z

Young Writers Society

You received a letter.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:03 am
View Likes
sylrie says...

You received a letter. As with most letters, you opened it...because why wouldn't you? It was a thin envelope, with a wax seal upon it. The seal was unfamiliar, but bright gold and green; on it was a wolf, with what appeared to be armor. Strange, but again, didn't seem too dangerous.

When you opened it, however, something changed. Perhaps it was the air, which seemed a bit more pure. Perhaps it was the ambient noise outside, which seemed subtlety changed. That's when you hear it; a howl. A wolf's howl.

The moment you leave the room you opened the letter in, you find yourself in a new place. It's a small clearing in a forest. Turning around shows that the room you came from is gone. You're now trapped in this place, for better or worse.

Spoiler! :
Multiple people can join! Normal rules apply, and you can make as many characters as you please.
Lost, not aimless. I know where I need to go, I just...don't know how to get there yet.
(they/them)

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:10 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Spoiler! :
Can I join? It'll take me a bit to get a full post ready, but I'd rather not just jump in with a super long post, if that makes sense.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:32 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Can I join, too? I won't be able to get a post up until sometime tomorrow, but I already know who I want to use. <3
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

13 Reviews

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:33 am
View Likes
sylrie says...

Spoiler! :
Yes, you both can join! ^-^
Lost, not aimless. I know where I need to go, I just...don't know how to get there yet.
(they/them)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:13 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
As of right now, I'll just be using Maahes and Molly for this roleplay.

Maahes appears to be somewhere in his twenties - probably close to late than early. He has dark skin and long scarlet hair that's thrown up in a ponytail. I can post a picture of him later, if you need an idea of what he looks like! He's currently wearing a uniform that looks like the one down below, but instead of the top jacket and vest, he's wearing a black t-shirt. The only other important thing about his appearance is the necklace he's wearing; it's a lotus pattern carved into a wooden oval that's hanging on a black cord.

Molly, on the other hand, is absolutely adorable lion cub.

When Maahes got home from work, he found only a single letter in the mailbox. The letter was strange, but he was used to strange things - in retrospect, he should have actually given it the attention it needed. But he was a little more preoccupied with keeping Molly from getting out of the house when he opened the door, and with getting her off the living room table when she inevitably jumped onto it.

He was still holding her in his arms when he absentmindedly opened the strange letter.

And he was still holding her when he suddenly heard the wolf's howl.

Molly immediately wiggled out of his arms and jumped to the ground, letting out a threatened growl as she curled around his feet. Maahes looked down at both the opened letter and the cub, already knowing that this was going to be like those times all over again.
mage

queer and here.

13 Reviews

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:39 pm
View Likes
sylrie says...

Spoiler! :
Was bouncing between making one character or two, decided on two

The first is Gerard Plimmsworth. His face appears to belong to a man in his early forties, but his hair, almost white in appearance, has clearly greyed far beyond his years. He has a rather scholarly appearance about him, his tired hazel eyes looking at the world through a set of spectacles. He wears a maroon vest over a white dress shirt, along with light grey dress pants and a pair of dress shoes. Not at all a proper set of clothing, but he wasn't aware he was going to be going on an adventure.

The second is a much younger man, who only knows himself as Quill, probably only eighteen. He wears a dirty tee-shirt, and an equally dirty and ripped up pair of jeans. His tennis shoes are well worn, and the only thing that looks relatively taken care of is his jacket, which has a very large number of pockets, and the small satchel hung over one shoulder. His eyes seem to have been a bright green at some point, but a hard life appears to have dulled them somewhat. His hair, somehow, is dyed a dark red.

Gerard was alone in his study, sorting through the letters he had received that day. One from a student, one from the administration (undoubtedly another letter questioning his teaching style), a couple from fellow staff, and finally, at the bottom of the pile, one with a strange wax seal he didn't recognize.

Once he had read the others, he took his letter opener (a beautifully engraved thing; perhaps it was coincidence that the end of the handle was carved in a wolfs likeness, or perhaps it was intentional) and carefully cut away the wax seal. He wished to keep it, perhaps find out later where it came from.

He pulled out the letter. He heard the wolfs howl. Strange; wolves in the city? Surely such a thing was impossible. He sighed, opening up the letter, only to find nothing. He shrugged, dismissing it as a harmless prank.

A young man, in the same city yet many years in the future, sat in a small abandoned apartment. He had woken up that day with a satchel in his lap, and a note placed upon the satchel. 'Find a room. Read the letter." He was in a room; now it was time to read the letter.

He pulled out a pocket knife, cutting open the envelope and pulling out its contents. He opened up the letter, heard the howl, saw the nothingness.

"Someone's messing with me..." he grumbled, tossing the letter to the side. The air seemed to be cleaner than usual...
(they/them)

95 Reviews

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:59 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Spoiler! :
Quinn Nears is a pretty girl of lithe build, dark chocolate-brown skin, and dreadlocks tied loosely back with a red ribbon. Her eyes are an unsettling orange like that of a flickering candle, with flecks of yellow floating within them like sparks and burning ashes. She wears a three-piece suit with red silk lining and a matching waistcoat with a silver pocket watch, and she carries around a satchel full of books, scrolls, and writing utensils.

Asha Nim is identical to Quinn in every way, save the way she wears her hair and her choice of clothing. Instead of dreadlocks, she has cornrows that reach all the way down her back, and she wears much less expensive clothing in the form of a loose-fitting medieval style tunic and trousers with a wicked-looking dagger handing off her belt and a broadsword sheathed behind her back.

"Quinn! you've got a letter!"

Asha dropped the stack of letters on the formerly-sleeping Quinn's head. Quinn gave her a nasty look and snatched the ones that hadn't immediately slid to the floor off of her chest and lap where they'd scattered.

"Really?" she snapped.

Asha shrugged, "You recognize that seal?" she asked, gesturing to the letter at the top of the pile in Quinn's hands.

Quinn gave her one last dirty look and examined the letter, "No, I don't."

"Think it's from one of Irina's people?"

"Probably."

"One way to find out."

Asha plucked the letter from Quinn's hands and broke the seal. Neither of them acknowledged the wolf howling. That wasn't too uncommon in their literal-neck-of-the-woods.

Before she could open the envelope, there came a knock at the door.

They exchanged a look and a few silent words.

Irina? Quinn's question.

Asha shook her head, Not this close to the coronation.

Quinn stood, picked up her satchel, and exchanged a nod with Asha. They went to get the door together.

But then, they weren't in their little cabin anymore. Instantly, they were on high alert.

Illusion? Asha suggested in both their heads.

No flickers, came Quinn's reply.

Asha's grip on her dagger tightened while Quinn went through every spell they knew in their heads. Neither of them panicked, but neither of them were relaxed.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:19 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Once the howl faded, Molly's posture relaxed. Maahes was grateful for that. Molly could look intimidating to those who didn't know her, but all that posture really showed was how scared she was.

A little confused - and trying to figure out where the noise had come from - Maahes followed after Molly as she headed towards the hallway that led to his room. But the moment he stepped outside of the living room, he wasn't in his house anymore. He was in an unfamiliar clearing in an unfamiliar set of woods.

But Molly didn't seem to mind. She was no longer afraid of a wolf in the distance, so she was excited to explore - they were, after all, in an unfamiliar clearing in an equally unfamiliar forest, and that meant everything was new.

Maahes didn't share that enthusiasm, but he would have normally been happy to let her run free and check things out while he tried to figure out what was going on.

But when he looked around the clearing, he found that they weren't alone.

There were two girls there who could have been twins, and both were dressed for a world or a time that wasn't modern day Earth. He gave an awkward smile as he hurriedly scooped Molly up from the bush she was halfway into it - hopefully, their world didn't have lions.

"Hi," he said.
mage

queer and here.

13 Reviews

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:25 pm
View Likes
sylrie says...

Gerard didn't notice at first what had happened as he walked out of his office, too busy sorting through the letters he was sending to make sure he had them all. However, the fact that his dress shoes were no longer hitting wood didn't escape him for long, and he froze. It must have been quite a sight for the scholar; people seemingly pulled from different times, two of them twins, the last accompanied by lion's club...

Another was very swiftly added to that number as a younger man seemingly phased into existence nearby.

Quill reacted a bit more violently to the sudden change of scenery; he had been in too many situations where he found himself surrounded by strange people, and he was not about to be pulled into some new ploy. He pulled the pocket knife out of his pocket, already setting a good distance between himself and the others, staying silent.
(they/them)

95 Reviews

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:01 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

The girls exchanged a look.

Asha adjusted her grip on her dagger, Spells?

On it.

The silent exchange didn't require so much as a look between either of them, and it was followed immediately by Quinn filling their heads with every useful enchantment they could remember.

"Hello," Quinn greeted the man with the lion cub while Asha kept her eyes planted firmly on the more hostile man behind him.

he/they

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:59 pm
View Likes
Dilbert64 says...

Spoiler! :
Is it okay if I join?

13 Reviews

Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:15 pm
View Likes
sylrie says...

Spoiler! :
Of course!
(they/them)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

There was some things that Maahes had picked up over time, and one of them was the ability to know that people were there even if his back was facing them. Molly helped - she turned to look at the two newcomers. But Maahes had already known they were there. He couldn't exactly explain how, but he knew it had to do with sounds and movement and probably smell too.

He moved back a little. Not towards the two behind him, but to the side of both them and the twins. It gave him a better view of everyone present, and didn't leave his back open to get stabbed. Molly quickly followed after him, rubbing up against his legs as he looked at the group of people.

He had the sneaking suspicion that they were all in the same boat, but he did have a job that dealt with things kind of like this - he just had to remind himself of that. Thankfully, he had included his jacket tied around his waist when picking his guise, so he slipped it back on for the almost full uniform - he was just lacking the vest.

"I know this is a little strange to ask," he said, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand, "but were any of you brought here by a letter?"
mage

queer and here.

13 Reviews

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:18 pm
View Likes
sylrie says...

Gerard immediately knew what letter he was talking about.

"Yeah, I remember," Gerard replied. "Envelope sealed by a wax wolf seal? Heard a wolf howl when you opened it?"

Quill noticed Asha's eyes on him, then the dagger in her hand. The blade of the dagger was obviously larger than that of his pocket knife, but thankfully it was the only weapon he could see at the moment. He kept his eyes trained on her, unwilling to trust this group he had unwillingly been thrust into. He'd been through this kind of stuff in the past, and though they hadn't resulted in a change of scenery, they had taught him not to trust new people.
(they/them)

95 Reviews

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:18 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

How did he know that? It was Asha's voice in their heads.

It's probably a trick. One of these people could have been the ones to send us here, came Quinn's response.

"Have you been in this place before?" Quinn asked aloud.

Why do you even bother?

Hush up, Asha.

Seriously, we could just kill them both and figure all this out on our own. It'd be faster, and you don't know who was at the door. Asha's stance didn't reflect her thoughts, save for her hand on the hilt of the dagger. She wondered if maybe the sword would be more effective. No, that always took a lot of effort to get covered in flame, and the way things were going, Quinn would want any wounds inflicted on these people to be non-leathal. The flame would keep them from bleeding out, at least.

he/they

while she was studying the ways of pasta he was studying the ways of the sword
— soundofmind