z

Young Writers Society

Wake Me Up Inside

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:07 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

A monster was almost as bad as being cute, but Aegeas tightened his grip.

"I'm not afraid of you," he said, starting up into the face of his (possible) rescuer. "I'm afraid of those other people. And why am I a monster?"

Taber nodded. Yep, this person was pretty nice and friendly, and he seemed to understand Taber well enough. It was also cool to be around another shapeshifter and magic-user. Those weren't all that easy to find (or liked to hide that they were one or the other - but why could they be afraid of showing their true selves?)

That's when the wolf heard the twig snap. Excited, he jumped around, spotting the stranger hiding behind the tree immediately. "Hi, arm!" he growled, pointing to the stranger's exposed arm.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:14 am
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

"No, no! You aren't a monster! I only thought that before I saw you. And- and," he gulped quickly, and peered back into the dark, his eyes shining with a new fear. "What other people? Scary people? Are they wearing white coats?"

He wrapped his arms around the otter's head almost without realizing it, but otherwise tried his best to look less afraid.
"what dose the raccoon look like?"

299 Reviews

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:57 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

This rescuer sure liked his head. Aegeas wasn't sure how to take it, so he focused on the weird question.

"I dunno," he said. "Maybe? The fire could've been from one of those people. Didn't get a good enough look at them though."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Saentiel's head had whipped around the moment he heard the twig snap from nearby, and the werewolf's sudden growl while gesturing at an exposed arm confirmed his suspicions - there was someone else very, very close. He froze. How had they gotten so close to him and the werewolf without either noticing earlier? He should have! He had really good instincts and was really good at picking up on stuff like that; it was what would make him a good fighter someday!

He really wanted to run away, but the werewolf didn't seem bad and it was his duty to protect others. He took a deep, deep breath and carefully crept over to the tree, going around the other side to avoid detection. When he finally arrived, a terrified cry left his lips - he was looking at a human!

Wait, that wasn't right. Humans didn't have fangs. He wasn't used to seeing four of them, but he knew what was supposed to have fangs. He straightened considerably and looked the boy over with wide eyes. A werewolf and a vampire? Why were all these people ending up in Heaven!? Wasn't it just supposed to be a place for angels like him?

He shook the thought aside. He needed to focus on more important things, like what he was supposed to do with a vampire--

--"I-I th-thought..." the woman - no, the monster - stammered, eyes widened as she stumbled back from him. The alleyway was dark, and the moon was but a sliver above. It was the perfect night to catch his prey unaware.

His lips curled into a smile in response.

"You thought what?" he asked, taking a step forward. The vampire shrieked in horror and bumped into the brick wall behind her; the smile only grew. Oh, the irony. It was meant to be the perfect feeding ground for her, as it was easy prevent a target from exiting when she had the upper hand. But now he was the one with the most power, and the setting of this fateful encounter had fallen into his favor. "Did you think that you honestly had me around your little finger?"

She just stared at him.

"I knew what you were," he said. He reached into the inside of his jacket and pulled out a wooden stake, still caked in the dry blood of the last vampire he had killed. "You're a vampire. You've lured human after human into this very same alleyway. It's a fitting place for you to die, isn't it?"

"I'll do anything-"

His lips parted to reveal a grin. "It's too late to bargain. You made your choice. I'm making mine right now."

The scream that left her as he impaled her with the stake was cut short by him covering her hand with his mouth. Red splattered onto his jacket and bare skin. The vampire's body fell limp to the ground in a pool of her own blood. He left her there to become one of the many corpses found in that little abandoned alleyway - a fitting end for a monster like her.

Feeling something wet on his cheek, he raised a hand up and casually wiped away a droplet of the vampire's blood--

--A nauseous feeling suddenly overcame him, and Saentiel went stumbling back into the tree behind him. He felt like he was going to be sick! What-What was that? Was that a dream? It had felt too real to be one, but it couldn't have been a memory. He was too old, and too not like him. But then why was he so sure it had happened?

And why had he...had he...

All color drained from his face.

Why had he killed someone?

He stared down at his hand, trying - and failing - to get the image of much larger ones being coated in blood out of his mind. "That-That couldn't have been me," he whispered, blue eyes still wide in horror. "I d-don't hurt people! I'm not a murderer!"
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:41 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Taber turned around after the winged man hit the tree. That was odd. Sure, people with wings could be kinda clumsy, especially when there was lots of stuff for wings to run into, but he was pretty sure the winged man had been standing still just a second ago.

But what was really strange was when the winged man called himself a murderer.

"You didn't hurt me," Taber hissed, walking up to the winged man and holding his hand. "And I think that tree's fine. You aren't-"

"How long has he been here?"

"I couple minutes, I am not-"

"It'll be a miracle if there's enough blood left in his body."

"I came here as fast as I could, but trees and two feet of snow are not the most cooperative terrain. How was I to know that they would steal him like that?"

"You should've kept a closer eye on him. He's too much of a valuable target now that-"

"I know that! And yet, I distinctly remember he was in one of your tents."

"And I'm pretty sure you were hanging around that tent like a lovesick idiot."

"How dare you, I am not-"

Taber winced. That was weird. He didn't have dreams like that. But he'd been laying down on some kind of rock, his vision fading in and out. There'd been a redhead and a blonde-haired lady, and he sure he knew both of them, but he didn't know how. He'd never seen them before. That...feeling in the dream had also been wrong. It'd been like his body wasn't happy with him, like it had decided to go all sticky and wet and drown out his brain. He didn't know it was possible to feel like that.

He gripped the winged man's hand tighter.

9 Reviews

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:18 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

"Oh." Sevy's eyes widened, and he glanced toward the trees again, his voice having dropped to a whisper.

Did the Bad People his mother told him about use fire? He didn't know. It seemed likely, though.

"Should we- should we run then? A- are they looking for you?" His voice shook, and he trembled slightly.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
I'm going to throw in another character of mine, though I'll keep his name hidden for just another post for shock value. :P The new kid is only six or seven, and is about average height. He's currently wearing Biblical-style clothing, but I don't really have anything specific in mind for what those clothes look like. He has dark skin, eyes and hair - hair that is noticeably on the curlier side. He also has two birthmarks, one above each eye, but both probably aren't that noticeable under his bangs.

Saentiel jerked his hand out of the werewolf's grasp, far too afraid of himself to let anyone get close to him. He shouldn't have been here, but he had the most horrible feeling that it had been. He couldn't ignore the feeling, either - it stubbornly persisted no matter what else he tried thinking of. "Stay away from me," he whispered to the werewolf, a very serious expression on his little face. "I-I think I might hurt you!"

xXx

He liked trading in stories. Humans really liked to talk about their lives, and he really liked to hear them do it, so it usually was a good experience for both of them. In some of his most recent deals, he had heard stories of places far, far away, with trees unlike anything he had ever seen before. And when he had seen that beautiful green sea in the distance, he just had to go see it. It should have been a mirage, but it wasn't - it was actually real! He had gone running right into it, and promptly started exploring everything he could see.

No one ever asked for stories on his side of the deal, but he made sure to note every detail in his head. It was exotic, surreal and just a bit creepy - everything he could ask for in a story! He clamored over tree roots and peered around tree trunks, listening to an unfamiliar wind blowing through just as unfamiliar trees.

And then he heard movement and conversations in the distance.

He immediately perked up. People! He loved people, especially when he knew they'd let him do his job. It wasn't technically his job, but it was close enough to it. He knew what he was, despite never being told, and knew that it was his duty to make deals with people. He went rushing over to the closest of the two sets of people, skidding to a halt when he saw the furry person and the boy with wings.

"Hi!" he exclaimed, nearly tripping over the bottom of his pants. He thought for a second, then promptly adopted a more serious expression on his face and a more serious tone to his voice - he had to do this professionally.

"Do you want to make a deal?" he asked, hands already going for his most recent scroll. He'd have to write down their names, just in case he somehow forgot who they were.

"Every person wants something," he wisely added, wanting to show off his expertise on the subject. "And I'm really powerful, so I can do anything! I just don't kill people, because that's mean, and I don't do things with souls, because I don't know how to do that and I don't even know what you'd use a soul for. "
mage

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:34 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Aegeas looked the stranger up and down, then darted behind his rescuer. "He's a white coat person," the otter said, pushing his rescuer forward. "You go deal with him."

9 Reviews

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:06 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Sevy did a double take as the robed boy burst through the clearing. He didn't register anything that the newcomer said in his state of being completely taken aback, but did hear what the otter said about white coats.

As he was pushed forward, he carefully examined the boy. Really, he was just a kid, like him! He did have white coat thingies on, but he doubted that he was one of the people he had been warned about. Plus, he doubted that kids could be the bad people.

"No, I don't think he is, it's okay!" He turned and whispered loudly before facing the person again.

"Um, hello! I'm Sevy, and this is... uh, I don't actually know his name." He tried to give a friendly smile and not seem as nervous as he actually was (even after all the self reassurance).

"Are you... are you going to kidnap me, by the way? Just asking, because that's what my Mom said would happen if I got lost in the woods."

299 Reviews

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:16 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

"I'm Aegeas," said the otter. He scowled at the newcomer. If his rescuer said the newcomer was okay, the newcomer probably was. Besides, the newcomer looked pretty small and unarmed. He liked using fancy words, but that was about it. "And I'd kinda like to not be kidnapped, thanks."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:59 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He looked the two over for a minute, then gave an excited bob of his head as he spoke - it wasn’t exactly a nod, but it was close. "I don't do kidnappings, either!" he assured them. "I used to threaten people, but that didn’t work out too well because they kept saying I was too cute and kept pinching my cheeks."

He paused.

"I don't like getting my cheeks pinched," he clarified.

Another moment passed; he had withdrawn his stylus and scroll from his bag. Now he could finally get down to business. He scouted the area for the best place to sit, gaze landing on a nearby rock. He plopped himself down onto it and rested the scroll on top of his legs.

"My name's Azazel!" he cheerfully introduced himself. If they were going to give their names, he needed to give his own. "I'm a demon! Some think I fell from Heaven, but I'm an Earth demon through and through! I haven't even been to Hell yet - although I'm going to go once I can find a way!"
mage

queer and here.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:04 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Ciaran took a step forward and yelped when the winged-boy appeared in front of him, stumbling back into the tree. The winged-boy's eyes seemed to glaze over for a moment and Ciaran swallowed back a little whimper. What was going on? Why was the angel stumbling backwards into the tree? Ciaran was so confused!

And then the wolf-boy was there, holding the angel's hand and Ciaran was even more confused. What was going on? Why was he just standing there? Ciaran frowned, cringing back into the tree.

Red eyes in the darknes, coming closer. Ciaran was hurt, so very hurt. He knew what pain felt like, but this...this was different.

And then there was a face above him, eyes glowing brightly and dull candlelight glinting off four very sharp fangs.

Ciaran came back to himself screaming, having missed anything that the angel and wolf-boy might have been saying. He grabbed his head and slid down the tree, whimpering and crying. What had that been? Why had he been so scared? Why had he been older? That couldn't be a memory, could it?

"No, no, no," he whispered, rocking back and forth. "No, no, that didn't happen...that never happened...."
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:03 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

When the vampire screamed, he was sure that he was the reason for his terror. He must have seen what he saw, too - he must have known what he had done. (The age was a little weird, and he had acted different, too, but he had known it was him. It had to have been him.) He let out a little cry of horror and tried to stumble back, but only ended up bumping into the tree again.

But then he realized that the vampire wasn't looking at him.

Relief flooded him, and he took a tentative step forward. He didn't like seeing the boy so scared - he didn't like how he was rocking himself back and forth, how he was crying, and how he was letting out little whimpers, too. He wasn't quite sure what to do, but he made his way over to the vampire and sat down beside him--

--She was so scared, and it was all his fault. He shouldn't have let him go off on his own - it didn't matter that he apparently had connections he could only dream of. She was in a little ball beside him now, sobbing into his jacket as they sat on the edge of the bed. It was so easy to forget just how young she really was. She wasn't used to losing people yet, and had never dealt with the pain and grief that followed the loss of someone who was your entire world-

No. He couldn't think of him as gone. He was still alive. He wasn't another Nick - try not to think of the broken body on the pavement, the police saying that it was just an accident, the fury in your heart when your protests fell on deaf ears, the feeling that it was all your fault because why else would the supernatural kill him like that - and they would find him. It would just take some time.

He gave her a pat on the back. "It's alright, kid," he reassured her. The promise felt hollow as it left his lips, and his comment was met with another fresh batch of sobs. "Issac's a strong demon. He can handle himself, even if he's not as powerful as he used to be."

"B-But what if they break him?" she whispered. "What-What if I can't fix him, and he's stuck-stuck like that until we can f-find the people who put him in that-that..."

His expression softened as he pushed aside his growing anger at what had happened, and he pulled her closer to him. After a moment of hesitation, he began to rub her back - Heaven knew she needed it. "We'll find him before then," he said. "And when we finally do run into the people who took him, I'll give them a taste of Hell's finest torture."

He turned his eyes black to prove his point.

A small smile spread across her tear-stained face.

"Please don't," she said.

He smirked. "I'll wait until you leave the room, then."

She let out a quiet groan that quickly devolved into a laugh, and he let his smirk turn into a regular smile - his plan was a success. His human - their human - was finally beginning to feel better--

As the memory faded from his mind, a warm feeling settled in Saentiel's chest. He felt angry, too, even though he didn't know who "Issac" even was. It scared him to think that he somehow knew a demon, but thought of his apparent demon friend (?) made him getting butterflies in tummy. He tried to ignore the butterflies and instead comfort the vampire sitting next to him. The vision/memory/dream-thingy seemed to show him a good way to do it, so he gave the vampire a hearty pat on the shoulder before rubbing his back.

"It's okay!" he told him. "I don't know your name, or why you're upset, but I'm sure everything's going to be alright."

He thought for a moment, then added, "My name's Saentiel. I don't know his name-" Here he pointed at the werewolf. "-because I can't understand what he's saying, but he seems really nice, too."

As he waited for the vampire to calm down, his mind returned back to what he had seen. He liked Issac and Nick, whoever they were, although the thought of Nick made him feel really, really sad and angry. He couldn't quite figure out why. But then another part of the vision came into the forefront of his mind, and he stopped rubbing the vampire's back when he realized two things.

His wings were missing in it, and he could do the scary things that demons did with their eyes.

But that didn't make any sense! He wasn't a demon. He was an angel, and he hadn't fallen! He glanced behind him. Yup, his wings were still there. He turned back to the vampire. There had to be an explanation for it, right?

He glanced between the werewolf and vampire, and then at the woods around him--

--"It's dangerous," Adriel said. He wanted to give a snarky retort, but he bit his tongue and rolled his eyes instead - he had to think about what would happen to his friends if he did. "No one knows what happens inside the woods. Few make it out, and they never are quite the same when they do."

"Which is why I'm going in, I'm guessing," he said, making sure he sounded at least somewhat bored when he spoke. There was no reason to give Adriel what he wanted. "You've always loved avoiding getting your hands dirty, haven't you? You've been that way since you were a little tiny angel."

Adriel frowned.

"You love putting yours where they don't belong, Saentiel, so this will be the perfect task for you," Adriel snarled in response, and he felt his blood run cold. Issac and Quinn were giving him surprised looks now - he could see them doing it out of the corner of his eye. They must have realized it. He knew Issac had been suspicious for quite some time, but the clearly angelic name was confirmation. He wasn't a demon from Hell.

He was a fallen angel--

--He blinked, surprised by the sudden intrusion of another memory. Why was Adriel being so mean, and why did he look so old? He had just seen him a little while ago, and while he was kind of a jerk, he didn't make him mad. But the woods he had seen in the memory were a lot like the ones he was in now, so he hesitantly glanced between the vampire and werewolf again and asked, "Are you getting weird vision things, too? It feels like a memory, but it can't be, because I'm really, really old in it and not like I am now."
mage

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:57 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

"Hello, Azazel!" Sevy smiled a bit wider than before, now thouroughly relieved. He'd never met a demon, but he'd heard stories about them, and not all of them were bad!

Suddenly, screams broke through the clearing, and his eyes widened again. He looked around, and turned so that he could once again clutch at Aegeas.

"W- what's that?" Suddenly, a thought occurred to him. "Oh no! Maybe someone's hurt! Should we go see if we can help?"

299 Reviews

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:29 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Taber huffed and crossed his arms as the winged man let go and moved over to the fanged kid. Why were these people getting so upset? They were just dreams; Taber had ones like those all of the time. He frowned. He had to remember what his mom had told him. Different people saw different things. What was a little confusing and weird to him was probably terrifying to the fanged kid and the winged man. And he didn't like seeing people sad.

Heading around the tree, the wolf kneeled in front of the fanged kid and trying wiping the tears off of his cheeks. "You okay?" he growled. "Do you need a hug?"

"How about no?" Aegeas said. He was a little more interested in self-preservation, even if his rescuer was a rescuer. But, Sevy or no, those screams were too loud and too close for comfort.

Then he remembered Azazel. The dude had been rambling about being a demon and going to Hell (wherever that was), but one detail stood out - he could give Aegeas (almost) anything he wanted.

"Can I make a deal?" Aegeas said to the demon.

If you don't sign up for a review team, you're basically saying you're okay with canine amphibian metamorphosis.
— Nate