Young Writers Society

The X-People

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"Yeah," Wren said, watching the villain with the lightning. "I can't do much with fires, and you can't, either."

She was getting really nervous now, and more than her usual (hidden) shyness that she felt around Jewel and SubZero. There was only so much she could do against people with actual powers; shapeshifting had its limits. But, at the very least, she could shift so rubber was incorporated into her suit's design - thanks, freshman year science and Pokémon.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:56 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Resh nodded, already running closer to the building. "I'm on it!" He yelled back, readying his ice.

Once he approached the apartment complex, he quickly surveyed the source of the fire, making sure that he assisted the civilians in the building with escaping before he started putting out the flames.
"what dose the raccoon look like?"

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:54 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Jeff was happy that they both agreed with him. He could only hope that this plan worked out. Watching SubZero practically leap into action kick started his own wanting to help and his fear of someone getting hurt.

“Ok,” he said aloud but mostly to himself. “Distraction. Should be simple enough.”

He sent what was probably a weak grin at the Actor, then tried to steel himself. Next, he yelled at the villain before he could rethink the action.

“Hey!” Jeff waved his arms to get the lightning user’s attention. Or attempt to at least. “Why don’t you stop attacking people, please?”

He gulped as the figure turned his way. This might have been a bad idea.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:00 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Wren glanced over at Jewel before looking back at the villain. The man had turned their way, but she had no idea if Jewel's comment was enough to hold his attention. She needed something else - something that would continue to keep him distracted while she came up with a better plan and waited for SubZero to finish rescuing the people in the burning building.

"Why are you doing this?" Wren asked. If he was like the other villains she had faced, the question would prompt him into a monologue - villains really liked to talk about their line of work, and what motivated them to do it.
mage

queer and here.

414 Reviews

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:12 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

"Why?" The figure peered at Jeff and the Actor. He seemed to pause, going over something in his head. "Since I'm going to defeat you anyways, I might as well give my dues about my powers and the horrible things that have happened in my life."

Jeff cut off a grin. At least they had the other's attention now. Hopefully, the police will show up soon and scare the lightning producer into cooperating. Besides that, they can try to approach him and slowly help calm him.

The guy was actually still talking. "There was this person who just stood in the middle of the road! And left me to get shot by the storm! And then, it wasn't even the worst part!"

He scratched at his neck. It seemed starting the conversation would often lead to the villains speaking about everything.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:03 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"That's horrible," Wren agreed - partially to keep him talking, and partially because some of his story really did sound bad, in between all of the dramatic monologuing.

She didn't dare look over in Jewel's direction - she had to keep her eyes on the villain, or he would think that she wasn't paying attention. "What was the worst part?" she asked, admittedly more out of curiosity than anything else.
mage

queer and here.

414 Reviews

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

The villain sniffed, running a hand through his dark floppy hair. "Then my boyfriend broke up with me and kicked me out. All cause he startled the heck outta me while I was sleeping!" He quieted, seemingly forgetting he was speaking with who should be his enemy. "He didn't even give me a chance to say sorry."

Jeff couldn't help but feel sorry for him. It had been years since his best friend had cut off their relationship, but he understood how tough it was losing someone. Maybe the dude will get some help once the police arrived. At least it didn't seem like too many people were hurt.

"Can I ask why you're trying to destroy the apartment complex, then? This seems a little random as a coping mechanism."

"Oh, uh," the villain seemed to flush at the question. "It's cause he's here."

Jeff groaned, and caught eyes with the Actor. Unbelievable. When did his life turn into a soap opera?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:54 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Wren shifted uncomfortably - how was she supposed to deal with this revelation? She had never been in a relationship before. She had been in friendships, but they had never ended on a sour note. Her childhood friendship with two boys she still missed had ended bittersweet - she had moved away and left them behind.

"If he was mad at you for that," Wren softly said, looking away from Jewel and at the villain instead, "maybe there was something else that was the problem. Was there anything else that had come up between you?"
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:16 am
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Resh, meanwhile, had successfully put out the flames of the building, and busied himself by doing a sweep through of the smoking floors, making sure there were no people remaining inside.

After making sure that the people he'd rescued were alright, and that the city's emergency respondents were on their way, he jogged back over to join Jewel and the Actor. Ashes flecked his white hair, and there was a streak of soot on his cheek, but otherwise, he looked unjarred from the fire.

"What's going on?" he leaned over to murmur to the Actor inconspicuously. "Backstory time?"
"what dose the raccoon look like?"

414 Reviews

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:35 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Jeff glanced at SubZero, relieved that he seemed fine and helped a lot of people to safety. He would figure he only had a few more minutes needed to stall, but he was curious in all fairness about the villain, of sorts.

“Maybe,” he ventured, “you can work out your problems without hurting others? How about a letter, if we’re taking old fashioned means?”

Jeff quickly added another question. “What’s your name, anyway, dude?”

Referring to the guy as “Lightning Rod” felt a little mean after getting to know him for a bit.

The other man tapped his chin, seemingly intrigued by the advice. “A letter sounds like a great idea! And, call me Roddie. Not telling if it’s based off my powers or not.”

Well, they learned something about the newly-named Roddie at least.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:09 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"Backstory," Wren murmured back in confirmation, trying to keep her voice as quiet as she could. She didn't want to seem like she wasn't listening to Roddie, but she also didn't want to ignore SubZero.
mage

queer and here.

414 Reviews

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Well, at least they were a united front once more against Roddie. The guy seemed to have calmed down since the start of his chaos streak, but Jeff wasn't sure what he should do now. He could either keep Roddie talking or try to convince him to turn himself in.

When were those darn police cars finally going to show up? Jeff sent a message to the station at least twenty minutes ago. Ugh. He painted a wide smile on his face so as to not alarm Roddie in the slightest.

"So, Roddie," He said eventually, startling the villain into glancing up at him, "what do you say about going to a cafe to write that letter?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:27 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"I'm not sure how much help I could be," Wren added, joining back into the conversation when she realized what Jewel was trying to do, "but I might be able to help if you struggle with the wording."
mage

queer and here.

414 Reviews

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:42 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Jeff felt grateful towards the Actor that they were following his lead. That plan hadn't been too formed in his head before he spoke, but having the other hero's support could only help push Roddie to come back with them.

Maybe getting a letter done could lead to a lighter sentence as well, to actually describe his motivations for trying to destroy an apartment complex.

"That actually sounds kind of fun," Roddie mused, tapping at his chin. "Where is this grand cafe you speak of?"

Heh. He knew the cafe idea would work. "It's actually right around the corner." Jeff glanced at the other's current uniform. "You might need to change out of your suit though."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:18 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

She nodded in agreement.

...And then she realized she recognized the buildings around them. It wasn't just that she had seen them a few times; she had grown up around them. Horror began to flood her despite her calm face. There was just one cafe in this area.

And it was the Carter Corner Cafe.

...Her family's cafe.
mage

queer and here.

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson