Young Writers Society

The Warehouse: A Rebooted Superhero Story

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:10 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes was getting a sinking feeling in his chest.

He was starting to come to the worst kind of realization: the realization that he was going to have to be in charge. Normally, he didn't mind being the leader. It wasn't something that ever really bothered him. But as two more people dressed as superheroes appeared out of seemingly nowhere - the first from the rafters and the second from the shadows - he was starting to realize what kind of leader he'd have to be.

The adult kind of leader.

There was one other adult in the room, but Maahes had a sneaking suspicion that Adrid wasn't the best around children - considering that she thought Molly would be getting an ax someday. Maybe Adrid was from another world; that would explain why she seemed so out-of-place right now.

But the majority of people here seemed to be from Earth, and Earth's standards for teenagers was usually a little different.

...He just hoped this wouldn't be too bad, even though Asher saying he was the god of thunder set off a lot of warning signs.

He could handle this. He had handled Arin during a sugar high and Molly when she got the sudden urge to run around the house and climb over everything, so how hard could this be in comparison?

"I don't think anyone here is responsible for us all ending up in this warehouse," Maahes carefully said. Molly, whose eyes were already closing as the excitement finally started catching up to her, gave a very sleepy nod before resting her head on his shoulder. "I've been transported and changed in situations like this before, and it's never been the fault of someone in the group. Someone else must have brought us here, but I'm not sure who they are or why we're dressed as superheroes."

He glanced at the others in the group, giving a little nod as he introduced them to the two newcomers. "Asher is dressed as Thor, Adrid is dressed as Lady Thor, and Harper is dressed as the Scarlet Witch. I'm Maahes, and this-" Here he looked down at Molly; she was fast asleep. "-is Molly."

He turned his attention back to Ollie and the unnamed girl dressed as the Flash.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:07 pm
View Likes
Shadeflame says...

Asher scowled. "I'm not just dressed as Thor, I am Thor, no matter what she," he pointed at the girl, "says."

He brandished the hammer. "You see, it should say 'Whoever picks this up shall have a power of Thor' or something like that." He ran his fingers over the handle, searching for the inscription.

"It's here somewhere," he muttered, then gave up a few moments later. "Whatever. I'm still Thor because I can pick Bonecrusher here, up." He gave the hammer a loving pat. "And also because I summon lightning, so take that sword girl."
Last edited by Shadeflame on Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English isn't a language, it's three languages stacked up on top of each other wearing a trenchcoat.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:11 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Had she said anything?

Adrid glanced blankly at the threatened young man, and thought it over. No, she hadn't.

And Lady or otherwise...who was this Thor?

The boy's manner begged for a mutually riling response, but the prospect of indulging a rivalry with this child would have remained equally unappealing even if she had known what this Thor business was.

"It is a magnificent hammer indeed," Adrid conceded robotically.

As she did indeed think the hammer was magnificent, the guardswoman should have been able to pull this sentiment off, but being called 'sword girl' had caused her sincerity to fizzle out.

She was holding an axe.

And she was a cross-spear woman, obviously.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:40 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Harper sat back on her heels and watched as her pretty-faced acquaintance declared himself the real Thor.

She wouldn't go that far. She'd tried to invoke Thor in a few spells over the course of her spellcasting career, and this guy didn't seem to have an inkling as to who she was when they met a few minutes ago. So, new-appointed Thor seemed more likely.

Regardless of who he was, the bickering was irritating her.

She got up and dusted herself off. "Can we please not have an argument?" she requested sweetly, "We've all got cool new powers - except Batman and Robin - I don't see why we're not more focused on that right now."
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

59 Reviews

Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:55 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

And then Adrid recognized that she was not the one that Thor had been talking to.

That was almost embarrassing, but she decided that it was not, for it was a simple thing to mix up the recipient of a message with a room as full as this was. Very simple.

Anyway, Adrid thought that her attempt to defuse the possible conflict was quite clear in intent, but there was no sense in protesting.

"No argument necessary. I am Adrid, he is Thor, nice and simple."

"Who are you?" she added politely.

Silently she prayed to the Mother that at least this girl might stick to one name. Then she might remember it.

95 Reviews

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:02 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Harper," Harper responded cheerily and straightened, brushing herself off - she was beginning to think that this outfit suited her pretty well. She'd have to keep it, or get a new one when she got home, whichever. She extended a hand to Adrid, "It's nice to meet you, Adrid."

It was mom's rules, mom's politeness, but a girl like Adrid earned a bit of politeness. How much time did this woman spend at the gym? Which gym did she go to? Harper had to know.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:10 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes resisted the urge to sigh.

He knew a Thor. He had barely been able to meet that Thor before, but he was lucky enough to have read reports on SG-1's encounters with him. That Thor was nothing like Asher - if anything, he was more like Adrid. Shifting Molly's weight a little so she wasn't leaning too much up against his shoulder, Maahes absentmindedly wondered if having an Asgard here would have been all that helpful. They wouldn't have known anything about pop culture, but they might have been able to tell him why he was suddenly a human.

"Our abilities have changed, too," Maahes relented, "but you're not actually Thor. You just have his powers. None of us here are the heroes we look like."
mage

queer and here.

4074 Reviews

Reviews: 4074
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:17 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Cass broke out of her reverie as she heard the word powers. Oh. My. God. I never thought of that. I have powers now. Or do I? I don’t feel any different. She looked around at the assorted people in the room and everything seemed normal. She shuffled back, trying to get into as dark a corner as possible. Being in a place with so many people, especially strangers, was terrifying and she was glad that no one had tried to talk to her. Stop imagining things like that Cass. You’re only going to scare yourself.

Trying to dismiss the fears from her mind, she focused on seeing if she did indeed have any powers. She concentrated and stared at the room. Unfortunately, nothing magically appeared and told her what to do. Maybe I should just run? How else can I check for super speed?

She tried to steel herself to do it when she saw a large dust particle drift down to the floor next to her face. At first glance, she didn’t pay any attention but as she looked closer she realized the speck of dust was actually a fly and she was somehow able to see it gently flying downwards. Each individual beat of its wings were happening as if she was watching a slow motion video. Well. I guess that confirms it. And that means. OH MY GOD I HAVE POWERS.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

41 Reviews

Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:52 pm
View Likes
Shadeflame says...

Asher rolled his eyes. "But then that means I'm still Thor," he pointed out. "Since I have the powers of Thor, and I can lift the hammer, then I'm Thor, and therefore I get the title God of Thunder."

He shrugged. "But whatever. Now, since nothing important is happening..." He took a few steps away from the group. "I wanna go outside and test out my new powers."

Looking back over his shoulder, Asher glanced at Harper. "Want to come with me?" he invited her.
English isn't a language, it's three languages stacked up on top of each other wearing a trenchcoat.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:01 pm
View Likes
Lezuli says...

Ollie had been silent for a long time now as the rest of these people argued over the authenticity of the so-called 'Thor'. Whoever the dude was, calling him 'Thor' seemed to be the best way to make him shut up so Ollie decided not to argue.
Besides, she was still stuck on what the person called Maahes had said. Transported to another world with different abilities? If what he had said was true, then that meant that there was a reason Ollie couldn't use her powers. They were gone.
Not a pleasant thought. Ollie wanted them back. Immediately. Especially if that Thor-wannabe was going to exercise his powers, she wanted something to protect herself with.
She tried to summon powers of any kind. Nothing. Just great. She had swords and guns and that was it. Oh, well, she supposed she could work with this, eventually.
"Want to come with me?" the Thor-wannabe said to Harper, and this time Ollie had to intervene.
"Excuse me," she said to the Thor-wannabe. "But didn't that one," she pointed to Maahes, "Say that we were in a world not our own? Perchance leaving this place, even if you have the powers of a Level 5 electrokinetic, is not such a good idea?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:31 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes wanted to agree, but he never had a chance to.

There was a sudden crashing noise from nearby. Maahes turned to see something crashing through the nearby wall. It only came to a stop when it slammed into one of the beams supporting the warehouse's roof. It took Maahes a second to realize that the something was actually a someone, and another second to realize that the someone was dressed as a superhero.

But Maahes had never seen that superhero suit before, and them being outside of the warehouse didn't match the pattern - everyone else had shown up inside.

Watching their skin turn from steel to regular human flesh was the last clue that Maahes needed for it to finally click. The man unsteadily getting to his feet wasn't someone who had suddenly become a superhero.

He already was one.

And it looked like they had caught the middle of his fight.

A man stepped through the giant hole that had been left in the warehouse wall. Even though the hole was far bigger than a regular person, the man just barely fit. Everything about him was enormous - especially his muscles. Maahes didn't know it was possible for someone to get so enormous.

The superhero looked over at their assorted group.

"Those are some realistic costumes-" he said, brown eyes alight before the muscular man lunged at him. He didn't have enough time to dodge the attack; instead, his skin turned to steel again as he went sent flying back into another pillar.

It was a miracle that Molly hadn't woken up yet.

Spoiler! :
The plot has officially begun! I'm still working on the color scheme for our unlucky hero, but here's a sketch of what his suit looks like:

Also, the muscular man is totally a villainous knockoff of the Hulk. I made him ages ago for the older version of this roleplay and barely had any ideas for superpowers back then. :P
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:36 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Harper let out a scream of surprise when the wall suddenly exploded in a cloud of dust and a sideways hair of debris. She stumbled out of the way, her arms going to block her head until the moment she realized what she was doing. Her heart pounded in her chest, spurred into a galloping race by the jolt of adrenaline, and...something was stirring in her veins. A force, like the start of a terrible storm trapped in her feeble body like a hurricane in a house of tissue paper. She recognized the power as the same as that which she used only minutes ago to lift herself from the ground, but that had been nothing. She feared the power contained just under the thin layer of her skin was far more than she bargained for.

She let out a shakey breath and blinked at the scene before her, lowering her arms. One of them had gone to grab her pendant. She didn't let go.

A hero, a villain, a big hole in the wall.

Just as Harper manged to get that much information into her muddled skull, the villain lunged at the hero. The hero's skin turned to steel, and he was tossed back into a pillar. The impact boomed through the warehouse, echoing off the walls and sending a rain of dust down on them.

Please don't be a load-bearing pillar.

Except, Harper couldn't find a reason why it wouldn't be. Weren't all pillars in a place this empty and featureless purpose-serving?

"Hey!" Harper called to the villain, more viciously than she'd thought herself capable. She let her new magic - this undeniable force - guide her as she thrust out her hand and lifted it up just as she had to raise herself above the ground, then brought it back down with all the force she could muster in that single brief moment.

The villain was seized by coils of smoke-like magic and yanked into the air like a puppet carelessly jerked around by a child with all its strings in their fist, then slammed into the ground with a sound like booming thunder as the concrete shattered beneath the force.

he/they

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:30 pm
View Likes
Lezuli says...

The fight between the hero and the villain had been bad enough before Harper had decided to throw her magic into the frey.
Ollie gaped as the monstrous villain was thrown up in the air by the red smoke and then slammed to the ground. This, she realized, would be the perfect time for her powers to decide to come back online. But, of course that didn't happen. Because the universe hated her today.
A massive cracking noise reached Ollie's ears above the sounds of the battle and the (unsurprisingly) shocked other people. Ollie craned her neck back to see the source of that noise.
"Oh, come on!" Ollie cried when she noticed a huge crack splitting the top of the warehouse. The damages from the fight were getting to be too much too fast. This place was going to collapse, and soon. With them in it. Curse it, there was no time to be worrying about ticking people off now.
"Hey, you!" she pointed at the Thor-people. "See that?" she pointed to the splitting metal roof. "Think you can smelt it shut with your lightning? Or at least get us out of here before we're crushed like a twinkie under a boot?"

41 Reviews

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:37 pm
View Likes
Shadeflame says...

Asher stared at the new arrivals, his feet refusing to budge. For the first time the enormity of the situation descended on him. What had he gotten himself into? Sure, he had watched plenty of fights, but never been in one this big.

He shook his head slightly, jolting out of his thoughts. The roof was going to crash down, the sword girl was right. He could probably make it out of the warehouse before it fell... but the child. Asher glanced at the little girl in Maahes's arm and grimaced. Sure he didn't much care for any of these people, but it didn't mean he wanted to them to be crushed to death. He had to do something.

He hurried glanced up at the roof of the building. It was slowly collapsing inward, making horrendous screeching and moaning sounds as it did so. Asher resisted the urge to cover his ears and glanced down at the hammer in his hand. Could he call down lighting as the girl had suggested?

Somehow, Asher couldn't see that working so well. This was a wooden warehouse, and the least thing that they needed was a fire on top of a super villain and a collapsing roof.

Wasn't there anything else he could do? He was Thor, so what could Thor do. He was a god, he could call down lighting, he had a magic hammer, and he could fly. He gritted his teeth. If this didn't work..

He started to swing the hammer around and around, trying to mimic how Thor had done it in the movies.

Taking a step backwards, he burst into a run, his body moving faster than it had ever done before. With his final step, he leaped into the air, shooting up towards the roof. He raised his other arm, blue sparks wreathing his body and congregating on his hand. Bracing, he hit the roof with a thud, forcing it back upwards. His muscles strained against the weight as the sparks heated the metal. It grew hotter and hotter, but Asher barely felt anything.

"Guys, can you hurry up and get out of here?" he said, grunting with the effort of holding it up. "At least save the child, the rest of you losers can do whatever you want."

59 Reviews

Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:51 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Adrid dashed between the steel man embedded in the pillar, and the mountainous vagrant that had embedded him.

She raised her warhammer high, and steeled herself for action. Her stance was uncompromising. Her face was less so, as her heroic instinct wore off and she remembered that she didn't know who any of these people were.

As far as she knew, either one could be at fault. And in any case, wherever they were was far beyond her lawful jurisdiction.

Ah, well. She'd already gotten up.

But this dilemma was invalidated when Harper lifted the mountain man's body with profane sorcery and dropped him like a sack of meaty rocks, both causing Adrid mortal fear, and freeing her from the prospect of actually fighting the man.

She'd rather have fought him.

But when her wide eyes settled back to their customary slits, and her face returned to its customary woodenness, she crouched down by the metal man and asked him, "Can you move?"

He too was some manner of abomination, but by comparison he seemed more agreeable.

All we can do is our best, and hope that it was enough.
— CandyWizard