Young Writers Society

Unto Winter Eternal

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:13 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

It was a motley assortment of skills, that which were just listed: from cooking to a pocket dimension, the mix of people before him comprised a group clearly accustomed to hardship. Those who were not would already have been in tears—begging, praying, denying, pleading a deaf deity from another universe to save them. Noah's expression was somber but sympathetic, if subtly so, betrayed by a creased brow and lips pressed thinly together.

"All clear!" Diamond's voice came from above, and Noah glanced towards it.

"Come with me, then, and we can talk. I suggest to you that, in what time you have here, you do not come down into these chambers again. I might also add that you are not prisoners—but to leave alone is ill-advised, and we cannot protect you from the Legion, who will most certainly come upon you like coyotes to a calf." The idiom felt oddly out of place in his speech, the rhythm of it belonging to another tongue—but if any of the newcomers looked above the altar, they would see a bovine skull hanging there with engravings etched around its eyes and horns over six feet wide.

Noah led the way up the stairs, picking up the lantern on his way by. The trapdoor above opened into a hardwood hall. The house itself was built mainly of wood, brick, and stone, a structure at least as old as his deceased father, and this hall itself was no exception: worn floorboards creaked as, one by one, they stepped into the hall. Candlelight flickered and wane beneath heavy drafts in chambers already dark, and the quality of the ancient house's crepitation resounded viscerally as moans. It was the sort of narrow passage that made one claustrophobic and suspicious; the sort of architectural looming that left a constant, niggling wonder in the back of one's mind if they were being watched, or perhaps that they were so deafeningly alone none would know if they simply disappeared.

In a word? It was creepy. Very, very creepy. Abandoned-orphanage-on-a-new-moon sort of creepy.

Perhaps more curious, though, than the generally gothic air of the place was its owner's—or former owner's—apparent propensity for clocks. All in perfect tandem, they clicked along the walls of this hall and the sitting room which Noah led them to, from small timepieces that might've better been pocket watches to a grandfather clock nearly as tall as Bo sitting across from a coat rack in the entry hall. Every sound was swallowed by the space, like the shadows themselves were starved, and so the ticking became the sole source of auditory consistency throughout.

The sitting room itself held a hearth, already burning, a couch, a couple chairs, and a coffee table. A bronze effigy of another bull skull was next to the doorway, in the center of a triangle, and the rest of the space was dominated by bookshelves, covered in tomes of various languages—the amulets wouldn't allow their users to read or write languages unknown to them, but the discerning eye could spot at least four tongues scattered throughout. A heavy, black book sat on the coffee table, lacking any clear title. Beside it was a tea pot and several cups.

"Please, make yourselves comfortable." Noah gestured to the array of seating options, himself going to stand next to the fireplace and suppressing a cough whilst indicating the tea loosely with one hand in invitation for them to take some if they so desired. "Perhaps we might start with my simply answering any more questions you all have?"
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:33 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo felt a little cramped, but it was far from a foreign experience for him. Being as tall as he was, he often ran into spaces too small for someone his size. Still, he found himself trying to make himself smaller, so he didn’t take up too much space as they went down the hall.

He was relieved when they stepped into a room, and was quick to take up the unspoken offer for tea.

He grabbed a cup.

“I think the only questions I’d have remaining at the moment,” Bo said. “Are ones you don’t have the answers to. But I guess it’s worth asking if there’s any possibility of us getting home soon. Whatever soon means to you.”

He poured himself a drink. It looked like black tea, already steeped.

Still hovering over the table, he looked over to the others with a questioning look, ready to serve anyone who wanted some.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:14 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Resting his shoulder against the mantel, Noah nodded in understanding. "Put simply and frankly? No." He had to pause to draw in a thin breath, and failed in suppressing his next series of coughs, but continued quickly once he'd recovered. "Not for lack of effort, mind you—but even well-resourced, without the Legion looming over our shoulder, with the time we need, it could take months to figure out how to return you from whence you came. The error in the spell comes down to the fact that we apparently cannot accurately open a portal to a specific place. That includes wherever you all come from. So first we need to figure out how to fix our spell such that it works for a world we already know, consistently; then we must determine where you came from, how to integrate each of those places into the spell, and get the power sources to re-cast it."

Needless to say, all this with the Legion looming over their shoulder—and underneath a world blanketed in ice, where things only grew colder with each passing month—and no way of easily crating or obtaining another power source was quite the feat. Months was generous; years, even decades, was more likely. If at all.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:22 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Jo took in a sharp breath.

They could be gone for months? She liked the idea of getting a mission right from Cybele just as much as anyone else would, but that wasn't what she had signed up for. Now that she thought about it, she hadn't even signed up for something in the first place. They had just been plopped here with Kyle. Cybele hadn't even said when they were supposed to get back—not that Jo even knew if Cybele knew that.

Kyle looked over at her and mouthed a word. Jo was usually terrible with reading lips, but Kyle had mouthed that word enough in the past for them to get what he was saying. Eddie, he had mouthed. Jo took in another sharp breath at that. Eddie wouldn't be able to get here right away, but that was their thing. If they got some kind of power up, they could absolutely get to Jo and Kyle. Add in the Cute Mutants having their own teleporter, and Jo guessed they wouldn't be here that long.

So they just had to survive here for a month, tops. Jo could do that. They had gotten through the Dark Year, hadn't that? Even if it turned out this group wasn't trustworthy, Kyle and her had survived enough together. They could adapt and hide things out until help came. Bonus points if they managed to solve whatever problems this place really had in the time they were here.

"What do you need us to do?" Kyle asked.

"For us to get back home," Jo clarified, "and also if you need any help with the whole rebellion thing."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:11 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Each time the youths spoke, Noah's face twitched in minor ways betraying his regret at their being pulled into all this; it was in the few extra wrinkles of his forehead and the quality of his dark eyes when he pondered their questions.

Unofficially, Noah was this rebellious sect's leader, if for no other reason than it was his house and a field promotion in a war that ended a decade ago left him with a certain air of authority amidst crisis. But how to begin answering such a question, when he could not definitively tell what had to be done? Being unable to reach Sukur was a devastating blow.

"I don't know. We need to be doing this on Sukur, truly, to have any practical shot. The magic there...it's stronger. Older. We wouldn't need to cross the milky waters and back to get a power source. They are better versed in travel like this. The only way to get there, though, is to journey across the continent by foot and horse, through the Legion, and sneak through the gate. It's a months-long venture." He paused to pull in another few raspy breaths, closing his eyes, then cleared his throat and resumed with a strained voice. "We disregarded such a thought because I am the only feasible guide and, in so many words, my lungs are failing me. If you think the array of skills among you is adequate to brave that kind of venture with a dying man, then perhaps we could entertain it. Otherwise?" He shrugged, helpless. "We need you keep your head down, and we find a place for you here for some time, until we find a way."

he/him/his

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:03 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Brian's pointy ears twitched. His Brian senses were telling him something.

"We can't leave yet," Brian said feverishly, to nobody in particular.

"There's one more traveller who hasn't appeared yet, and they'll be here any minute."
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:47 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Jo blinked.

"How do you know that?" she asked, both confused and genuinely curious.

Kyle, meanwhile, stared down at his own hands when Noah mentioned how he was a dying man. Jo knew that expression on his face, though they often pretended they weren't able to read Kyle that well. That was the look he got when he wished he could use his power to help others—and not just himself.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:23 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Brian was also in the room when Noah spoke of his tragic prognosis, but became so distracted by his sudden prediction that he forgot about it.

He ran his fingers anxiously through his curly black hair, staring holes into the empty summoning circle at the centre of the room.

"I don't know, I've been... off? I haven't been right since I escaped that living pocket dimension. Ever since I remembered the other Brians from the abandoned timelines. I've touched something I shouldn't have. I heard disparate whispers from the backstage curtain. I don't know."

Brian addressed Noah, Carter and Diamond, dead serious. He was so sure of his prediction that in this moment, even the koalas on his bright cyan shirt looked serious.

"I'm certain you didn't summon four of us." Brian asserted. "It was five. There's supposed to be five."
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief