High Point University

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:20 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Benji nodded.

"I am," he confirmed. He glanced back at Daniel. For once, his roommate didn't seem to notice him - he was too busy talking with Jerica from the night before. Not quite sure if he was satisfied or unsatisfied with what he saw, he looked back at James. "I transferred from West Virginia University. This is my first semester here."

He slipped his laptop back into his bag and went to get the composition notebook he had already set aside for this class.

"What year are you?" he asked.

xXx

Daniel raised an eyebrow.

"Looks like a hazing to me," he said. He almost commented that it smelled like one, too, but he had the tact to keep that to himself. Instead, he looked her over one more time to find something to prove his point.

His gaze landed on the side of her too-large pants.

"Do your friends all play football?" he asked.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:36 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica felt herself prickle with defensiveness as he insisted, yet again, that it was hazing. But then the deadpan way he asked if all her friends played football. The sarcasm and accusation all wrapped up so neatly into a tidy little innocent question.

She laughed.

"I made the team if that's what you're asking." She'd let him decide for himself what he wanted to think of that. Hazing -- initiation -- what did it matter at this point? What was done was done. The only thing that mattered now is that she was on the team. "Gonna be the new halfback."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:49 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"I'm a senior," James said. "What made you transfer from WVU?"
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:20 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Even though Elias was a super senior, he was still expected to do things.

One of those things was attending the mandatory early-morning Sigma Chi breakfast to initiate all the little freshmen who made it in. Elias bro'ed them all and slapped their backs, of course, but he mostly joked around with his bois: Chad, Thad, and Carter.

Later, the four of them walked towards campus because the little freshies had to be herded like sheep, but then they started to split off as 8am neared. It was rather unfortunate that Elias couldn't get his schedule to start at noon like he wanted, but on the bright side, he knew James was in this class, so the only real work he had to do was wake up and sit down on the desk.

He noticed Carter was also following his direction, which made him realize that he was in his class too. Oh, perfect. Carter was smart too, even though he was too lazy to study or tutor him. But now he could have James and Carter help with his work. And they lived together! Things were perfectly falling into place.

The two of them made usual frat-boy-style small talk and then slinked into the classroom right when Professor Lordshire seemed to be starting class.

Elias quickly scanned the seats in front of them, but they were all full. To the back it is, then. Not like that would have affected his decision to sit there even if there were open seats, anyways.

He ushered Carter to follow him to the back, and he found two last seats off to the side. He dropped his backpack on the floor in front of him—which still held last semester's items and nothing new—and with a loud creak, unfolded the desk in front of him so that he could lean on it with his elbows and play on his phone.

"Bro, check out this dank meme," he said under his breath, showing carter a meme on Reddit.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:23 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Carter smirked at the meme in approval.

"Very dank," he whispered.

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:14 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

As the last few students came scudding in, Lordy took a note of the time and stood up.

"Alright then, good morning students! My name is Professor Lordshire, and you can address me as such," he glanced around the room, "I'm going to be teaching you all the very intricate and delicate subject of philosophy."

Lordy dramatically waved his arms in the air, "You will learn to think deeply and critically about both yourself and the people around you, which means this isn't one of those classes where you can shut your brain off and hope to pass. You will be challenged mentally, and while I know that may be a hard task for some of you, I have faith you will leave this class feeling better about yourselves and the world around you." He scanned the crowd, "Or not. I don't care either way."

"Now!" he picked up a paper from off of his desk, "This is your syllabus, you should all be able to find it on Blackboardtm and if you can't then I'm not even sure how you managed to get accepted into this school. You will see that office hours are listed between 11am and 12pm right after this class, so please be sure to have all of your questions and concerns outside of that time frame. Besides that, we won't have any exams in this class because the idea of standardized testing will have the philosophers of old rolling in their graves with mere thought of putting their lessons into a metaphorical box."

"And with that being said, anyone have any questions?"
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

935 Reviews

Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:27 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

The instant he started speaking, Jerica realized she wasn't going to vibe with this class. Or, maybe she just wasn't gonna vibe with any class today. Her head still hurt too bad to deal with all this nonsense -- and the way he chose to start class.

'AnD yOu CaN aDdReSs Me As SuCh' she rolled her eyes. He clearly took himself too seriously. Far, far more seriously than she intended to take him.

"You will learn to think deeply and critically about both yourself and the people around you--"

She leaned over to Daniel. "Bold of him to assume I'm not already critical of the people around me."

"You will be challenged mentally--"

"I love being mentally challenged," she muttered sarcastically.

And then he kept going on, mocking them. Acting like they were too stupid to find the syllabus. Announcing he had no intentions of actually being a useful professor by answering questions. That he was too lazy to grade tests. She wasn't in the mood.

"And with that being said, anyone have any questions?"

"I have a question," Jerica said so loudly it hurt her own head, as she stretched her hand up as far as it would go. Bold. Challenging. "How, exactly, are you planning to fail us if there's no tests for us to 'think deeply' about?"

[they/he]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:14 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

Lordy smirked, "Well, whatever your name is in the back, while you won't be tested, you will be given passages to read and review as well as reports to write- on top of prompts that I want your reactions too. Now I hope I'm not expecting too much from you when I say you should know how to use a pen and paper as well as your brain at the same time, right?"
-Plato's Symposium

935 Reviews

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:26 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica nearly smirked, but managed to keep a serious expression. If nothing else, at least Lordshire's roast game was on point. She was still fighting the urge to smile when she soberly asked. "Is pencil okay?"

[they/he]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:29 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

"Of course," Lordy waved his hand in the air nonchalantly, "It would be unbecoming of me to expect you'd write a whole report without messing up."
-Plato's Symposium

935 Reviews

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:47 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"I mean, you are asking a lot, doc." She was still struggling to keep from laughing at his comebacks, but the delivery was best done deadpan. "Pens, paper, and my brain -- and now you're wanting a whole report, all at once? Seems a bit excessive, if you ask me."

[they/he]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:00 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

"Alright, let me give you all some life advice- off the record," Lordy began to slowly step back and forth in front of his desk, "Often times in life, during moments of great contemplation, we find ourselves asking what our purpose is. Why are we here? What is the meaning of it all?"

Lordy looked thoughtfully out of the window, "I might not be the first to tell you all this, but I hope I am not the last either. You make an impact on each and every person you meet. You leave an invisible impression on them whether you mean to or not, and that alone should justify our existence. Each one of you has impacted someone in this room, and I want you all to know that you're the reason I do drugs at night."
-Plato's Symposium

935 Reviews

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:21 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

He was done with her. When teachers went from engaging her directly to giving the whole class some "life advice" it meant that she was dangerously close to crossing the line that she loved to tip-toe on. And it meant that she needed to stop. Or she'd die.

Jerica crossed her arms and settled back into her seat, content with the trolling she'd done.

Spoiler! :

Lordshire began to wax poetic with his thoughtful, sappy sentiments that reminded her of her high school commencement speaker. About her impact and how important she was. Heart-warming. Really. She cared so much.

She was about to roll her eyes again but then he finally got to his punchline. She cackled. Maybe this class wasn't going to be so bad, after all. She rubbed her face, wishing today's hangover would go away as she thought about how this class was going to go. I'm sure you'll be the reason I drink some nights, too, Lordshire.

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:55 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James had already read the syllabus and knew what was expected of the class, but he was nervous for Jerica, who seemed to eager to challenge Lordshire after already leaving a poor impression on him yesterday. She didn't seem to care what he thought, and Lordshire was at least able to be in good humor about it all, but James felt anxious on her behalf.

She was toeing a line.

James glanced back, seeing how rough she looked.

She was in sports, right? It was only the first day of school. It was more likely she'd been hazed than she'd gone out partying.

He hoped she was alright.

He turned his attention back to Lordshire. It looked like this class was going to be very participation-based, even with the smaller assignments.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:12 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Elias looked up from his phone and wanted to say "OOOOOOHHHH" out loud like that one roast gif, but the class was so silent, he only heard people uncomfortably cough in response. Tennis girl roasted the hell out of the professor, and Elias made a mental note to not only have a future tennis rematch with her, but to listen to her unfiltered opinions about absolutely everyone.

But something told him that if he asked her to do that, he'd be the first subject. Still worth it though.

Elias suppressed a laugh and looked up at Carter with a smirk. "I think that meme came true," he said softly.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.
— Roald Dahl