Young Writers Society

The Wayfarers

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:59 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Everything happened so fast. One second, they were in front of Kaz's apartment getting yelled at by his mean old dad, and then all of a sudden people marched out of the apartment to yell, order, and then arrest Kaz. Then the next second, their surroundings shifted and blurred into something—someplace—new.

Elias blinked, unmoving as he stared at his new surroundings. He was suddenly standing in front of a door made for giants, and the house in front of him was huge, which only affirmed his belief that giants lived there.

He began to frantically look around, and behind him he could see that they were near a body of water. It smelled like fish and salt. The ocean?

He looked off to his side and saw Annabeth nearby, but no one else. He remembered her glaring eyes and snippy comments, and he wondered if she was still angry at him. They haven't exactly talked about what happened, and he was hoping that ignoring his own problems and focusing on the new one of being in a new magical place again would distract her.

"Where are we?" he asked her, as if she had all the answers. "What happened to Kaz? And where did everyone else go?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:45 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hades was confused.

Very confused.

Whatever had happened in the room before didn't feel like a conclusion - it felt like it was leading into something. Hades had overcome the imposter that had sat on his throne. Elias's trial had been long, too. This couldn't be the end of whatever part of Kaz's life they had stumbled into.

But Hades found himself just as confused as before. He didn't know where he was. He didn't recognize the clothes he found himself wearing. And when he looked around the tiny little room they were in now, he was horrified to realize that both Elias and Annabeth were missing. Maggie and Kaz were both there; he could take comfort in that.

It just didn't make his worry over the two of them go away.

He looked around the room again, trying to get some kind of idea of where they were. It wasn't exactly what he was used to, but...

Understanding dawned on him.

"Is...Is this a prison?" he asked, getting off of his bed and joining Kaz by his. "What crime would you even be tried for?"
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:41 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Maggie sat down on one of the beds and watched the other two interact.

Prison.

Of course.

Most everyone who was summoned by the mist seemed to deal in death one way or another, it made sense that at least one of them had been to prison, or was afraid of it, at least. Afraid of losing his kid and going to prison.

That was what this was, wasn't it? A tour of their fears.

Maggie couldn't care less. Their turn was coming up, and until then, they didn't have a reason to get invested.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:47 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

Annabeth blinked as her surroundings changed once more. Instead of standing in an apartment, she and Elias were standing in front of a large house near the ocean.

Wait...she and Elias?

Annabeth whirled around, hoping that the other three were right there with them. But they weren't.

The last thing she saw was armored policemen storming the apartment and surrounding Kaz.

And then the environment shifted.

Annabeth didn't realize she was staring out at the ocean until Elias spoke to her. She only heard his last question though.

"...Where did everyone else go?" he asked, looking at her.

She bit back an impatient sigh. For someone so close to her age, he could act like a little kid.

"I don't know," she said, shrugging her shoulders. "I don't know what this place is." Annabeth stared up at the imposing house. It looked pleasant enough, she supposed, but after the adventure she's had so far, there was probably something sinister behind it.

But they had nowhere else to go, and they didn't have any transportation anyway.

"I hope they're all right," she muttered. Looking at Elias, she stepped up to the large door.

"Be careful," she told him. "We don't know if we can trust whoever's inside."

And that said, she knocked three times.
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:46 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir sighed and leaned forward, with his elbows on his knees and his face in his hands.

"Yes," he said wearily. "It's a prison, Hades. Now can we just ride this out until it's over and the mist comes? I'm sick of this dream."

--xxx--

There was a few seconds' delay, but then the door opened, and a woman in a plain black suit opened the door.

"Can I help you?" she asked.

From behind her, a young man - no, a very tall teenaged boy poked his head out from behind her curiously. A quick glance revealed that he very closely resembled Kazimir, aside from slightly softer features, a friendlier expression, and slightly darker skin and hair. He should've looked about 16, but his height and build would've made him easily pass for a few years older if he didn't have such a young face.

"Who is it?" the boy whispered. The woman, who appeared to be a guard or assistant of sorts, tried to wave him away, but he didn't shoo.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:57 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hades wanted to say more.

He wanted to keep asking Kaz about the crime that he had supposedly committed. If they couldn't wait this out and were instead brought to trial to determine Kaz's punishment, Hades wasn't sure they'd be able to actually get through this specific challenge.

But he could tell how put-out Kaz was right now, and he knew it wouldn't be good to push.

He sat down next to Kaz.

"Okay," he said.
mage

queer and here.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:18 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Elias stared at the door in anticipation after Annabeth knocked, shifting his weight side-to-side. Maybe this was where Kaz secretly lived? A giant house? He had no idea.

Some second passed, and Elias got his answer: Kaz did not secretly live here.

At least, he didn't think so. A woman answered the door instead, and a tall boy that looked to be around their age poked out from behind him. Elias squinted at him, and then it clicked. He was practically a young Kaz.

Fortunately, Elias was not that dense.

"Are you Bo?" he blurted out, connecting the dots when Kaz kept mentioning that he wanted to see his son Bo.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:41 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir didn't move when Hades sat beside him, but he did look at Hades's feet.

"You look stupid in that uniform," Kazimir muttered as an insult, but his heart wasn't in it.

--<>--

The woman at the door looked ready to say something, but the boy interjected.

"Depends who's asking," he said.

The woman glared back at him.

"Who are you?" Bo asked, pushing past the woman much to her apparent chagrin. She backed off stiffly but didn't leave. She stayed watching.

"I've never seen you at school before," Bo said, leaning on the doorframe. "I mean unless you're new neighbors. I don't know. You tell me."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:20 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Elias glanced at Annabeth. He probably should have let her talk... but Bo was talking to him, and Elias had no filter.

Well, a little filter. He knew enough to know that this was likely a precarious situation that proceeded Kaz's arrest.

"My name is Elias, and this is Annabeth," he casually said before she could say anything, gesturing to himself and then over to her. "We're not your neighbors, but we are your friends. Well... uh, kind of."

He cleared his throat and looked over at Annabeth with gesturing eyes.

"Yeah, Annabeth can explain."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:54 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

When Bo's eyes landed on her, Annabeth gave him a little wave. She wracked her brain.

How do you explain this whole situation without sounding crazy?

"This is going to sound absolutely crazy," she began, "but just bear with me. I would've thought this was crazy too if I wasn't already here." Annabeth took a deep breath.

And she told him everything that had happened after they had appeared at Kaz's house.

"Then, these policemen, I guess, swarmed the apartment, surrounding us, and everything changed," she said. "Elias and I ended up here at your house, but Kaz, Hades, and Maggie were nowhere to be seen. They must be in jail, but why Elias and I are here is a mystery."
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:14 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

The whole time Annabeth talked, Bo's face grew more and more creased with worry. He stared at Annabeth the whole time, not looking away.

Back in the house, the woman disappeared about halfway through Annabeth's explanation.

A few seconds of silence filled the air as Bo's gaze became unfocused, and he suddenly glanced behind him, nervously. When he looked back, it was clear that he was trying to mask his anxiety but failing.

He stepped forward through the door and closed it behind him.

"Man, you guys really know how to just - lay it all out there," Bo whispered. "Um-- okay."

He swallowed, looking like he was fighting back tears.

"You guys should really get out of here," he said, still keeping his voice low. "Before--"

Then the door opened behind him, and Bo almost fell back into it but caught himself on the doorframe.

Standing in the doorway was an older woman. She was almost as tall as Bo, and looked strong and wiry for someone her age. She had a thin scar running through the corner of her lips and short, pixie-length hair that was almost a platinum grey. But her most distinguishing features were her glass eye, which didn't follow her other eye as she looked from Elias to Annabeth, and her resting unsettling grin that seemed to match Kazimir's.

"Oh, Bo," she said in a russian accent thicker than Kazimir and Matvei's combined. "These your friends? Come, come on in. Be a good house guest."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hades blinked.

...How was he supposed to reply to that? It wasn't like he disagreed. He felt stupid wearing the clothes that had suddenly appeared on him. But he also had a feeling that it was meant as an insult, and he wasn't sure if he was supposed to be offended by the attempt.

"I feel stupid wearing it," he awkwardly agreed.
mage

queer and here.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Elias simply nodded along while Annabeth spilled, and surprisingly, Bo seemed to absorb everything and believed them. Yes, good, great. If he were him, he'd have thought this was one big elaborate joke. A messed-up joke, but still a joke nonetheless.

Suddenly an older woman with a scary glass eye appeared, and she spoke in an even thicker and funnier accent than Kaz and his dad.

Elias glanced at Annabeth, then at Bo.

"Yeeees," he said convincingly. "We're his friends from school. Here to, uh, do homework together. Isn't that right, Bo?" he said with a everything-is-fine smile, taking up the woman's offer to enter the house.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:15 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

The woman backed away and opened the door wide, and Bo shot Elias a pointed look filled with anxiety before he turned back around and shot his grandmother a smile.

"Yeah, we're in algebra together," he said, waving Elias and Annabeth in. "Elias, Annabeth, this is my grandma. You can call her Mrs. Petrov."

Mrs. Petrov laughed, and slapped Bo on the back. Bo's smile grew more strained.

"Call me Vesna," she said. "I'm not that old yet! Why don't you take your friends into the living room and Tati will get you some snacks."

Bo nodded. "Okay. Thanks baba."

Vesna leaned in and kissed Bo on the forehead before walking off down the hall, and Bo turned back to Elias and Annabeth, walking past them to close the door behind them.

When Vesna was out of sight he furrowed his brows and pursed his lips in worry and frustration.

"Well, come on then," he said, leading them into the living room.

Spoiler! :
Here's what the living room looks like because I am at max capacity and am too lazy to describe living space looooool

"Go... sit down I guess," Bo said, gesturing to the abundance of options they had with a sweeping motion of his arm.

--xx--

Kazimir laughed at that, but it was a sad, sad sort of laugh.

"So do I," he said.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:12 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hades gave him a soft look.

"...I feel like this is some kind of punishment," he muttered, pulling at the cuff of his sleeve. It didn't make sense; punishment wasn't supposed to happen until after a sentence had been decided. But Kaz's time was far different than anything he had ever seen before, and he was starting to wonder if even the way criminals were dealt with had changed.

He glanced at Kaz again - his gaze momentarily going over to Maggie, too.

"...What comes next?" he hesitantly asked. "After being in this cell?"
mage

queer and here.

Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria