z

Young Writers Society

Sugar Sweet Nightmare

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:16 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Queenie crossed her arms, "What about the rest of us? This isn't our dream, so why are we here?"

She didn't like the thought of a fight right now, not without Briar, and not with these people. It was difficult enough to trust a paid and blackmailed contractor with whom she'd been paired for a job, trusting these people when it came to combat? Yeah, no. She'd die first.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:10 pm
View Likes
FireSpyGirl says...

Cleona's thoughts were racing at about a hundred miles a minute. Why was everyone else here? Aside from when they spoke to someone, they didn't really exist to the rest of the ship. She frowned, really uncomfortable with the fact that she was the only person who could get everyone out of this mess. Her mess.

"We reach the equator in three days. That is where we will meet the whale."
"Those moments when your in so deep, it feels easier to just swim down"

"I'm erasing myself from the narrative. Let future historians wonder how Eliza reacted when you broke her heart

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:58 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"I'm not entirely sure about that, either," Juliet admitted. "But I think it's because they want to get a bigger feast - it's easier going in a steady stream of dreams than hopping to unrelated ones."

Juliet's gaze traveled to the main dreamer. "So we have three days to figure out what we're doing, then."

After coming up with absolutely no idea of how they were going to overcome her nightmare, Juliet realized something important: no one had ever said their names within earshot, or when Juliet was listening.

"...I feel like this is a little late to ask," Juliet began, "but what are your names?"
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:08 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Queenie was a little too preoccupied to answer the question immediately.

A steady stream of dreams.

She clenched a fist. Unclenched it.

"So...you're saying that we're going to go through all of our nightmares, not just hers?"

Not good. This was absolutely, perfectly, very much not good. Someone else's nightmare about a big bad whale? Fine. Comical, even. Her own nightmare about...

She shook her head. Not use thinking about it. She'd be living it pretty soon, after all.

With that thought came the unbelievable, ridiculous urge to laugh. She suppressed it. Today, or, tonight, was bad enough. Laughter wouldn't help.

he/they

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:46 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Oh dear. Stuck fighting strange creatures on a cramped ship for three days? The idea that a "stream of dreams" might include his own nightmares (which were rather stupid), or Taber's (which were rather terrifying, even though Taber didn't think they were)? Not his cup of tea.

But he had other things to think about - someone had just asked for his name, and it'd be a little rude if he didn't give an answer. "Oh, I am Thytes," the lion said, before gesturing to the wolf. "And this is my brother, Taber."
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

162 Reviews

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:07 pm
View Likes
FireSpyGirl says...

"Cleona." She said shortly, her gaze traveling over each one of them. She knew exactly what they were thinking. A big, bad whale. They had no idea how much more there was to it. They would, very soon though. Very soon. Maybe then they would understand. She didn't have high hopes though. She raised her hand, as if to smash it into the wall, then decided better and sighed, her shoulders slumping. Why? Why this?

"I'm erasing myself from the narrative. Let future historians wonder how Eliza reacted when you broke her heart

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:00 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Carter straightened his stance, lit cigarette still in his hand, and his eyes still perusing the creature in front of him. They were spinning an interesting story about this hell hole, but he had never met a monster he couldn’t deal with.
One way or another.

He stuck out his hand to Juliet.
“How rude of me not to introduce myself before I began taking liberties with your anxiety,” he paused to think of a smart ass remark to tack on. “My name is Deputy Lincoln, but you can most definitely call me just Sir.”

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

162 Reviews

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:37 am
View Likes
FireSpyGirl says...

Cleona almost raised her fist and punched Carter. She instead walked up the steps and onto the deck.

"All sails out!" Came the yelled order, and a bunch of people scrambled for the rope nets that served as ladders and began climbing, Cleona among them. She as headed for the main sail, and she climbed, higher and higher. Once on the mast, she paused and looked down. The view took her breath away. The ocean was a beautiful azure blue, the endless sky stretched out before her, the fresh ocean breeze gently brushed her face and hair, filling her lungs with clean air. Sailors on the deck scurried about like ants. Oh, how much she wished she could stay up here, in this scene forever. No nightmare, no strangers, no...creatures. There was only one question that kept going through her head.
Why?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:33 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"We are," Juliet said, answering the still unnamed girl's question. Between that, the deputy's comment, and Cleona suddenly deciding to head up to the top of the ship, Juliet was thoroughly flustered and overwhelmed with everything. The worst part was that Juliet was the one person who wasn't supposed to be flustered and overwhelmed, but it wasn't like ending up in nightmares like this was a frequent occurrence. Nightmares were, and strings of dreams were, too, but it was never the combination.

Juliet let out a sigh.

...This was going to be a long night, even if they could skip over some parts of the dreams.
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:46 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Queenie nodded, "Okay," she said. It was a miracle that her internal panic didn't make its way into her voice, or invade her newly stoic posture, "So...all of us get a nightmare, all of us see each other's nightmares, and all of us are trapped until every single one of us gets through the nightmares. Is all of that correct?"

Gods, she sounded like Briar. So emotionless, unbothered by anything going on around her. She would have to go stab someone pointlessly later. Just to break the association with that monotone little prick.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:57 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Juliet nodded.

"That's basically it." There was a pause. "...Sometimes we might be involved in other roles in the nightmare. Right now we're in the same situation as Cleona, but we could have been the sailors or even something in the ocean - it changes for each person."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:15 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Perfect," Queenie muttered, then remembered Juliet's earlier question, "I'm Queenie," she introduced herself.

he/they

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:13 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Carter noted the fist that was aimed in his direction, tossing his head back in laughter. This place was growing more humorous by the moment - murderous whale or no murderous whale.

He continued measuring the energy of the room while the different interactions took place. The question soon became “how long until one of them turns on me?” While Carter might have rather questioned, “which one of these sailors will turn me on?”

The deputy stuck to the wall, smoking the quickly withering cigarette and relaxing against the wood until a decision was made among the rest.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:29 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Hng - too many people were wandering away from the group. On a ship as small and (potentially) dangerous as this one, that wasn't a great sign.

"And how long is that going to take?" Thytes said. "I would have to imagine that the timespan of a nightmare does not necessarily line up with that of the real world, but we are traveling through everyone's nightmares."
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:01 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"It doesn't," Juliet confirmed with a nod. "It's hard to tell how long it'll feel like it takes, but it should happen over the normal span of a night - unless a nightmare takes longer to complete, anyways."
mage

queer and here.

Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.
— George Burns