Young Writers Society

The Undead Infection

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:41 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

Vincent could hear voices in the distance. Human voices. He followed them until he found a small group of people talking amongst one another, some looking angrier than others. He wondered if it would be a good idea to approach them.

Maybe they're part of the test?

Before he could make a decision, he noticed a few more of the dead walkers making their way towards the group. Not wanting to be seen, he hid himself behind one of the metal boxes on the street. Perhaps he would wait and see how they dealt with them before he made his move?
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:59 am
View Likes
Pokeberry111 says...

Dala stumbled and fell somehow closer to the crawlers.
'Wait closer?'

They could only do one thing. Grabbing the bow they held it on their legs, getting three arrows and putting them on the bow. Holding it again, they pulled the string back with their teeth and let the arrows fly at three of the crawlers.
"If people are doubting how far you can go, go so far that you can't hear them anymore." -Michele Ruiz
They/Them
Berry/Lu's the name
Berry's Google Doc Books ^^

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:19 am
View Likes
yosh says...

"What the heck is wrong with you guys?" yelped Alex, "You're attacking those creatures?!?"

These people were lunatics. Either Alex was stuck in some weird dream, or he was playing a virtual reality game with some deranged idiots! Why were they shooting arrows at the zombie-looking stuff? Who even uses arrows anymore? These people are crazy, senile, and should've never left the insane asylum they were in before!
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:50 am
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

Ricky grinned "what too chicken? Here use this" he offered Alex a hatchet.
*boop*

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:43 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Dala's arrows all hit their targets, but only one of them actually hit one of the zombies in the forehead. Despite being slow, the zombies moved out-of-the-way just in time - one nestled itself in a zombie's shoulder, and the other nestled itself in the third zombie's arm.

Still, the force of the arrows was enough to make the zombies go stumbling back. They were still near Dala, but there was a little more distance between them and the zombies than before.

It was just the right amount of distance for Oz.

He eyed the ground around him, looking for something a little longer than the knife he had hidden in one of his coat's inside pockets. There was what looked like a rusted and moss-covered pipe down on the ground in front of him. The weight felt unfamiliar when he picked it up, but it didn't take long for the pipe to feel at home.

He rushed over to the space between Dala and the zombies.

With a burst of almost superhuman strength, he swung the pipe right into the nearest zombie's head. He'd have to rely on blunt force with a weapon like this; pipes couldn't cut like a sword. The zombie staggered for a moment as he pulled the pipe back. For good measure, he swung the pipe again - this time leaving a noticeable dent in the zombie's head.

The zombie went crashing to the ground.

(Oz tried not to think about how human the zombie's glazed blue eyes looked as the body went still.)

Two down, three more to go.

With a groan, one of the other zombies lunged at him. It was too close now to get a good hit in, but it wasn't like his pipe was his only weapon.

He kicked the zombie away, sending it stumbling back onto the grown-over pavement.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:22 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Well, it seemed everyone was getting into the thick of things now, against Nem's better judgement. To be fair, this planet was new to cos and co had no way of knowing exactly how to deal with these new creatures, but they certainly didn't seem friendly. Cos noted that the more sensible-seeming human used a pipe to aim for the head. Calmly cocking the gun, Nem raised cos weapon and aimed at one of the remaining creatures, pulling the trigger.
The gun worked pretty much like the ones Nem was used to, only the kickback was more severe and it wasn't a laser that shot out of the barrel. It caught cos off guard, and co nearly dropped the weapon in surprise.
Last edited by Ljungtroll on Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

12 Reviews

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:10 am
View Likes
Pokeberry111 says...

They wanted to get those arrows back but knew until those zombies were dead that wasn't going to happen. They got one more arrow and shot it.
"If people are doubting how far you can go, go so far that you can't hear them anymore." -Michele Ruiz
They/Them
Berry/Lu's the name

34 Reviews

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:13 am
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

Ricky charged for the zombies, his spear swinging, aiming for their heads. In his mind he drew a graph on each of their faces, finding the weak points. WHAM! One down. Just a few more to go.
*boop*

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:52 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The gun, the arrows, and the spear all hit their targets. The three remaining zombies all went crashing down to the ground. The battle was anticlimactic and lasted for far less time than Oz had guessed it would, but he couldn't help but breath a sigh of relief when it was over.

(And try his best to ignore the rush of adrenaline that was making him itch for another fight.)

He glanced around.

He couldn't see anymore zombies. He also couldn't smell or sense them, but the sight was the most important of the three right now - if he could see a zombie, they were too close.

He started to rest the pipe on his shoulder, but then he stopped when he saw it was covered in the zombie's decaying brain. He quickly shook it off over the zombie's body before putting it back on his shoulder.

"We should probably keep moving," Oz suggested. "There's no more zombies here right now, but we might find other people if we keep walking~"
mage

queer and here.

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:29 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

Vincent watched as a few of the groups members demolished the creatures walking their way. Some of them were quite skilled with their weapons. I guess that means we're on the same side then?

Once one of the suggested they should move away from the area, Vincent made his appearance.

"Hello everyone!" He walked up to the group waving his hand, "How's it going?"

Was that how normal people greeted one another?
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

12 Reviews

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:04 pm
View Likes
Pokeberry111 says...

Dala walked over to the crawlers and got their arrows back because they had no resources to make more arrows.
They/Them
Berry/Lu's the name

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

Alex did the sensible thing. He ran.

He ran as fast as he could from the lunatics who were fighting. Some of them weren't actively fighting, but they sure looked like they had the ability to! If Alex stayed anywhere nearer to one of them, he would probably die.

As if the universe completely disagreed with him, Alex tripped over a stone and tumbled down a a slab of concrete, landing feet-first into a tangle of vines.

Although it pained him greatly to, he called back to the people he was running from, "Help! Please?"
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:41 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Just a moment, just a moment." Nem held up cos hands. "What exactly is going on here? This place is populated entirely by humans, the architecture looks like something Earth had thousands of years ago, and there's something wrong with half the population. Am I correct so far? Because there is very little in this situation I understand. Does the Oligarchy control this sector?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

34 Reviews

Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:02 pm
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

Ricky laughed "you can cut the act now."
*boop*

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:52 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

There was a lot going on right now, but Oz was familiar with a little bit of chaos.

Retrieving the arrows was a good idea - he was glad that Dala had thought of that. He would have had the same thought if he was using a bow as well, but it completely slipped his mind thanks to the pipe currently in his hands.

He went to Alex's side and offered a free, rust-stained hand out to help him up.

Then he glanced back at the others in the group.

"I'm not sure who you're talking to right now," Oz said to Ricky, "but I'm pretty sure no one is acting. We don't have to all be from the same place - I'd be surprised if we were."

Especially since Oz was sure Ricky was referring to Nemthas, whose skin was a clearly nonhuman color in this light.

(Not that was Oz was going to judge. He had never had anything against people who weren't human.)

Deciding he didn't want to wait for Alex to take his hand, Oz grabbed onto him and pulled him to his feet with what would have been a surprising show of strength to anyone who didn't know him.

"I'm Oz, by the way~" he offered. Almost everyone here knew his name, but he didn't want the newcomer to feel left out or confused. He pointed to the others in the group. "Nemthas is the one with the hands up, Ricky has the hatchet, Dala has the bow, and I just helped Alex get to his feet."

He let go of Alex and took a step back.

"My theory is that we were all transported here by some kind of magic," he said. "I think we're on some form of Earth, but it's not mine. I can feel it - the magic is a little off. We're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, which is when the dead either rise on their own or the living get some virus that makes them mindless. Either way, it's not good for us."
mage

queer and here.

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
— Charles Mingus