Young Writers Society

Be Our Guest

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:43 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Ari looked flustered. She had asked how she could get back to Vancouver, not when Sinestra had gone there. She mumbled something about old ladies but stayed by Frederic and Sinestra's side. These people could be of use. She could give them to the dragon person as a sacrifice to let her go...

She snapped out of her thoughts, and her eyes landed on the girl scribbling notes on a notepad. She watched her curiously. The girl seemed completely unfazed by what was happening around them. Ari wanted to shake her, tell her that they had probably been kidnapped and brought to this crazy world where talking armors and dragon people lived and they were probably going to be killed.

Maybe this is a dream, she thought.

She pinched her thigh as hard as she could. She seethed at the pain.

"Dangit," she cursed under her breath.
*insert quirky signature here*

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:01 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Alan barely had time to react before he found himself getting yanked by Devony. She would have been strangely stealthy and agile... if it wasn't for Alan's heavy footsteps and yelping out one-syllable variants of "hey"—"what"—"just"—"wait" all the while trying to slip out of her grip.

Thoughts of the talking fish-lizard man seemed to melt away in Alan's mind, but in the midst of the hazy concentration of being free, he did hear the babbling book girl emphasize that the the creature may be a "dragon," whatever that is.

Devony went up to the dragon man and pointed out that he was hurt, and as Alan felt his hands clam up from the chaos of the day, he felt it: a tingling, burning sensation. Well, to him it was a pleasant prickle of his hands like a massage or gentle kisses, but he knew it wasn't like that for Devony, the recipient.

Alan immediately retracted and stopped the connection, rubbing his hands together with his mind racing as he tried to think of a distraction while hoping Devony miraculously didn't notice.

Rags. He dug in his pant pockets and pulled out two rags while a veil of satisfaction seemed to wash over his face that these had more of a use than to wipe off sweat. Without wasting another second, he concentrated on tearing the rags in half and tying them together.

"Here," Alan said, offering it to the dragon man. "It's not much, but I can wrap your injury for you." He looked at the dragon man's eyes then back at the cut, hesitating to come any closer without confirmation since, ya know, he threatened them all with a sword a little bit ago.

It was also a little gross that the makeshift bandage smelled like old socks, but maybe dragons don't have a sense of smell.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:31 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Even if he hadn't been focusing on the blood, Nendros would have likely been unable to keep track of the conversation. Most of his body was acting on adrenaline on this point, but the part of him that wasn't recoiling at the sight of something so harmless realized that he hadn't been around this many people in a long time.

...And that same part of him realized he didn't want to act like he had all the way back then.

But the majority of Nendros was in the middle of panicking about the blood, so thoughts about how much things had changed were quickly shoved to the very corner of his mind. He was vaguely aware of Aska jumping beside him when one of the girls suddenly tapped him on the shoulder; he was just as aware of Aska taking the rags with a quiet word of gratitude and the reassurance that he could take care of the cut for Nendros.

Aska's hands had been shaking when he first came out of the castle, but they moved with an unsurprising steadiness as he wrapped the rags around the cut. It didn't cover it all the way. But it was enough for the memories of blood to fade to the recesses of his mind, and enough for the world around him to finally feel real again.

"Thank you," Nendros quietly said - both to Aska and to the boy who had been so kind to offer the rags in the first place.

The color returned to his cheeks.

He surveyed the group again, trying to wrap his head around what Aska had said right before he pointed out the blood. Aska said they weren't a threat; Nendros was starting to agree. The girl with the colorful hair - who still made Nendros feel nervous - had even asked about a place that he had never heard of.

And then there were the questions about if he was warm-blooded or cold-blooded. Nendros was shocked to realize he hadn't ever considered that question before. What was he now? He was still warm-blooded, right? The sun felt good, but he didn't need the heat-

He was suddenly hit by a terrible smell.

Sniffing the air, he glanced down at the source: the makeshift bandage on his arm. He'd definitely have to change that once they got inside.

He picked up the sword from the ground, awkwardly resting its tip on the garden pathway.

"You're...You're not from this region, are you?" Nendros finally guessed. "I've never heard of Vancouver before. Which direction is that in-"

He was cut off by Aska giving a startled gasp from beside him.

"They're like the heroes from the story we just read!" Aska realized, pinpricks of golden light growing brighter in his eyes. "They must have come from another world. That's why they weren't as scared of us, and why neither one of us has heard of Vancouver before!"

If Aska had a regular face instead of a helmet, Nendros was pretty sure he would have been grinning from ear-to-ear with all of his excitement. And Nendros felt like grinning, too. That had been a really good story. They had reread the ending two times already, and they had finished it less than a fortnight ago.

The urge to grin faltered.

"That doesn't explain why they're here, though," Nendros pointed out. "The ones brought to the other world were there because they were heroes who had to fight an evil enemy. We don't have an evil enemy."

Aska faltered.

"...We have Tieth," he softly said.

Nendros faltered, too.

"...Yeah," he admitted. "We do."

He glanced back at the strange group of people standing in the gardens. They were probably being a little confusing right now, but standing in the gardens wasn't going to do the group any good while they listened to an explanation.

"I know you probably don't really trust me after what I said earlier," Nendros said, "but I'm, uh, not really a powerful king. And this sword is, er, more of a wall decoration-"

To prove his point, another chunk of stone wall fell off of the sword.

Nendros gave an awkward, sharp-toothed smile.

"But there's nowhere to sit out here, and I think it might be a good idea to sit down while we talk - I even know the perfect place to!"

He turned to head back towards the castle, but then he suddenly remembered he had forgotten something incredibly important. He spun back around, slinging his bandaged arm around Aska's metal shoulder and giving it a tight squeeze.

"My name is Nendros," he said, "and this is my best friend, Aska."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:26 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

"Definitely not Belecthorian names," Sinestra deduced. "Nor would they be Latin, I think, nor Greek, German, Misericord, or a vast majority of the other Tongues..."

Sinestra narrowed her eyes at the both of them, circling to one side as if to size them up. Frederic fearfully watched her, praying that she would cause no one any harm, lest he would risk denting his frying pan against the back of someone's thick-skulled head.

"Now, Aska could be derived from the Hebrew for Hannah, but given that this is neither Earth nor Belecthoria, that would be highly unlikely."

The old woman turned and looked at the sky, apparently looking for something.

"The stars are different here... Hmm... Curious, I dare say. Faint and distant they are, bur visible, even if just barely, to a well-trained eye... Frederic?"

"Yes, ma'am?" the Dragonheart answered dutifully.

"As soon as you can find it, you'd do well to fetch a pipe with just a little bit of tobacco-- the sooner, the better."

"Cancer--"

"--does not harm me, young man, you ought to know tis by now. I've smoked since I was in my twenties, and I daresay that it is quite obvious that I am no longer in my twenties. Now, once you find some, bring it straight to me, or I'l cane you myself."

"Yes, ma'am," he replied somewhat fearfully, not at all certain as to whether or not she was joking.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

4074 Reviews

Reviews: 4074
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:01 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

"Names are names, and they have power," said Vankous, stepping forward again," but they are of no importance. Sitting, on the other hand is extremely important. I would like to get to that part...also is your evil villain some kind of dentist? What other person would call themselves teeth of all things?"
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:21 am
View Likes
Valkyria says...

Devony rubbed her hand and looked at it. That was strange. Her hand was burning, and yet the only mark she saw was a red streak.

But, she hadn't been anywhere near fire. She had held Alan's hand, but... it couldn't have been him. Devony turned to him.

"Hey, sorry for pulling you without warning," she told him. Devony looked down at her hand and winced a little.
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:27 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Alan nodded and was glad to pass on the rags over to the dragon man. He would normally never give someone sad smelly rags to heal their injury, but so far his time here has been so ridiculous that this didn't bother him. So much was happening around him so it was hard to keep track, but the Aska and the dragon man—Nendros—suddenly seemed excited that they were all there.

An old woman, bearded man, and skinny man with messy hair seemed to bicker about their names, but all Alan could think about is what was going to happen next. Were they going to go to the throne room? What did Aska mean that they were like the heroes from the story? And what was this about evil enemies?

Maybe he should talk to the others here and get a sense of what they're feeling about all this...

As if right on cue, Devony turned to him to apologize, but based on her expression looking at her hands, he knew that he should be apologizing to her.

He shook his head, taking a glance down her hands and immediately feeling awful. "No, I'm the one who should be sorry. Are you okay?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:38 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Nendros exchanged a look with Aska after hearing the woman's request. Neither one of them said a word, but they came to the same conclusion: both were going to skillfully avoid mentioning that the castle didn't have any pipes in it. They were also going to completely avoid mentioning the lack of tobacco. If the woman - or anyone else - asked, Nendros was going to play dumb. She had already been ready to fight before; he didn't want to see what she was like when she was disappointed.

"Her name isn't Teeth," Nendros awkwardly said, turning his attention to the man in the white coat. "It's pronounced Tea-eth. And she's not really evil. She's, uh..."

He faltered.

"...Complicated," Aska quietly finished.

Nendros gave a nod.

"But we can talk more about her and the castle once we sit down," he hurriedly said. He turned back towards the castle, arm still wrapped around Aska's shoulder. "We'll show you the way."

Before anyone could object or ask more questions, they started for the castle doors.
mage

queer and here.

311 Reviews

Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:07 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Sinestra followed, unsure as to whether or not she would merely beat them both half to death at some point in the near future or simply let them be-- after all, she didn't have her magic at the moment, so she couldn't just glance into the future to see what was coming, though.

"Frederic?"

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Take a note-- upon your return to Belecthoria, ensure that there is someone around to bury you. I'll be around there in several years after your dead, and I'd rather tell you now before I go senile from a lack of magic."

"You aren't already senile?" Frederic asked, praying she wouldn't cane him.

"Heavens, no!" she replied. "It takes several weeks with a lack of magic to go senile. I daren't think we shall be here long enough for that to happen, though... Anyways, burial. Make a Thiran do it, if you must. Whitestar Manor already has termites, I'd rather it not be totally condemned because of rats, roaches, and rodents."

"...okay, then," he said, unsure of how he was really supposed to reply to that.

Sinestra suddenly snapped her fingers suddenly. "I forgot to vote early in America when I was last there. Damn it. I'll be [redacted] off if..." She trailed off, Frederic just continually staring at her, having no idea what she was rambling about.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:03 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

They led the group inside.

The halls of the castle would have seemed long and confusing to anyone who hadn't lived in it before, but Nendros knew the layout of the castle like the back of his hand. Aska knew it even better than him; he had been there for far longer. But even though the walk was seemingly a long one, it really wasn't. Their destination was one of the closest rooms to the entrance of the castle.

They came to a stop in front of two large, wooden doors.

Nendros turned around as Aska went for the handle.

"Before we go in, I just wanted to give a warning. Please be polite to the furniture - it gets upset if you're disrespectful. And it's probably a good idea not to touch anything because Aska and I are the ones who would have to tidy up later on."

He glanced over at Aska.

"...Did I forget anything?"

Aska gave a tiny shake of his head.

Grinning, Nendros turned back to door in front of him. Aska pushed one door; Nendros pushed the other. With a loud, echoing creak, the two wooden doors slowly opened up into an absolutely massive room filled with towering bookshelves that seemed to go on for an eternity.

"Welcome to the library," Nendros said.
mage

queer and here.

278 Reviews

Reviews: 278
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:30 am
View Likes
LittleLee says...

Rea took on step in and swayed. "Books," she whispered. "Books! There must be hundreds of them! Everything I'll need to know! Oh, this is wonderful!"
With several squeaky noises of joy, she wandered off in an absolute daze, wiping her hands carefully before tracing the spines of the books she passed. Sh grinned at the couch, then came back and attempted to grab Nendros and give him a kiss on the cheek.
"I believe a man does what he can until his destiny is revealed to him."

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:10 am
View Likes
Lib says...

Ari gaped at all the books. "Oh my gosh," she mumbled, scanning the ceiling high bookshelves that contained book after book after book after -

Goosebumps ran up her arms as the heat of the roaring fire reached her body. Her shoulder muscles untensed a bit and Ari let out a sigh she didn't know she was holding. She eyed the couches that looked as comfortable as her bed at home. As much as she wasn't interested in reading, the cozy environment made Ari want to curl up onto one of the couches beside the fire and read a book even if it was as boring as her math teacher.

Ari chewed on her lip. She knew she couldn't waste time. They were in a library where they had to be polite to the furniture (What type of person - dragon human in this case - cared so much about a furniture's feelings? Anyway, Ari wasn't the type who would flop onto a strangers' couch.), which definitely wasn't something people did back in Vancouver.

I guess I'll just wait for answers, then.
*insert quirky signature here*

311 Reviews

Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:22 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Sinestra hummed as she walked into the library, running several of the best performances of the Golden Girls that she could remember through her head. "Over there... over there... send the word, send the word over there..." She went on humming, Frederic comedically stopping to mock-salute her. In turn, the old woman took her cane and tripped him. "It will be worse next time-- assuming there is a next time."

"Yes, ma'am," Frederic grunted.

4074 Reviews

Reviews: 4074
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:36 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Vankous nodded approvingly at the library. He could always respect a place with a large library, well a large library of knowledge that is. Reaching into all these shelves seemed like a ridiculous amount of unnecessary work. Have they never heard of an e-book?

"So, do you have like a magical, search, summon book system?" he said completely disregarding the rules as he grabbed a book and flopped down on a couch. All rules were made simply because they needed to be broken. A rule that was never broken wouldn't have to exist after all. He turned to the dragon man," Searching sounds exhausting. And why on Earth do you need to be polite to a couch?" he asked.

"Why Mr. Couch, I believe you look quite nice today," he said in an exaggerated voice, making a face at the couch, "I mean seriously?"
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:06 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Nendros froze the moment the girl came back to the group and kissed him on the cheek - he hadn't ever expected that someone would suddenly kiss him when he looked like this. He would have stammered out a reply, but the man with the white coat quickly took his attention.

Aska had ducked behind Nendros the moment the insult had been issued. Also worried, Nendros started to say that the man really needed to apologize to the couch. But Nendros always forgot just how quick the enchantments were, and this was the perfect reminder.

Right after the exaggerated voice slipped out of the man's lips, the couch turned itself over - with the man still sitting on top of it - and whacked him in the face with one of the cushions.

"That's why you need to be polite," Nendros quietly said. He didn't think anything else needed to be added after that.

He walked over to the man and lifted the couch off of him with ease. Just to make sure the couch wasn't further offended, he carefully put the cushion back with a muttered apology. A little extra pat on the back of the couch didn't hurt, either.

"We do have a magical book search system," he said, reaching a hand out to the man, "but it's not bad looking for the books after you figure out where everything is."
mage

queer and here.

*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble