z

Young Writers Society

The Rainwater Society

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:36 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Esmond, meanwhile, thought it’d be far more entertaining to force a conversation between Nicholas and Biryn than to participate in one himself with either of them. So he settled for a long drink of his stout instead, keeping his silence.

“Ah, of course!” Biryn said cheerily. “You know, I’ve always admired how much effort you put into your sermons. It’s not an easy task, and to do it week in and week out for this many years is impressive dedication. I’m sure you’re laying up crowns for yourself in heaven.” Or however that old religious mumble-jumbo went. That was supposed to be a compliment, right?

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:46 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Nicholas gave Esmond a weary look but kept his eyes off Biryn. "It gives me something to look forward to at the end of the week," he lied. "And somebody's got to do it; the church would stand empty otherwise." Or be overrun by the Rainwater Society. He had no doubt Biryn would move meetings in there the second Nicholas skipped a Sunday. There seemed to be heavy implication that Nicholas was merely allowed to preach on the premises of his own church, and he had no intention of getting that allowance retracted. And moving to another town was absolutely out of the question after what happened to Christina Price.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:53 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Psh, don’t sell yourself short!” Biryn said, waving his hand dismissively. “There are plenty of other causes that church could be repurposed into supporting.” Was that a threat? That seemed too close to a threat. He was trying to keep this interaction positive. At least for now. At least on the surface. If Nicholas lashed out, then Biryn was going to ensure he looked absolutely blameless so that Nicholas seemed like the bad guy. Gaslighting was always so much more fun than simple aggression. “But none would be as earnest or well-intentioned as your life work. No, I think the church belongs to just who it should.” Even though that ownership was in itself complicated.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:21 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Mm." Nicholas sipped at his drink. It was unwise to respond to that, with positivity or otherwise. Best not to engage with Biryn at all, really. Better not to commit to anything. That was safe, and Nicholas tried more nowadays to be safe.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss