Young Writers Society

Desert Island

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue May 12, 2020 2:09 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Jay just rolled his eyes at Jun's assertion that they were in some other Spirit world. Maybe they were in another world, but he didn't think it was that one. Otherwise, Jun would know for sure.

He continued to walk the edge of the dry, desert shore while the others shuffled through the water. The further they got, the more it seemed like the shore had little variation in depth. The water level stayed consistent, and the quality of the water didn't seem to change. It was still just as clean and shiny as it was before, even with a bunch of feet probably kicking up sand.

For a few minutes, the only sound shared between all of them was the soft splashes from walking. The crickets that had quieted down earlier stayed silent as if they had gone into hiding.

And then they ended up right where they were at the start. Jay stopped when he realized they'd gone in a circle.

The island was small.

And that meant there was no one else around to help. No towns, no cities, no villages. No new people to meet, and no apparent ways out either. It was just the four of them on this tiny, tiny island in the middle of nowhere with no moon, no waves to carry them away, and an endless starry sky.

He felt a pit of dread in his stomach as he looked up to the stars and all of the unfamiliar constellations that meant nothing to him.

As his eyes looked back out at the ocean before them, his eyes caught on something floating up from the water. A body. A person.

He rushed forward, splashing through the water as he ran out until the water was almost up to his waist.

It was a woman - skinny, dressed in a plain black nightgown that drifted around her feet. Her long, dark black hair flowed around her face in the water and here eyes were closed like she was sleeping. But she was breathing.

He slowed as he approached her, suddenly unsure. His hairs stood on the back of his neck and he froze.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue May 12, 2020 9:37 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Jay paused, but Jun didn't - the moment she saw the woman in the water, she made a beeline towards her. She ignored how worried she was about being trapped on the island. She had to help the woman get dry. She didn't think it was a bad thing to be soaking wet here, but it wasn't good to be stuck in wet clothing.

Jun put her arms underneath the woman's body, grateful that she had done so much work around her house and so much physical exercise during her travels. Even when she was carrying the woman above the surface of the water, she didn't struggle.

She stepped out onto the shore.

Then she started to head back towards the tents. They needed some kind of fire, but her first goal was to put the woman down.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue May 12, 2020 1:31 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

"I'll stay with her," Claire said. "We should make a fire. Get her some water too."

Claire was trying to be vague enough that it was clear that she had experience with the outdoors, but not so much why. She wondered if they had cults on other words.

The woman was unconscious, but still breathing.

What was her story?

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed May 13, 2020 10:29 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Jun nodded, placing the woman down in the center area near their tents. If only she could firebend - then starting a fire would be easy. But they had the lanterns inside the tents, and could always sacrifice some of the fabric to help start the fire.
mage

queer and here.

Reviews: 0
Tue May 19, 2020 5:05 pm
View Likes
sherlockhson says...

Rose stayed mostly on the outskirts as the others of the group tended to the sudden mystery girl, and her gaze quickly falling to the area where they had dragged her from the odd water. The island was tiny as they had just learned from following Jay, so had the woman been there the whole time?

Her mind mulled it over a few times. She would have had to be. They all would have surely heard a splash if she had dropped out of no where, but what if that wasn't what happened? She grumbled. It still didn't make sense to her but she decided to focus on what she could do at the moment; they needed a fire and Rose had an idea how.

With the lack of driftwood or trees of any kind she headed back to the tent she had awoken in, pulling the dim lamp out of it and setting it aside before beginning to tear and break the tent into pieces.

"We'll burn this. Hopefully it'll last us long enough to find something better to burn." The disgruntled edge from her voice seemed to fade as she found herself becoming concerned with the mystery woman, mostly for the sake of finding out if she knew anything at all about this island.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"We can use my tent, too," Jun offered. "I was thinking of doing what you're doing."

For now, Jun would stick to helping Rose break down her tent. There wasn't any point in burning both tents when they could just start with one. It wasn't nearly as hard as she thought it would have been. Even if she couldn't use her bending anymore, she could use her muscles - and they weren't exactly weak.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed May 20, 2020 10:07 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Jay lagged behind everyone, watching Jun, Claire, and Rose bring the woman back to their "camp" and start a fire. He didn't know how to explain his apprehension, but something just felt off about her. Maybe it was the fact that she floated up from the water so peacefully. Maybe it was the fact that she was asleep. Maybe it was the fact that she had been holding her breath while asleep.

But he wasn't about to explain his wolven instincts to a group of strangers, especially when his gut feelings weren't always right.

He inched a little closer, standing by his tent with his arms folded as he looked down at the woman lying on the ground, sopping wet.

"I don't think she's like us," he said. "As in, I don't think she just woke up here. Or uh, didn't wake up here. You know what I mean."

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed May 20, 2020 2:53 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Claire stayed close to the woman, this Jay's words in her mind.

"Maybe she can help us get home," Claire offered.

She was no trained nurse, and couldn't help but think that Helen would have done a much better job taking care of her. Still, she continued to watch her, wondering might happen when she woke up.

-- Walt Disney

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 23, 2020 10:48 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

If Jun was right and this was the Spirit World, she was sure the woman had to be some kind of spirit. Jay was right - something about her felt different, and it wasn't just because she had arrived in the sea instead of a tent.

But Jun wasn't going to argue. She didn't want to cause a fight; right now, all she wanted to do was help this woman. Once she felt better, they could ask her all of the questions Jun - and probably the others - had been wondering.
mage

queer and here.

Reviews: 0
Sat May 23, 2020 10:58 am
View Likes
sherlockhson says...

"Maybe she could give us the answers we need, yeah. I would say splash some water on her and wake her up, but that seems redundant."

Rose let out a sigh as she tossed the last bits of the destoryed tent in a pile before walking to loom over the mystery woman. She didn't look as though she would be out of place in Ruddlan, but with everyone else around, who knows where she was going to say she came from.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon May 25, 2020 5:32 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Jay sighed. "We could just slap her or something," he suggested. "A good little-" he made a smacking motion with his hand "-pap! You know?"

Just then, the woman lying on the ground gasped, and her eyes shot open. Jay practically jumped out of his skin, leaping back.

The whites of her eyes were gone. There was only darkness - but with the firelight, you could see that her eyes looked more like the night sky than complete darkness.

She didn't sit up, though. Instead, she just stared up wide-eyed at the sky, with her mouth slightly ajar.

Jay stared.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon May 25, 2020 10:10 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Jun also jumped back when the woman suddenly woke up, though she jumped back a little harder and farther than Jay did - she hadn't expected her to wake up so suddenly. She also hadn't expected her eyes to have been replaced but what looked like the night sky, or for her to stare up instead of looking at any one of the people surrounding her.

This is definitely the Spirit World, Jun thought, even if no one here wanted to believe her. Why else would someone's eyes be like that?

She took a deep breath and a step forward.

Not wanting to startle the woman, Jun awkwardly cleared her throat and gently placed her hand on the woman's shoulder after crouching down beside her.

"Hi," she said. "Can you talk right now? We had to drink some of the water before we could."
mage

queer and here.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon May 25, 2020 1:03 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Claire took a step back from the woman when she saw the whites of her eyes. disappear.

Her heart was pounding. She'd never seen like that before. "My name is Claire," she said. "And this is Jun, Rose and... Jay." Why was it so hard to say the last name? Jay was just a name, after all. There were Jays before hers was born, and there would be Jays after.

-- Walt Disney

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri May 29, 2020 9:11 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

The woman stared up ahead at the Sky for a moment, unresponsive. But at the others spoke the woman slowly blinked, and when she opened her eyes again the darkness started to clear away, revealing the whites of her eyes. She continued to blink until her eyes looked clear. Still dark, but not black in their entirety anymore.

Jay still watched from afar nervously. He still felt jumpy. If she made any sudden movements he was sure he would run.

Then the woman's mouth spread into a small smile, and she sat up, her long wet hair still practically glued to her back.

"Four," she said. "Oh! But now five. There was only supposed to be one." With a vacant gaze she turned her head over to Jun, and then Claire. "You all must be very eager, falling through the cracks."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri May 29, 2020 11:15 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Jun blinked.

Even if she was right about this really being the Spirit World, she had no idea what the woman was talking about. It seemed like only one person was supposed to end up on this island, but she didn't think it was supposed to be here. She didn't even know how she had gotten here in the first place.

"I'm...I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about?" she hesitantly said. "What cracks did we fall through? Do you...do you know where we are right now?"
mage

queer and here.

When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him.
— Euripides