The Tournament of Final Chance

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:24 am
View Likes
JoyDark says...

The Tournament of Final Chance

You, for whatever reason, have died.

It doesn’t matter who you’ve been in life, and it doesn’t matter how you’ve died, but now you are dead, and you wake up in a white blank room with one window. Through the window, you see a lilac moon hovering high in the starry night sky. A person in a white blazer and khakis greets you and alerts you of your deceased state. Though you may not know it yet, you are in a new realm—the Realm of Final Night.

This room, and the building it is a part of, is just one part of vast city of Crossroads, the last place your soul will rest. From here, there are only three options for human souls: stay in the city of Crossroads for eternity, attempting to live a “normal“ life after death; go to the Void, a pit of endless sleep that lies just beyond Crossroads; or living life as a ghost on Earth, where you come from. The only way to access this third option is winning the Tournament of Final Chance, which only occurs every 400 cycles (roughly 400 days). During the tournament, souls compete against each other in tests of skill... some tests are physical, some mental, some simple, some complex. Souls are pitted head to head, with contestants eliminated over a total of 15 rounds of competition. The event is broadcasted city-wide through televisions and other media, and it is one of the prime sources of entertainment available in Crossroads.

Nearly anyone can apply if they are able, and if they win, they return to the location on Earth of their choice, able to spend as much time there as they like. If you want to talk to a loved one one last time, haunt someone, or simply go somewhere you have never been to in life, this is your shot. However, there can only be one winner of the Tournament of Final Chance. Will your character choose to compete? If so, how far will they go?

Some more information about Crossroads:
Spoiler! :

The city is divided into parts by every century, with each part of the city separated by a wall. Within each section, all the people who died in that century are housed. For example, city section 19AD will house all the people who died in 1900-1999 AD. People can cross these walls to other parts of the city, but they need an appointment. Inside each century section, there are mini-sections that are divided by decade. People can pass through decade sections without an appointment. As you can imagine, there are a LOT of sections, but because of several skyscrapers and magical space-preserving means, space is conserved as much as possible. Still, Crossroads is a mammoth city. In each decade section, technology is roughly the same as the technology in that decade, though building designs stay much the same height and build. You spawn after your death in one of the generic rooms in the Newly Deceased Processing Center (NDPC), preferably in a more modern-time-span-city section. Each century city section has a NDPC, located in the center of the city section, manned and kept up mainly by city citizens, or deceased souls (who are paid for their service, as it is a job). In these buildings, which have an impossible amount of levels that stretch high into the sky, dead people spawn and staff greet and calm them, alerting them of their new situation, and giving them basic information about Crossroads... similar to the level of information that I am giving you now.

Each century section has a sort of mayor, a person in charge that essentially makes official decisions and keeps the city section functioning smoothly. These mayors are officially called Directors, and they look like humans, though they are immortal and often have brightly colored eyes. As such, they are often called Immortals as a species. Each of the Directors reports to The Head. No citizens in Crossroads knows exactly who The Head is, or even what they are, and the mayors aren’t talking, but the Head is the ultimate ruler and decision maker in Crossroads, and the whole of the Realm of Final Night. Other beings like the Directors act as the equivalent of law enforcement in Crossroads.

The Tournament of Final Chance is held above the city, in a floating stadium that is conjured about 10 cycles before the tournament begins. The stadium holds bunks for the contestants, several rooms for competitions, and a large outdoor arena for physical competitions. It is directed and supervised by Immortals, hosted by a Director chosen by a secret election by the Directors. There are no seats in the stadium; instead, the competition is broadcasted through radios, televisions, GrimTube, and if the technology doesn’t exist in the city section, newspapers are distributed regularly, and large screens are suspended above the city sections so citizens can watch the tournament in real time.

More about the environment; there is no constant map of Crossroads, and for many residents it seems to stretch on forever. City sections are placed next to each other in chronological order, and gates in the walls act as portals to other city sections. These are guarded by Immortal law enforcement members, with which you can make an appointment to leave your section for a certain amount of days. In your section, you can get a job, earn money, and live a normal life. Fighting is not tolerated, which is where law enforcement comes in. Despite fighting, souls cannot die again, and if injured are healed completely within hours. Souls do not have to eat here, as they are already dead, but there are options to enjoy food, drinks, and other pleasures through using money. This money must be earned by getting a job, which can be had in the city section you live in. There are buildings such as libraries, theaters, restaurants, cinemas, and even grocery stores. In Crossroads, you can essentially live another life, forever... or simply lounge at home and watch TV for eternity.

There is no sun; there is the Lilac Moon, which is the brightest moon, which always shows up with a sky full of stars, and then there is the Indigo Moon, the darker moon that hardly glows in the sky, with which the stars are duller. A cycle of both in the sky is one cycle, approximately 24 hours. Beyond Crossroads, residents cannot leave unless they choose to enter eternally into the Void. The Void is a large, black pit outside the city limits. Once you jump in, you go to sleep and fall endlessly, never waking up. Once you enter, it would be nigh impossible for an Immortal (because a human soul could never) to find you and bring you out. Besides the Void, there is wide country colonized by Immortals. Their way of life is largely unknown to residents of Crossroads.

Character Template:
Spoiler! :

Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Cause of Death:
Wants to Enter the Tournament?:
If so, why?:
Religious Affiliation (if any):
Other:

Rules and Guidelines for RP:
Spoiler! :
1. Don’t make any plot-altering decisions without consulting me first.
2. Cussing (at any level) is allowed, but please don’t abuse this opportunity. I’ll let you know if you’ve gone too far.
3. You can write for other characters, but make sure you get the person who created that character’s permission first. Collaborating on posts is totally allowed, too.
4. Anyone can write for NPCs, so just keep that in mind if you make one.
5. At a maximum, you can create two characters. If you beg and plead and make a really good case, maybe I’ll let you have three. But I want to make sure we can all keep track of our own characters’ arcs and whatnot.
5. You can definitely build on the world I’ve started to create! But, as possibly mentioned in the first rule/guideline, consult me before doing anything major. However, if you want to create a coffee shop in your part of the city, make some biases in law enforcement members, or world-build concerning how residents interact with each other, then go for it. Stuff that expands on the culture of Crossroads will usually be okay with me.
6. Lastly, this RP thread is for RP posts only. If you wanna discuss plot, character arcs, etc., keep it in the DT. That way we can keep things organized. :D

Reservations:

1. @/Plume
2. @/Yoshikrab
3. @/ChesTacos
(possibly more depending on demand/my sense of logic/level of chaos)
she/her

woah
i actually made a post
pretty radical if you ask me

'Tis the season to shovel enormous amounts of watermelon into your mouth while hunched over the cutting board like a dehydrated vampire that hasn't fed on blood in four hundred years and the only viable substitute is this questionable Christmas-colored fruit.
— Ari11