z

Young Writers Society

Cuppa Mud Cafe

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:39 am
jimdandy says...

Welcome to Cuppa Mud Cafe! Where the coffee is jumpin' and so are the tunes!

This is a slightly retro room, so please keep this pre-80's.

Ken Wolf

Ken Wolf walks into the cafe, Looks around past the bar glancing at the two men sitting and chatting on the far table beside the juke-box. Ken orders a coffee and takes a seat beside the window facing the street. Outside was a cold, rainy dusk. The streetlights were beginning to come on and the cars sounded like radio static on wet pavement.

Ken was a fair faced man, with square shoulders and the masculine jaw. Blonde hair slicked to a pompadour. His black eyebrows were thick and his stubble was a light five-o-clock shadow.

Ken took off his leather jacket and smelt his coffee, a rich and bold smell swelled in his nostrils as he let out a sigh, then lit a cigarette and proceeded to look around the cafe, as if waiting for someone.
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus
"I didn't lie! I just created fiction with my mouth." - Homer

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:26 pm
artsy says...

Sebastian Quinn

I walked through the doors of the cafe shaking off the rain that had somehow managed to seep under my raincoat. I took it off, revealing my overly sized deep blue top that exposed my shoulders and the hot pink mini skirt my friends had somehow convinced me to wear with the flamboyantly red high heels.

"One coffee please. Sugar, no milk." I said as I sat on the stool at the bar. I pulled out my journal and continued my work from the library.
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:54 am
jimdandy says...

As the door clinked open, Tom, Jim, and I looked over to who was ordering... And what I shock! A real looker for sure!
I wanted to run... Alas, I couldn't I'm shaking in my boots. Tom and Jim were whispering cat-calls to each-other. I ignored them.

What did I have to lose? I got up and strolled over to the blue topped beauty that caught my eyes.
"Whatcha got there? Homework? Say- Your coffee seems black, but I can smell the sugar in it. Or maybe, you're so sweet that it radiates like your beauty."
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

45 Reviews

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:21 am
artsy says...

Sebastian

I laugh as I hear the man give me the compliment. "If you count working on a newspaper article as homework, then yes." I smiled as I continued working. "Thank you for the compliment about my outer beauty, even though I'm soaking wet and I care less about how I look to the world today." I thought of my flamboyant wardrobe choice influenced by my friend earlier today. I took a sip of my coffee and continued writing.
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:06 am
jimdandy says...

Ken

"Say, what are you writing about? Murder? Theft? Politics? Good-looking fella's like me?"
Ken proceeds to sit down across from this beauty of beaut's and introduces himself. "I'm Ken, Railway Worker."

45 Reviews

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:26 pm
artsy says...

Sebastian

I chuckled as I finishe writing a sentence. "The first three actually. Separate articles of course." I put my pen down and looked at him, thinking that the silver of my eyes weren't that visible in the dimly lit coffee ship. "Sebastian Quinn. But a lot of people call me Seb. Journalist, wannabe writer, full time scholar." I smiled and held out my hand, "I guess it's not totally lame to meet you." I smirk to let him know I was joking.
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:35 am
jimdandy says...

OOC: I should stop talking in third-person and start in first...

Ken

I shake Seb's hand, gently. Not wanting to break the silent oath of fragile beauty.
"So uhm, what's going on in the wide world today?" I ask oddly, sipping my coffee until it cooled.
"Oh- Is that silver in your eyes? Wow, You get more impressive every look I take! Well, other than my never-ending train of compliments. I might have a story to put on side maybe."
I grinned just a little and put one of my eyebrows. Maybe she would turn this one down? Would it matter? I had no idea.

45 Reviews

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:32 pm
artsy says...

Spoiler! :
Well, there's nothing wrong with third-person. It's just personal preference.

Sebastian

"Well, working on some behind the scenes stuff." I read from my journal, almost forgetting to to detach my hand from his. Not like it matters. I shrugged it off. "Politics especially. A few promising candidates are brutal with all their mud slinging and what not." I took my hand away and checked my watch. "And I need to head out if I want to make it to the next interview I have with the victim of a break in." I started packing up my things.
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:03 am
jimdandy says...

Ken

"Alright, if you say so." I say in a slightly complaining way. "You should come back soon and tell me all about it. I would err, really like to see you again some time."
I put my hand back on my coffee, which was now cooled to a decent temperature.
"Here, take this umbrella. I'm not leaving anytime soon and you need it more than I do. That rain sure isn't letting up anytime soon."
I hand Seb the umbrella and after finally insisting she took it with a quick thanks.
"Cigarette for the road?" I offer, pulling a smoke slightly out of the pack.
She must really think I'm a loaf with only a pack of Kents... I thought to myself, Or think I'm awful 'cause I'm a smoker. Who would like a smoker? Thoughts for later writings I s'pose

45 Reviews

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:09 am
artsy says...

Sebastian

I took the umbrella from him gratefully. "I don't smoke." I refused tactfully, "But thank you anyway." As I turned away, I hesitated. I turned back to him. "I come here everyday around the same time after I go to the library." I explained. "I usually stay here for an hour or two unless I have something else to do." I motioned to today's events. "Which is why it's reduced to 30 minutes." I bit my lip as I contemplated if I should say it. [i]Might as well.[i]

"There's something different about you. But next time, try for less blind compliments and more substance." I kissed his cheek. "Don't disappoint me." And with that, I left.
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:13 am
jimdandy says...

Ken

I stood there in disbelief, a warm chill ran up my spine. The touch of a lady's lips upon my cheek. Wow.

Jim and Tom started whistling loudly, then got told to shut up by the barista currently. It was almost to a shift change.
I'm glad this is an all-night joint.
I sat back down, mesmerized with all that had happened. Seb's final words ringing in my ear 'Don't Disappoint me...'

I'm going to have to think of some new lines...
I sat back down to the seat where I had just sat across from Seb. Sipped my coffee, damn, all cold - But her lips! Her lips left that tingling mark of absolute nirvana.
Oh, boy oh-boy. I sighed and relaxed back in the leather seats, thinking and thinking of something with more 'substance' as she put it.

45 Reviews

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:34 pm
artsy says...

Sebastian

I walked out of the cafe and took the bus to the nearest rec center were I would next interview with the break in victim. But even while I was asking questions and making notes, my mind sometimes reverted back to the cafe, to Ken. I shook it out of my head and proceeded with the interview as normal. When I got home later that evening, I made a note to myself to stop by the cafe tomorrow a little earlier than my normal time. I closed my eyes as I thought, What am I to suspect tomorrow?

I sat at the library the following morning, my classes for the day cancelled because my Lit. Professor laid out with a cold. Though I think a majority of his students - including myself - know that he just has a painful hangover from drinking too much while grading his first year's essay papers.Glad I wasn't like that my freshman year. I thought as I skimmed through a book about human anatomy. I checked my watch; I would have to get going if I wanted to be at the cafe. I contemplated not going at all earlier, but now I didn't give myself an option to decide. I packed my thing, checked out the anatomy book, and headed for the cafe.
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:06 am
View Likes
jimdandy says...

Ken

Meanwhile, I leave work early due to double the workers on the line. I hitched a ride on a locomotive heading down the side line toward the downtown core. Had no time to go back to the apartment to change my clothes, I was tired and needed a cup of joe real bad. So I only had on my leather boots and jean blue coveralls with my leather jacket over top. I left off at the crossing 2 minutes down the street to where the cafe was. The rain was starting to sprinkle as I entered the cafe. Chances Are by Johnny Mathis was playing on the jukebox and Jim and Tommy give me a wave as I went to order my coffee at the counter, thanked the barista and sat back down at the window booth to watch the cars go by. What are my chances that I meet a lovely girl and she digs me? Not so well, but I think Lady Luck is smiling on me... Oh, well speak of that gorgeous devil.
My gloomy look becomes a grin as I see Sebastian walk into the cafe with her grand sense of style.

45 Reviews

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:27 am
artsy says...

Sebastian

My brain was fried by the time I walked up to the barista. "The usual please." I said weary. It wasn't that early, and already I was wiped out. I held the warm cup close to my nose and inhaled slowly, closing my eyes as I did so. I loved the smell of sweet black coffee, I didn't know why. I glanced down at my bag with the anatomy book in it. I sighed. There aren't enough hours in a day for what I want to accomplish. I panned the room and caught the eye of Ken. I didn't even think he'd be here by now. But I kept my usual composure. I smiled his way, picked up my things, and walked towards him.

"I see you decided to show up." I joked, "There might be some hope for you yet."
~
Will Review For Food

8 Reviews

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:28 am
jimdandy says...

Ken

"Well," I said coolly, "I got off early from the line, foreman put too many workers on today. Still worked too hard."
I smiled then as I pretended to be innocent. "And whadda ya mean by 'hope'? I'm not too sure I dig it."
I raised my eyebrow to say, "Is that anatomy? I did well in biology. Kind of wanted to be doctor, but I couldn't stand the blood."

Sipping back a coffee, I offered Seb a seat. She gratefully sat down and huddled her coffee. I could see that she was tired and fuddled from wherever she was, college most likely. Why am I shaking? I must be a bit nervous, never had a girl dig me before. Gah! I forgot what to say!
"So, uhm. How was your day? I-I erm, didn't really remember to think of things with more uhm, 'Substance'. Please forgive me."
She giggled a pure, clean chuckle.
What do I say? Or should I ask myself, who is she on the inside? I'd really like to know.

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
— Leonardo da Vinci