Young Writers Society

A Fradulent Zodiac

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:38 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"We just wanted to get a bite to eat," Levi lied, giving a very Levi-esque smile. It was the same, polite one he always used at school. She had always been a little creeped out by the switch between her brother and one of the most popular boys in their school, but now she couldn't help but feel a little impressed. It wasn't as necessary for her to do that, but it was still a cool feat.

"We're staying with some relatives in town for part of the summer," Juniper added. "They went out to the city for the day, so it's just us."

"Leftovers just weren't sounding good," Levi concluded with a shrug.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:53 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Donnie nodded at their simple explanation. Even if he figured there might be more to that story, he could certainly understand wanting to do something outside of the house or immediate family.

"Well, I'm happy to serve you both, Mister and Miss -?" He paused, realizing he still didn't know their names. "Uh, if you're not cool with telling me your names, or whatever, just say something I can call you. Otherwise, I'll start with drink items as nicknames."

"To start," he continued, "I'm Donnie, the main bartender at this bar, and that's Ray working on who knows what. He's a little newer here, but is a decent mixer at least."

"Just decent?" Came from the corner, his disgruntled employee frowning before approaching the kids. "Yeah, I'm the younger, better Donnie."

They both chuckled, then turned their attention back to the siblings. A thought sprang to his head.

"I guess we could start with our, ya'know animals forms or whatever, but eh. Only if you want." Donnie shrugged in answer to his own words.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:04 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"I'm Juni-" she started to say, only to stop when the ending part of the conversation registered. "You turned into animals, too?"

Levi uttered a quiet groan next to her. She rolled her eyes at the noise - of course he'd want to be secretive. But they had acknowledged it first, so what was the harm in admitting they had gone through the same thing?

"My name's Juniper Quinn," she started again, "and this is my brother Levi. I turned into a wolf, and he turned into a deer."

She couldn't help but feel a little bit of pride. She didn't know why yet, but she had gotten to become something that was cooler than him. It was a nice switch from how things normally were, and she wasn't going to miss the opportunity to hang it over his head.
mage

queer and here.

414 Reviews

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:17 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Ray mentally shook a fist, then marveled at the idea of the siblings being both predator and prey. Maybe that partially played to the dynamic regardless if Juniper was actually older than she looked.

"That's way rad though, having a wolf and a deer! Are you like typical-sized? Cause like I'm just this weird hand-sized crab." Ray pulled a face, then shook himself out of his funk. "Nevermind me, but I'm kind of glad we're not alone!"

He glanced at Donnie, to get an eye roll and then a nod. His boss cleared his throat, stepping away from cleaning the grills before he spoke up. "Uh, yeah, I'm a pretty big snake myself, nice to meet you."

Ray ran a hand through his hair, yawning even though it was barely into the afternoon. Gosh, he was feeling like an old person already, but he was barely past the legal drinking age! Maybe the weird magic thing would help kickstart his attitude towards something new, or maybe it would simply make him more tired than ever.

"I, don't have much besides introductions and animal forms apparently. Have anything to do that's 'hip' with the kids now, hm?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:03 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
@ScarlettFire, would you be able to post for this soon?
mage

queer and here.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:38 pm
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Spoiler! :
Ethan: Brown hair, light brown skin, brown eyes, average build, average height (5'6ish and only slightly shorter than Nich), wearing comfortable black jeans, a stylish grey shirt and a black leather jacket. He's probably got sunglasses somewhere on his person and a smartphone. Dhampir (haf-human, half-vampire). He's only about 18.

His animal form is that of a little black wolf pup!

Nich: Dark brown, almost black, hair, pale skin, red-brown eyes, average build, average height (about 5'7/5'8ish and slighter taller than Ethan), wearing dark jeans and a pale pruple buttoned shirt with a denim jacket over it. Also probably sunglasses on and a smartphone (also probably not working). Vampire, but he can see and speak to/interact with spirits (which he could do even as a human). He only looks like he's 16, but he's realy about 3,000 years old, give or take a few decades or centuries.

His animal form is that of a deer; an albino deer, in fact.

Ciaran: He looks about 20ish with pale skin, dark brown hair and red-brown eyes. He has scary-looking fangs and there's four of them! He's currently wearing a dark red, button-up shirt and a pair of black jeans and a black velvet jacket. He'll probably have a latest-release smartphone and sunglasses on his person somewhere. And yeah, he's a really old--like 7, 000-odd years old--vampire, and one you do not want to piss off.

His animal form is a goat.

Ciaran rolled his eyes at the sudden crash from downstairs. Nich and Ethan were obviously tormenting not only each other, but also his fledglings. He set down the paperwork he'd been pouring over carefully and rubbed his temples. He had a headache coming on, and the chaos downstairs was not helping.

"Nich, Ethan, knock it off!" he shouted, planting his face in one hand. Ciaran listened carefully for a reply and was answered with silence. And then excited yipping followed closely by some kind of distressed bleating. Ciaran groaned and pushed back from his chair. He stood up and rounded the desk to head for the door only to suddenly collapse as is vision darkened dangerously.

The next thing he knew, there was an excited little black pup in his face. Ciaran yelped and rolled away. Or he should have yelped, but let out a startled bleat instead. He froze, staring down at the pup. It took him a moment to realise that the little black pup yipping excitedly at him was not a dog. It was a wolf pup. Shit.

He climbed to his feet--four of them, and wasn't that just plain odd--and blinked slowly down at the pup. It tilted its head at him, yipped and took off out the door. Ciaran stared after it, trying to process everything. He did have an innate ability to shape-shift as most vampires as ancient as he was tended to discover, but not into....whatever form he was currently in.

Ciaran glanced down and noticed the hooves, and the brindled coloured fur, and exhaled heavily. Apparently, he'd need to find a mirror.

He did so just done the hall in the bathroom, putting his...hooves on the sink to get a look at himself. It took a long moment for what he was seeing to sink in.

He was a goat.

A very handsome, grouchy-looking goat.

A freaking goat.

If he could laugh right now, he would. And then, as suddenly as he'd become a goat, he was himself again and staring at his own reflection with wide eyes. Ciaran began laughing incredulously and then took a moment to compose himself before going to find his son and Nich. They were supposed to be in the lounge room downstairs.

What he found instead was the excitable wolf pup dancing around and around a white fawn. The fawn looked at him, let out a pitiful little grunt and collapsed to the ground. Ciaran stared at the pair and then glanced upwards. Now he had to figure out which animal was which vampire--or half-vampire. Ciaran sat down on the floor and sighed.

"Alright," he said, carefully neutral. "Which one of you is Ethan?" The pup bounded over and tumbled into his lap, yipping. Ciaran squinted at it, then flicked the fawn a glance. "Okay, I'm going to assume that you--" he tapped the pup on the nose "--are Ethan... Which means the little white fawn is Nich?"

The fawn grunted again, and then it rolled over and between one blink and the next, he was looking at Nich again. Nich groaned and sat up. "What the hell?" the younger vampire exclaimed, glancing around and then spotting Ethan in Ciaran's lap. "What just happened? Why was I damn animal for a moment there? WHY IS ETHAN STILL A PUPPY?"

"Wolf pup," Ciaran correctly softly, absently petting Ethan's puppy head. "And you two aren't the only ones. I turned into a goat."

Nich stared at him for a moment and then burst out laughing. "A what?" he gasped between fits of laughter. "A...a what? A goat? You're kidding me!"

Ciaran scowled. "I am being completely serious, Nich."

Nich sobered almost immediately. "Shit, okay. Sorry."

"Do you think it was only us?"

They both glanced down at wolf!Ethan, who grinned a toothy puppy grin at them.

"No," Nich said, frowning. "I thought I saw a snake earlier. And a horse.... In the hall."

Ciaran frowned again. "I was hoping it wouldn't be that... C'mon, let's go."

Fifteen minutes later, Ciaran and Nich were outside a bar with wolf pup!Ethan in Ciaran's arms. Ciaran glanced over the bar and sighed, then glanced towards Nich. The younger vampire was scowling and giving Ethan an envious, side-eyed look.

"Does he have to stay in his stupid animal form?" he muttered grouchily. "It's not like we got to choose."

Ciaran snorted. "You don't know that for sure."

"Let's just go in and get that drink you promised."

With a shrug, Ciaran pushed the door open and led the way into the bar. And walked in on the four people inside discussing animal forms. Ethan yipped excitedly and jumped down out of his arms to go racing around one of the teenagers near the bar. Ciaran rolled his eyes and turned to face the two adults.

"Sorry for intruding, but my...friend and I were looking to get a strong drink and just happened to overhear you speaking about animals forms? Do you have any idea what's happening?"
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:22 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
@fraey, are you okay with posting before me here? I'm not sure if I know how to write up a post for this.
mage

queer and here.

414 Reviews

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:50 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Spoiler! :
@Magestorrow I can definitely get to this later!

414 Reviews

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:55 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Donnie narrowed his eyes at the newcomers, who also looked too young to be at a bar. What was up with the kids nowadays, all trying to get drinks underage?

Not to mention their admittedly adorable little dog that walked in with them. Judging by their questions though, he would assume that’s a friend of theirs still in their new “form” or whatever.

He took over introduction duties, pointing to himself and Ray. Since he wasn’t the teens’ dad, Donnie waited for them to give their names before trying to answer their thoughts.

“As long as you have some ID, I can give you a drink. If not, you’re stuck with soda. For the animal thing, yeah we’ve all had a bit of change today ourselves. Rather unexpected.”

He walked behind the counter once more, waiting for the cards and for their orders.

“If the burgers look good, there’s plenty from where they came from as well.”

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:42 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Ciaran strode over towards the bar, plucking wolf!Ethan up off the floor as he did so. After a moment, his son squirmed so much that he handed him off to Nich, who scowled but took him anyway. Then he smiled at the bartender and ordered two whiskeys. The bartender raised an eyebrow at him, so Ciaran dug out his wallet and handed his ID over. Donnie, the bartender, blinked at it, then glanced up at him.

"I have very good genes," he said, smiling wider and failing to hide the hint of fang. Ciaran glanced towards Nich. "Nich, ID for the bartender, please."

Nich snorted and dug his own wallet out one-handed, flipped it open and then turned it so Donnie could see his ID. "Very good genes, cousin."

Ciaran snorted and eyed his son for a moment. "How's Ethan feeling?"

"Restless," Nich muttered and let him down. Ethan immediately ran back over to the two teenagers, and Nich shook his head. "Honestly.... Way too much energy."

"You're one to talk," Ciaran said and turned back to the bar. "Satisfied?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:46 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Levi narrowed his eyes behind his glasses as the three entered the room - there was something off about them, and it wasn't just because he knew they had fake IDs. They both looked young. And, given the circumstances, he wasn't sure he could trust that it was just because they had good genes.

Especially when they drew attention to genes and being cousins right in front of the bartender.

But while Levi was trying to watch the two, Juniper was completely enamored by what was running around her feet. "Aw," she cooed. She tugged his sleeve, and he reluctantly looked down. "Look at the dog - he's so cute."

He stared at the purported dog, green eyes momentarily flashing violet.

"That's a wolf," Levi said, his voice trailing off into a very, very quiet noise that sounded almost like a muted inhuman scream.

Juniper raised an eyebrow. "I thought cats were supposed to bother you more."

He gave her a deadpan look. "Wrong thing," he replied, his voice quiet yet clearly irritated.
mage

queer and here.

414 Reviews

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:22 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Ray chuckled from the corner. Leave it to Donnie to glare down youth-faced adults. No one expected his boss to be so determined to not let any young person drink (he expected it to be something from the other man's past) until they walked through the doors.

The teens were fussing over the certainly cute dog-pup-wolf animal, while Donnie was grabbing the drinks the newcomers had ordered. While he felt safe-ish around the kiddos, he didn't know how to feel about the actual adults that came now. He could only imagine that they would have better forms than a dumb oversized crab.

Ray sighed, pushing his hair back. His esteem issues could be dealt with later. For now, he probably should try to get more information about what could be going on.

"Is it safe to assume you both transformed too? Into something not human?" He asked, shooting the question to the apparent cousins.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:11 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Ciaran exchanged a loaded look with Nich and frowned. "Goat," he said, and gestured vaguely around the room before picking up his drink. "It was rather unexpected."

Nich muttered, almost too low for anyone else to hear, "Fawn..."

"Ethan's the wolf pup," Ciaran said with a nod towards said wolf pup running circles around the others. He watched Ethan for a moment and sighed. "My son really should change back before Nich decides he's not worth it anymore."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:19 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Juniper and Levi exchanged a startled look, their attention completely wandering from the puppy. The word had never been said, but it was implied that Nich and Ethan were in some kind of relationship - but weren't Ciaran and Nich cousins? And just how old was Ethan if his dad was so young? It was hurting Juniper's head, and making her think that something like her brother's situation was going on right now.
mage

queer and here.

414 Reviews

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:10 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Donnie blinked at the conversation, then shrugged. It wasn’t really his business as long as they were legal, had money, and didn’t wreck the bar.

“I haven’t heard much besides ‘animal transformations’ and some crazy magic user that mighta done it all. Articles are starting to pop up online.”

With Ray on the outside as well, there was something certainly going on with the rest of the people in here. Maybe he’ll find out more if he just waited.

Stupid risks make life worth living.
— Homer Simpson