Young Writers Society

Wake Me Up Inside

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:18 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Sune wasn't really sure how he was supposed to play as Arin. He had to be super careful with her body - he knew that much, even if he didn't remember doing something like this before. Arin was just a human, and humans were weaker than spirits. He had to make sure he didn't get hurt while he was like this!

But he also didn't know how to play without Arin suggesting things, so he stayed silent and let Nich do the suggesting instead. As he was waiting for Nich to come up with something, his mind began to wander. Arin and him were always playing in the woods together, but this time wasn't like those other times--

--They had been staying in the village for the past week, and today was the first day they had finally managed to slip away. Sune was grateful for all of the performances they had been allowed to have; it made Arin happier than she had been for awhile. But Arin was taking longer than expected to come out into the woods.

He wanted to head back into the town. He should have been going back to get her. But, if he did, then he'd have to return to the same form he had been using before - a girl around Arin's age, as it had been awhile since they had done duets with similar sounding voices - and he wanted to have some moments to himself so he could change his appearance as much as he wanted to-

Something moved in the brush.

"S-Sune?" Arin's voice called out, hesitant. The tone made him start for the trees, but then she added in, "Please don't come any closer."

...Something was wrong with her voice.

"...Arin?" he hesitantly asked, catching a glimpse of her clothing peeking out from behind a tree. "What's wrong?"

"S-Something's wrong with me," she managed to get out. "I was thinking about what happened before we got here - about getting caught by the wraith, and about how you did an awesome wraith impression, like you always did - and th-then..."

She sniffled.

"...I think they did something to me, Sune," she whispered. "I'm not myself right now. I feel like me, but it's all wrong."

That was when her change in voice suddenly registered.

"You sound like a wraith," he whispered.

"...Yeah," she got out, her voice breaking. "I think they made into one of them."

All he could do was stare at the base of the tree--

--Sune let out a strangled cry, stumbling away from Nich and tripping over Arin's feet in the process - his eyes wide with horror and confusion.

xXx

"...It might be harder for them to get back to normal?" Quinn hesitantly guessed, following Ciaran's gaze as the group looked in the direction of the building. She hoped it wasn't something else. Even if they were both gods, neither God or Lucifer fully remembered who they were. Didn't that mean they were more susceptible to get in danger?

As if to answer her call, there was a startled cry from within in the building - nearly covering the noise that Sune made a short distance away.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:35 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

The screaming woke Taber up; his eyes shot open, and he looked around at the others.

"What's going on?" he said, voice slightly slurred because his exhaustion.

Tristan, who'd managed to hear both screams, shrugged. "We might need to split up?" he said. "Even if they're just remembering things, I don't want them to run into whatever might be lurking around in this forest."
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:14 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The trio of hunters looked at each other, worry just barely staying off of Issac and Gabriel's faces. "Lucifer and God should be okay," Issac said. "God doesn't scream much, and he would be there for Lucifer."

"Yeah, but we don't know which one of them did the screaming," Gabriel pointed out. "If it was Lucifer, that's okay. But if it's God, then something is seriously wrong."

"Something feels off-" Quinn started to say, only to be cut off by the sound of Sune crying again. She turned to see the demon sitting on the ground, legs pulled close to his chest as he hid his face in his knees.

Giving the two older demons a quick look, she went over to Sune and sat down beside the crying demon. "What's wrong?" she softly asked, giving him a rub on the back.

He sobbed even harder.

"I don't want to grow up!" he exclaimed. "Then Arin's going to grow up, too, and she's going to be a bad guy!"
mage

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:39 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Tristan almost jumped when he heard Sune crying. Hearing everyone talking about the possibility of a god screaming bothered him enough, so loud noises didn't exactly help his mood.

"Oh no!" Taber said, getting up and instinctively starting to stumble his way over to Sune. "Why's she going to be bad?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:55 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"Because she's going to be a wraith!" Sune wailed, the memory replaying in his head. "I saw it in a memory! She got turned into a wraith, and now she's going to take away people's life energy and kill them!"

"Are you sure she's bad?" Quinn softly asked.

He frantically nodded. "Wraiths are bad! She has to be bad, too." Why didn't she understand why this was so scary?--

--He finally mustered up the courage to walk around the tree.

Arin was on the ground, head tucked between her legs. She was pulling her legs close to her like she was a kid again - or, at least, he thought it was her. Her hair, her skin, her build - all of it was wrong. He didn't want to see her face; he couldn't handle the thought of seeing something different.

He sat down beside her.

"St-Stay back," Arin halfheartedly said. "I might want to feed on you soon. I'm not hungry yet, but it's only a-a matter of time."

He shook his head. "I'm not leaving," he stubbornly replied. "You can feed on me if you need to. I've been fed on before, remember?"

He put his arm around her and pulled her close. His hands were shaking, but he had to be brave for her.

"And I'm not leaving my best friend when she's scared and confused," he said.

Arin hesitantly raised her head.

He flinched when she suddenly poked at him with her feeding hand. And then she did it again, with the same look of disbelief on her face. "You're using a guise right now. I can feel it around me, but it doesn't look like..."

If the sudden poking hadn't scared him, the giggling that followed a second later definitely did. He stiffened as she wiggled out of his grip and jumped to her feet. "I'll be right back," she promised, still giggling and grinning as she darted behind the tree.

He waited.

She popped out from behind the tree, but she was different. Sune watched in amazement and confusion as an exact copy of his guise giggled and grinned at him. Arin - how was that her? - pulled him up to his feet, then gave a little twirl and a bow. "Sune, I'm like you!" she exclaimed. "I don't know how, but I can change my form!"

He stared at her.

And then he pulled her into a hug, feeling her body return to normal as his grip tightened. "I can't believe it," he managed to get out. "I-I'm not alone."

Arin hugged him back as tightly as she possibly could--

--His crying grew quiet, and he stared down at Arin's hand.

He screwed her eyes shut, and thought hard on making it look different with a mole right underneath her thumb on the back of her hand. Then his eyes flew open again.

There was a mole on the back of her hand.

A grin suddenly spread across his face.

"Arin's like me!" he exclaimed. "Arin's special, too!"
mage

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:20 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Taking a few more steps towards Sune, Taber ultimately opted to bellyflop onto the ground, propping his head on his paws.

"That's great!" Taber said. "So she's not a bad person, then?"

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:48 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Ciaran glanced between the building and the crying child, even as Nich clung to his legs again. He shrugged at Tristan's question, still glancing between the building and Sune. It had been a while since he'd had to deal with a crying child, and he wasn't quite sure how to go about fixing that, so he kept to the side and let the others deal with it.

"S'ne is sad," Nich muttered into his leg, and Ciaran absently reached down to stroke his hair. "S'ne sho'dn't be sad.... Sad is bad!"

"Nich, sometimes it's okay to be sad," Ethan muttered, crouching by his boyfriend-turned-child. Nich shook his head vehemently. "Nich..."

"No!" he grouched. "Sad bad! Sad for v'ry long...t'me.... Til you! Til Et'an!"

Ethan glanced up at him with a grimace, and Ciaran shrugged again--both at the look his son was giving him and the conversation the others were having. "Dad...how long before he, uh...returns to himself, do you think?"

Ciaran sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose with the one not stroking Nich's hair. "I might be old, Ethan, and a vampire, but I do not know everything, even when it may seem like I do."

Ethan eyed him warily and then glance down again when Nich gave a little hiccuping sob and clutched harder at Ciaran's leg. "What's wrong?"

"Et'an....got h'rt....by....sire... Bad sire!"

Ethan grimaced again and shot Ciaran a look. Ciaran sighed. Apparently Nich was starting to remember things, and they appeared to be not very good things. He crouched beside his son and Nich.

"Nich, the bad sire can't hurt you or Ethan anymore," he said, voice low. "I overrode his claim on you, remember?"

Nich hiccuped again and peered up at him with red, watery eyes. "I 'member... Felt...good..."

Ciaran grimaced, and then stroked Nich's hair some more. "Yes," he said and tugged Nich closer to him. "And then I killed the bad sire, Nich. He wouldn't take no for an answer, and wouldn't heed my warnings. So the bad sire is gone. He can't hurt anyone anymore."

"Otay," Nich muttered and then flung his arms around Ciaran's neck and buried his face in Ciaran's shoulder. Ciaran held him carefully and glanced around to find Sune sitting on the ground, hugging his knees and Taber laying beside him, speaking to him quietly.

"Everything alright?" Ciaran asked, meting Ethan gaze. Ethan shrugged.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

299 Reviews

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:20 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Spoiler! :
Oop, I'mma let @Magestorrow respond to this.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:21 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"She's not!" Sune confirmed, grinning.
mage

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:12 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

The wolf's tail started to wag as he said, "Yay, that's nice to hear! It'd kinda stink if Arin was."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:20 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Sune got to his feet and went to Ciaran, lingering at the vampire's feet as he looked up at Nich. "I feel better now," he told Nich, smiling. "I'm not sad anymore. Can we play some more?"

Issac crouched down in front of him. "We need to go find our other friends," he said. "They're scared like you were, too, but they don't have anyone to comfort them. We need to go into that building and find out what happened. Do you want me to carry you in there like Ciaran is holding Nich?"

Sune glanced at the building, then at Issac. Then he looked back at the building, only to repeat the process a few more times before nodding and holding his hands up.

Issac picked him up and held him close.

"Well," Gabriel said, "if no one has a problem with it, let's head in there and figure out who was doing that screaming."
mage

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Tristan nodded. "If you can, uh, help me carry my brother," he said to Taber, who was now pulling himself up off the ground.

"Sure!" said the wolf, walking alongside Tristan. Reaching the side of the building, Tristan grabbed Aegeas by the legs while Taber grabbed him by the head. With a couple seconds of crouching down and deep breaths (at least, on Tristan's part; Taber had always been much stronger), they lifted him up.

With that out of the way, Tristan turned to the others and nodded in the direction of the building's entrance. "Lead the way," he said.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:09 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
@ScarlettFire, do you want to post before I do again?
mage

queer and here.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you, and smile."
— Anne Frank