than to learn about stuff I have to do in college." I shrugged and started tapping along with the song.

"But then again, I never tell these people, 'Hey! I like to read about ideas and dreams and travel to imaginary places in my head!' Because who would believe me? Scratch that-" I said immediately. "Who would make me care enough for me to tell them I'm normal or different than how they perceive me?" I shook my head and chuckled.
There you go again, Sebastian. You'll scare him off with your blunt words.
Why do you even care about him like that?
I don't.
Good. For all you know, he could be like every single last one of them.

I stayed silent as my dual-sided conscience battled in my head. I sounded like a real jerk. I just now realized that. Well dang. I silently waited for his reply, staring at my coffee now.
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:16 am
jimdandy says...

Ken

"My face turned a slight quizzical look. "Well, I'm not completely sure who, but you're telling me. Though what is making me any different than everyone else?" The coffee was now quite chill when I had the last gulp of it. Shook my head to get the taste down, didn't really work that way, I just did it.
"I think it's cool that you do what you do. I as well like to go to imaginary places in my mind and dream. Sometimes I'll sketch them out too. I'm not very good though. I know that If I told any of my co-workers that I read something that isn't dirty they would find me square, or loony. So I mostly lay-low, and dream of what I only can hope for."

You are letting out that deep part of you Ken, watch what you are saying for Pete's sake!
I stared out the window watching the drizzle of rain, and the cars go by. As if I was dreaming this whole time. Reality, reality. What can be considered reality if we dream so much?
I was probably losing Seb's attention in my babble, so I looked for something to say.
"I'm not just some guy, am I?" I question, now I could feel some odd feelings going through me. Similar to a pessimistic nirvana, or was that just a confused depression. How can I find myself if I find only a void?
I looked back at Seb, who was staring intently at me. Not dream-like, but as a curious interest. Or maybe I'm reading her face wrong and making myself look like a freak?
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

45 Reviews

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:46 pm
artsy says...

Sebastian

No. You're different. You admitted to having a deeper side, and you're telling the truth. You're real self is buried underneath the cocky facade you try and pull with bland compliments and flirting. You're different.

"Am I able to really answer that?" I asked in a low voice as I found myself staring at him. I had started studying his face, his expressions. When he turned back, I finally realized what I had taught myself not to. You're interested by him! I propped my chin on my hand and kept my unwavering gaze on his eyes. He was getting more intriguing by the sentence. "Do you think you're just some guy?" I completely disregarded my coffee by this point, basically staring him down, waiting for his next answer. Foot started tapping to an unrecognizable song that came on the jukebox, my stomach tying up in several knots all the while.
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:43 pm
jimdandy says...

Ken

"No one has told me any different than what I look, or seem." I give a answer that more seemed to be a simplified summary of what people thought of me.
Do people think me different? Have I even thought it? Am I too busy to think? When was I home last?
Seb's gaze seemed to be analyzing my soul. She was looking at my eyes! Of course! The eyes are the gateway to the soul.
"From what I can see inside me? I think I can be quite a bit different than everyone else. I don't want to boast, but I do believe I am unique."
All through my thoughts were interrupted by the recognition of Young Love by Sonny James. "You are obviously different, and I can accept that. I find different a unique normal. It's interesting, and so are you."

There you go again, with you're outrageous flirting! What am I to do after she gets sick of me and leaves to dream of a better man?
I pull out my pack of cigarettes and stare at them, contemplating to have one. But Seb doesn't smoke, would be rude to do so. What have I to lose? I thought, Her curiosity and intrigue I drop them over to the side of my three-quarter finished cold coffee by the window, below the ashtray. My eyes met her gaze again, and her intent stare seemed to keep probing my soul. And I sat there with a serene comfort.

45 Reviews

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:06 pm
artsy says...

Sebastian

"I like you." I finally said. "I expected you to be a little more insecure by saying that you were a normal guy. But you didn't, and I'm glad." I smiled. "You're still pretty lost though; it doesn't take a psychic to figure that out. But you're doing alright, for the most part."

My watch beeped and I checked it. Crap. Lit starts in 30 minutes. "My next class-" I looked up at him and the knots in my stomach softened. "-can be made up tomorrow." I turned off my alarms on my watch for the 2 other classes I had, all journalism classes, so I wouldn't miss anything big.

"There's a park not too far from here." I started saying. "It might be better if we got outside, fresh air, and the oxygen and whatnot." Yup. It's official. You like him.
I knew that.

I wanted to get out of the coffee shop, move my legs for Christ's sake! I had packed my running clothes in my bag just in case I had the time. The rain had stopped now, and I repeated what I had said to him after I so obviously stared at him.

I like you.
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:17 am
jimdandy says...

Ken

"Alright, I'm in need of some air too. Guide me, for I know not where this park is."
We left the cafe and went down the street toward this park. I haven't been to a park since I was a kid... What's it like?
The park was a nice green tuft on the corner of 5th Avenue and 88th Street, a quite corner of town that took about fifteen minutes to walk from the cafe. No one was there, seemed to be at home, the sun shimmered under the clouds creating a pink and purple overcast. It was starting to get cold, so I put my leather jacket back on. The oak tree to our right seemed to cast a shadow upon half the park, and under that tree was a wooden bench, worn but usable. I sat down on it and lit a cigarette, not used to walking that much other than work.

"Well, we're here!" I said to Seb, who was admiring nature near by.
She likes you, don't screw up.

45 Reviews

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:57 pm
artsy says...

Sebastian

I pulled my rain jacket tighter over me. Even though the rain had stopped, I was still cold. I closed my eyes and breathed in the fresh scent of the nature surrounding me. I searched for Ken momentarily and found him on the bench smoking. "Yeah." I smiled. "We are." I sat down next to him and shivered a little from the wind that picked up. I looked at him with a cigarette in his hand. "How long have you smoked?" I asked. There was no accusation in my intention, and I hoped he noticed that. I hugged tthe jacket closer to myself, shivering every now and then.
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:39 pm
jimdandy says...

Ken

I looked at my cigarette burning, took a drag and looked up to the sky in thought. "Been 11 years now. Don't know why I started, and see no reason to quit."
Goes too good with coffee.
I finished my cigarette and put it out. Looking over at Seb I noticed her shiver, I had a thought.
"You're cold. Come here, we'll share some body heat." She needed to be warm, and I understood that. It's not like I'm making a move am I?
I moved myself just a bit closer to Seb. To hold her close, what a feeling that would be...

45 Reviews

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:08 pm
artsy says...

Sebastian

I hesitated before I scooted closer to Ken and pressed against his arm, already feeling the warmth radiating off of it. "Thanks." I murmured. "Don't you think it's pointless though?" I asked, looking at him. "To spend money and time on that when you could use it for something else?" I paused. "Do you want a reason to quit?" My stomach knotted again when he moved ever so slightly. Focus on something. Anything. I brought my hands out and blew warm air on them. It gave me something to focus on.
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 am
jimdandy says...

Ken

I looked down at the grass beneath the bench, rubbing it with my boots. "I'm not too sure if it is pointless, I don't know what I could spend that money on, I make enough to live so it seems that I do fine with it."
I looked back up to the shrubs across, and then at Seb, leaning on my arm and her hands cupped to her mouth and rubbing them.
"What kind of a reason would you even be able to give me?"
She looked at me, again studying my facial expression, a puzzled and quizzical look on my face appeared.

45 Reviews

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:47 am
artsy says...

Sebastian

"How about living?" I said after pausing to see if he was joking or not. "You know that the tobacco in that can cause tar build up in your lungs, slowing depriving you of oxygen." Just like my father. I rubbed my hands together again. "You could save the money - donate to charity, a research foundation, or leave a bigger tip for the waiter." I looked at my hands and started blowing on them again.

"But it's your decision, I know that. I'm just telling you your options." I say the last part quietly.
I don't explain myself; why am I explaining it to him?
Because you like him. We've already established that.
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:42 am
jimdandy says...

Ken

"Living..." I sigh, I haven't lived since I was a kid. All those games of cops and robbers and cowboys and indians. Where did it all go?
It is indeed time for change.
"Living sounds like a good idea to me." I took out my pack of Kents, looked inside to see the last bent butt, threw them into the rubbish bin. Score one for me.
I looked back over at Seb, she seemed happy, content even as I threw my smokes into the trash.
"There, now I start the journey. Want to come along? I'd really appreciate the company, and-" I pause, for what could be the changing moment of my own life happens quite right at this moment.
"And I really like you."

45 Reviews

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:04 am
artsy says...

Sebastian

I smiled and hugged his as he threw away the pack of cigarettes. "Of course I would." I replied as I pulled away. "And I'm pretty sure you know that I feel the same." I shrugged as I leaned back against his arm. "What now? I've got the whole day off today, so what should we do before you need to go back to work?"
~
Will Review For Food

No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf