Winter Wonderland

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:42 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Winter Wonderland

When you appear in the woods, the air is brisk and cold. The snow on the ground is the only confirmation for what you already knew: it is winter in this unfamiliar forest. You're not sure how you ended up in the forest. You might have theories.

But one thing is for certain - you weren't here before. You might have been inside. It might have been a different season. It might have been winter, but you were in a noticeably different forest. Whatever the case may be, you're here now.

Thankfully, whatever brought you here made sure you were prepared for the cold weather. Your old clothes have been exchanged with ones more suited to the cold. They're still in a style that clearly matches yours, but you've never had any clothes that looked just like them before.

Perhaps even more luckily, you are not alone. Others have been brought here, too, and you can work together to figure out why you're here and how to get back home.

But, in the meantime, enjoying the winter wonderland can't hurt, right?

Please read the rules down below if you want to join the roleplay! They should clear up any questions you might have and also let you know what to expect.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:43 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Rules

1. Please include a description of your character in your first post - you can throw it into a spoiler using the code down below and put it at the top of your post.

Code: Select all
[spoiler]Put your description here![/spoiler]

2. Feel free to pick characters from whatever you want. They can be from another roleplay, a storybook, a novel or even a fanfiction of yours. The world, time and plot they're from ultimately just impacts how they interact with this roleplay (like if they had previous experiences with wintery areas) so it's really up to you.

3. You can have as many characters as you want, but there'll come a point where you can no longer add new ones because it would alter the plot too much. I'll make sure to say something when that happens, so don't worry about it for now.

4. Please don't write for anyone else's characters. It's hard to predict what someone else might have their characters do, and it takes away some of the fun for the other writers.

5. You're free to have your character guess what the plot is, but don't make any plot-altering decisions with talking about with me first. You can PM me or chat in the spoilers of our posts if you have an idea - I love scheming! :) I just want to make sure your schemes can be incorporated into what I'm already scheming.

6. Don't post multiple times in a row, and make sure everyone has a chance to get a response in. There's going to be times where it makes more sense to post back-and-forth between two people, but try avoiding it unless you absolutely have to - it prevents the other writers from getting too behind and feeling like they aren't involved with the story.

7. Have fun!
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:11 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Wren Carter: I've mainly been writing for Wren over on her now inactive Tumblr, so I don't have an appearance written for her - on Tumblr, the popular thing is to have face claims instead. Her face claim is Mirai Kuriyama from Beyond the Boundary, who's in the gif down below:

But since her description might come up, I'd describe her as having short, strawberry blond hair, red glasses, and amber eyes. She's also on the short side, even though she's seventeen years old. Her current outfit is a gray winter hat, bright red gloves, a dark green winter coat, jeans and light brown snow boots.

When Wren suddenly found herself standing in a forest, the first thing she did was checked what she looked like. The last thing she remembered was being in her family's café, but she could have lost her memory and been doing something else instead.

But when she looked down, she looked like herself.

...In comfortable but unfamiliar winter clothes.

That was still a little alarming, but she let out a quiet sigh of relief and cleaned her glasses as she looked around the forest. It was winter, wherever she was. It was winter back home, too, but that was in the city and she couldn't see a single sign of civilization.

"...Hello?" she hesitantly called out, her breath forming in the air in front of her.
mage

queer and here.

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:10 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Spoiler! :
Hablex (Uary)

She has icy, light blue colored hair, often pulled up into a tight ponytail. Her eyes are a light brown, hazel-ish color. Where she comes from, her age is probably around a teenager’s mindset, so she’s probably around sixteen. However, she’s fairly tall for her age.

Most people live in small villages so instead of having actual last names, everyone’s surname is just the name of where they live. Thus, “Uary.” Hablex also likes to speak with paintings instead of true words, but I’d shes with strangers, she’ll talk with a hesitant, quiet voice.

She’s got on thick boots, dark trousers, a long black tunic, and gloves.

Hablex glanced down at the ground, blinking at the sight of white. She was in her room, painting as she did with every second of free time, only to arrive outside with this disturbing weather.

She had heard about this kind of season back home, but it never got cold enough for the lakes to freeze over entirely and for the so-called snow if she recalled correctly, to actually fall on the floor.

Sighing, she patted the substance with her glove-cased hands. Hablex figured she should be surprised by her sudden wardrobe change, but if she could be in a land where snow fell freely, it wasn't that different from waking up in rather nice and warm clothing.

The trees seemed to sway with a slight wind, beckoning her deeper into this mysterious new place, but then she heard a voice not too far away from her.

Hablex shoved her hands into her pockets, grasping what felt like a small writing utensil and perhaps a canvas easily erased? She pulled out the two things only to look at something called a "whiteboard" in confusion. Maybe this was how this different world painted?

She figured she would call back to the person since meeting a stranger wasn't nearly as odd as everything else had been.

"Hi?" Hablex frowned even while speaking. Hopefully the other person heard her.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:32 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Spoiler! :
Winter: She's a tall girl with white-blonde hair done up in complicated braids and twists. Her skin and eyes, like her hair, are pale and ageless. To look in her eyes is to see the doors between life and death wide open within them, while at the same time seeing the youthful ignorance of a child. She has pointed features that echo the long, thin nature of her whole being.

Her clothing is made up of many layers. Atop a white tunic and thick woolen trousers, she wears a shin-length coat that does not open on the sides but instead laces up on the sides with white silk cording. The hem of the coat is embroidered with silver thread in a pattern reminiscent of flames. The bell-shaped sleeves are lined with grey fur like that of an arctic fox, along with the wide hood. There is a knife in the sheath at her hip and a bottle of some strange liquid hanging off her belt as well.

Winter was surprised to find herself in the forest. She had been traveling alone, or, she thought she had been. Had she been hit by a stray spell and transported elsewhere? She didn't think she could miss a battle of such power that a stray spell would send her somewhere like this. Perhaps she had gone deaf?

Summer? She felt out with her mind for a tear in the veil, a thinning through which to hear her twin. There was none.

Winter then heard the voices, confirming that she had not been deafened.

Remembering the potential battle that may have sent her here, Winter looked around. There was a frozen stream a few steps away, and she closed the gap to kneel down next to it. Her clothing was different, she noticed absently.

She pressed her hand into the ice, focusing heat in the right places and pulling it back in where it was required. She wrapped her hand around a handle of ice that she'd melted into existence and pulled up. With it came the rest of the sword. Or, it would be a sword, in a moment. She checked how much heat she had within her, and how much was in the air to take. Much, and not much. A steady flame burst into existence along the length of the blade, sharpening it into a fine point on all sides and smoothing the ice to a blueish sheen.

The blade of ice caught the light of the flames like crystal and scattered it about the trees around her joined by the flickering glow of the fire.

She walked, then, hesitantly toward the voices, the blade low but ready.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:43 am
View Likes
EverLight says...

Spoiler! :
Alaska Mae Noelle
She is a slender young 18 year old, with brilliant auburn hair that's usually worn straight. Her eyes are brilliant greenish-blue.
Alaska is rather short for her age earning her the nickname of ''Shortie Mae''
She wears a fiery red scarf, and red mittens, (She has a thing for red as you may have guessed.) and a rich midnight blue coat with a velvet interior, and dark brown leather snow boots.
Personality wise, she tends to be very vain and petty, but when it really counts she is the bravest most devoted person you could ever meet.

Alaska stared around her wide eyed. There was nothing but trees and a blinding whirl wind of snow. Snow? Hadn't she been shopping for a new bathing suit so she could dip in a pool and cool off from the Texas heat?
Alsaka's father had told her about a season called ''winter'', and about ''snow'', but Alaska had never seen snow until now.
She shivered. A faint breeze gently whispered through the trees, freezing her to the bone despite her warm winter wear. A faint crunching noise sounded, and Alaska quickly looked up heart pounding, and furtively glanced around. Her eyes caught sight of three shapes off in the distance.
''W...w...who's there?'' she called nervously.
I'm winning at life!

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:45 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Spoiler! :
Wilson is a pretty short, lanky woman of indiscernible age. She looks like she could be anywhere from late teens to mid-twenties, but the truth of it is that she hasn't aged at all. She doesn't really have an age per-se. Not that that's important!

Wilson has long black hair that tends to fall in her face now and then and dark black eyes that sometimes look like the night sky if you stare into them for too long.

She's wearing a big, puffy, light blue winter coat with fur on the hood and navy snow pants tucked into big winter boots. She has a white scarf and black gloves.
Here's a really old sketch of her.

Oh. This was interesting.

Wilson hadn't fallen asleep, nor fallen awake, but here she was, standing in the middle of a forest with snow, dressed in snow-ready clothes. She blinked, looking up and down, to her left and her right, then down at her feet, which were fitted in cute, cozy-looking boots with fur inside. She smiled curiously and tapped her toes together, before stomping them quickly in the snow. It was nice to hear the satisfying crunch of snow under her feet. It was one of her favorite sounds - but maybe that wasn't fair to say, because she had a lot of favorites.

She could hear voices up ahead, through the trees. People who were probably very unlike her, but had been brought there by magic, or happenstance. All of it was fine, and all of it made sense. It all flowed together, anyway.

With a skip in her step, she hurried forward, seeing a short girl with red hair and a red scarf. Lots of red! It seemed she came just in time to answer the girl's question.

Skipping to a stop just beside her, she leaned forward with her hands held behind her back and looked up at the girl with a grin.

"Me! I'm here."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:01 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
It makes me happy seeing so many familiar faces in this roleplay. :)

As a random little aside, I love the irony of Winter having nothing to do with the cold, and Alaska never having seen snow. It's peak humor. :P

She wasn't alone.

She wasn't sure if the other voices were a source of comfort or worry. Other voices meant that she wasn't the only one who had been brought here, but it also meant that she'd have to interact with other people as herself. She had been trying to be more confident lately, but it was hard to in a situation like this.

"I'm here, too," she quietly, shyly said, resisting the urge to fiddle with her glasses again. Her gaze swept through the forest - documenting everything she noticed in the back of her mind. She didn't want to be paranoid, but there was nothing to say that the person who had brought them here wasn't standing among them. So she had to play things safe, just in case things got dangerous and she had to live up to her job.

...Even though she wasn't sure how she was supposed to do that as Wren.

Two of the girls were wearing outfits that didn't look normal. That was okay. She had met someone from another world just the other week, and Willow hadn't exactly been dangerous. She had just been...Willow. Then there were two girls dressed like her, too.

Wren comforted herself by giving herself a scar underneath her glove. The scar wasn't necessary, but the act of giving it was - especially when she realized that one of the first girls she had noticed was holding a blade made of ice.

She took a deep breath.

What would Adrian do right now?

What would The Actor do right now?

If she tried being either one of them, it would involve being a leader. Wren never felt like a leader looking like this, but she wished she did. Then she wouldn't feel as nervous about a potential fight breaking out.

"I, um, don't know if you need that sword," she quietly said, her voice just loud enough for the sword's wielder to hear her. "I think we're all in the same situation..."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:24 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Winter looked around. There wasn't much hostility in the stances of the people around her. The battle must have been over, or else it was elsewhere and Winter was simply not present to witness it.

A flash of scathing heat around the blade reduced it to steam and water, and Winter tiled her head. "I am Winter," she said, "I do not recognize any of you. What are your names?" The small one who had spoken to her looked a bit like Summer. Summer was taller, though, and she didn't have bits of glass balanced in front of her eyes with wire. That was strange. Perhaps the glass was enchanted somehow? Perhaps it allowed her to see strange things about people like their thoughts and feelings. Or maybe they were for some other purpose. Winter wouldn't ask. The girl wore them like they weren't anything to be explained, so Winter decided she must already know what they were for even if she did not remember.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:41 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Her hands twitched for paper or paints or a blank canvas to draw her worries away. All Hablex has was this weirdly labeled thing in her pockets to help her communicate, but she couldn’t quite tell how it worked.

She looked at the other girls, recognizing at least one of them must be like her and strictly not from this world. Hablex pulled out the labeled “whiteboard” then started to draw the landscape around their group.

A few false starts looking at the strange marker and the board led her to believe that questioning the state of such things would do her harm, so she was resigned to hoping that this would work.

None of them had introduced themselves, so she wrote her name down on another section of the board and held it up. “Hablex,” she said, more to the object than the girls, but she didn’t want to speak louder than that.

She started using the marker again, furiously trying to sketch out the trees so she could remember what surrounded her. Malker will be shocked once she got back.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:38 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Wren watched as Hablex wrote her name on the whiteboard and started drawing on it, but wasn't sure if she should comment on the artwork. She decided it was best not to - she wasn't sure she could handle where the conversation might go.

And she did have to introduce herself, too.

She shifted a little.

"I'm Wren," she softly offered. She gave in and started fidgeting with her glasses. "Wren Carter."
mage

queer and here.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:56 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Spoiler! :
Amy Fox is twenty-five years old. She's a middle school English teacher, and the daughter of Claire and Jay. She has her mother's red hair, pale skin and freckles, and her father's eyes and nose. She only recently found out the truth about her father, and is still processing it. Having grown up in LA, gone to college in Arizona, and afterwards moved to Seattle, she doesn't have much experience with snow or with winter. Still, she loves Christmas. She loves going to rock concerts (her dream man is Kurt Cobain) and she hasn't quite figured out what she wants to do with her life.

I've also been trying to find a reference for how Amy looks and I just haven't been able to do it, so for now here are Mom and Dad.

When Amy came to, she was standing in the middle of the woods. It was, for a lack of a better way of putting it, a winter wonderland. The kind she never had growing up. Even though she could see her breath, she was safe and warm. She looked down and saw she was wearing a long winter coat, blue and purple, a knit hat, and hot pink mittens. Long underwear under her acid wash jeans. Nice snow boots. She didn't own any clothes like this. There was never any need.

Still, she tredged through the snow, wondering where she was and how exactly she'd gotten here. Then she realized that she wasn't alone.

Spoiler! :
@Jaybird Question. Amy is from the 1990s, so while things will mostly be the same for her, there will be quite a few things she won't understand. Just wondering how to best play off of this. I think her outfit, and especially her coat, will give her away.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

212 Reviews

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:03 pm
View Likes
EverLight says...

Alaska realized those shapes were people. Relief instantly washed over her. Maybe they could explain what she was doing here in the middle of a strange forest.
''Hello?'' she began hesitantly. ''My name is Alaska. Alaska Mae Noelle, and um...can you tell me what I'm doing here, and um...hello? Can you hear me?''
I'm winning at life!

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:07 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

She gave a shy nod.

"I can hear you," she confirmed. Another person was approaching their group, too. Something about her jacket seemed off, but Wren couldn't put her finger on what. "And I'm, uh, not really sure why we're here? I think we were all brought here by someone else..."
mage

queer and here.

212 Reviews

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:13 pm
View Likes
EverLight says...

So they could hear her!
''What kind of person would bring us here?'' Alaska asked, her heart stopping. ''Do they want us to catch our deaths in cold?''
I'm winning at life!

As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
— Pablo Neruda