1. a series of thoughts, images,
and sensations occurring in a person's
mind during sleep.

night·mare
/ˈnītˌmer/
noun

a frightening or unpleasant dream.

Everyone dreams.

Some remember their dreams more than others - they can recount the basics of the stories told over the course of a night's rest, or sometimes even give vivid details. Others remember only feelings. They wake with an unshakable fear, or a content, happy feeling that gives them a gentle start to a new day.

But this dream is different.

For one thing, you are not alone in this dream. There are others here. You may think that they are just figments of your imagination at first, but they feel different. They feel real.

Secondly (though you have yet to learn this) this dream is not the only one you will be experiencing tonight - assuming you survive, of course. There is a nightmare for everyone in this dreamscape, and ending one only leads to the beginning of another.

Can you face your fears?

And can you face the monsters lurking in the shadows?

Rules

1. Though you're allowed to have multiple characters, there can only be five participants (counting me) in this roleplay. I might allow more if it turns out we don't have much activity, but I don't want to overwhelm all of us.

2. As mentioned before, each nightmare is catered towards a specific character. As of right now, each character gets one nightmare. You're allowed to describe what the nightmare is, and if the other characters can participate with the main character, or become the nightmare.

(For example, if a character has a nightmare with a lot of ghosts, you can say that the characters become the ghosts, or that they have to fight the ghosts alongside the main character of the dream.)

3. The order of nightmares is currently determined by the order people sign up for this roleplay - starting with whoever joins after this roleplay is posted. It can be switched around later on, but that's the default.

4. You can have your character face multiple fears over the course of the nightmare.

5. There will be monsters. I'll handle writing those for now.

6. The only restrictions of characters allowed in the nightmare is that they can't have any dream traveling abilities, or be able to manipulate dreams other than interacting with the environment like they're alike.

(Basically, if they have the ability to change the dreams of other characters, they're not allowed in this roleplay.)

7. The nightmare will "end" when the fear is overcome, whether it's by the main character of the dream no longer fearing the subject of the nightmare, or physically defeating it. This ultimately depends on what the fear is, and only the creator of the character can determine how the fear is defeated.

8. As with any other roleplay, please respect the creator of the current story we're enacting! You're obviously allowed to make your own choices, but don't do anything that would majorly alter the plot without talking to the character's creator first.

9. I'm sure most people will already do this, but please give a description of your character(s) in a spoiler at the beginning of your first post. :) Because this roleplay is dependent on the characters involved, the first poster (who won't be me) is responsible for setting the scene. All of the characters introduced after that point have to end up in that nightmare's setting.

10. Last, but certainly not least, have fun!

Participants

1. Magestorrow
2. FireSpyGirl
3. TheMulticoloredCyr
4. LordWolf
5. TheSilverFox
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:05 am
View Likes
FireSpyGirl says...

Spoiler! :
May I join??
"Those moments when your in so deep, it feels easier to just swim down"

"I'm erasing myself from the narrative. Let future historians wonder how Eliza reacted when you broke her heart

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Sure thing, @FireSpyGirl! Since you haven't posted anything about your character, do you want to create the first nightmare, or wait for someone else to first?
mage

queer and here.

162 Reviews

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:08 am
View Likes
FireSpyGirl says...

Spoiler! :
I'll do the nightmare.

"I'm erasing myself from the narrative. Let future historians wonder how Eliza reacted when you broke her heart

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:11 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Okay! If you follow the rules mentioned in the first post, you should be all set. :) I can't wait to see what you come up with!
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:14 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Spoiler! :
Hey, can I join? If I do I’d like to use Queenie because she’s a very fear-driven character, but if you’d prefer that I use someone else I do have some other characters lined up.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:18 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Go for it, @TheMulticoloredCyr! You can throw her in after @FireSpyGirl makes the nightmare.
mage

queer and here.

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:21 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Spoiler! :
Going ahead and claiming a spot for this.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

162 Reviews

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:23 am
View Likes
FireSpyGirl says...

Cleona stood up, staring down the gray street. The wind whistled through the twisted trees, the cobblestones were gray, as well as all the Victorian houses that lined the street. Lampposts were all cold and unlit. The fog hung silently and heavily. The ships at the dock loomed big and huge. Behind her, making it's presence known, was the meeting house, doors open wide, like a gaping mouth, waiting for food. Cleona shivered. Her worst nightmare, being bound on a whaling ship in Victorian London. Not just any whaling ship, but being bound on the Essex. She looked up and down the street, waiting, hoping for someone else to come along.

Spoiler! :
(If anyone cares) Cleona is 17, well defined face, 5' 6", medium black hair in tied back in a loose ponytail. Black Army boots, dark blue jeans and a white tank top underneath a black leather jacket.
Last edited by FireSpyGirl on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:26 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Spoiler! :
yaay I'mma claim a spot and hopefully get something written soonish
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:29 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Welcome to the roleplay, then, @TheSilverFox!

@FireSpyGirl, I have a quick question about your post. What does Cleona look like?
mage

queer and here.

162 Reviews

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:32 am
View Likes
FireSpyGirl says...

Spoiler! :
Just added that.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:42 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Thanks, @FireSpyGirl!

And @LordWolf, sorry again for missing your post. That's the problem with mobile - it's easy to accidentally scroll past things. Your name has been added to the list, which means we currently have a full cast!

I can't wait to see what you all come up with. :)

Also, as a quick heads up: I won't be adding my character in for a little bit. I can't say why without giving away spoilers, so feel free to have your characters interact however you want until then.
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:14 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Spoiler! :
Name: Queenie Ringly

Physical Description: She's short (5' 1") and curvy, giving the illusion that her Olympic-gymnast levels of muscle aren't there. She has angelic features that all seem to highlight her fairytale-princess blue eyes that might have been beautiful if they didn't contain murder at the slightest hint of trouble. Her face is wreathed in a halo of blonde curls that brush the back of her neck and fall into her eyes.

Queenie was very, very, accustomed to nightmares, but this one was different. For one, it didn't feel like her nightmare. There weren't enough judgy dead bodies for that. No, this one wasn't hers, but it was a nightmare.

Cobblestones beneath her feet -which were notably clad in her custom combat boots, the red ones with the hidden knives, just, everywhere- she made her way through the fog to the figure that most stood out to her. The person in question was a fairly pretty girl, about Queenie's age, with dark hair to rival Briar's and one of those leather jackets that made fighting bloody impossible.

Queenie took the last few moments before she was noticed to evaluate her entire outfit, and exactly which of her weapons had translated into this might-not-be-a-dream.

To her relief, her gun was tucked into the back strap of her jeans, covered by knee-length emerald coat she'd bought for her most recent job. That coat had to be the most compelling evidence toward this being a dream. If she had been transported to another world again, she would be dressed in what she fell asleep in, and this coat was not that, mostly because it was in the process of being incinerated. There was the second piece of evidence, the coat she was currently wearing was entirely devoid of bloodstains, and also not a pile of ashes.

Under the coat was a simple red tank top, and her ruby-encrusted gold choker, which felt like a rather cruel trick for her subconscious to play, but she didn't feel like removing it right this second. Dream or not, throwing valuables around like that was a bad idea.

Content with her getup, or at least having accepted that it wasn't going to change anytime soon, Queenie approached the girl.

"Hello," she greeted with a friendly smile, "Do you mind telling me where I am?"
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:04 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Spoiler! :
Taber Aurelius-Renatus, a very good boy. Bipedal wolf that looks a lot like a werewolf, except no hunch, a lot of gray-brown fur, and a sweet personality. Tall, muscular, and too strong for his own good (mostly because he's bad at recognizing how strong he is). Wearing a black shirt and brown shorts. He still boasts some sharp fangs and huge claws, but don't expect him to use them.

Thytes Aurelius, Taber's half-brother. Thytes is just over six feet, strapping, and covered in yellow fur. He has an oversized, dark yellow mane with a couple red bows scattered in it, and wears blue robes and leather sandals. He also keeps a broadsword strapped to his belt, but prefers to use his claws instead of any weapon. Very polite and formal, a poly pan idiot.

That was weird. As Taber pulled himself up from the cold, rough ground he'd been lying on, he felt like he was in the wrong dream. The wind was a little too weak, barely ruffling his fur; he hadn't seen any houses that looked anything like these ones; and those posts looked a little strange, like they weren't holding any torches.

He got the sense that it was a dream - he was pretty sure he'd just gone to sleep, and this looked just like one of those weird situations he kept getting into. But, if the feeling that tugged at the back of his mind was anything to go by, it wasn't his dream. Which didn't make that much sense. At least it wasn't one of those "other worlds" things people liked to talk about.

The wolf felt a tap on his shoulder. Turning back, he saw himself staring at a very familiar lion. "Thytes!" Taber said, immediately wrapping the lion in a hug.

"Taber! How wonderful to see you again!" Thytes said, returning the hug. He pulled back, getting a good look at Taber. "So, what have you been doing lately?"

"Lots of things!" said Taber. "My girlfriend's been going around giving speeches, helping rebuild things, stuff like that. She was talking to Seres earlier, and they think they can get the capital back to normal in a couple years?"

The lion nodded. "Considering what happened to the palace, let alone the city, that would be nothing short of miraculous," he said. He looked over Taber's shoulder, then frowned. "In the meantime, though, we may have some company."

Letting go of Thytes, Taber followed the lion's gaze to the two people standing by one of the larger buildings. One of whom looked remarkably familiar (if in a way that made a small chill run down Taber's back, but he chose not to think about it).

"Well, let's go say hello!" Taber said, walking over. Thytes quickly followed, catching up to the wolf as they approached the others.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
— Mark Twain