Hanukkah, O' Hanukkah

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:43 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

~Hanukkah, O' Hanukkah~

December. It's the time of family, food, tradition, and culture - but really, it's about the holidays. Christmas is coming soon, but first...well, first there's Hanukkah, of course!

You awaken on the first day of Hanukkah in an unfamiliar place. A menorah containing only a single candle - the shamash - sits on the table in front of you. It's a small room, but homey, and entirely unadorned aside from the table and said menorah. The shamash burns brightly in the otherwise dark space. Around the table, you see several others - others who have gotten here exactly like you.

A note sits on the table next to the menorah.

Happy Holidays, my friends. I'm sure you're wondering why you're here. The simple answer? You had nowhere else to be. Maybe it's because you don't have family or friends or maybe it's because you don't celebrate Hanukkah. Your loss, if it's the latter. Well, the former, too, but you're forgiven.

Anyways. I ramble. You want out? It's easy. Get the rest of the candles - that's right, all eight. I've made some special challenges for you to complete together, like one big family. Then, light the candles In the proper order. With the shamash. That'd be the middle one. If you fudge it up and do it improperly you have to put them all out and do it all again, because it won't work. To reset the menorah you just have to take all the candles out and put out all the flames and start again. I do hope there's someone among you who can tell you how to do it properly. If not, good luck! There's no service out here so don't even think about Google. That's cheating.

Where is "here," you ask? A form of the Dreamscape. Some of you have been here before but none of you knew what it was. Who am I? I'm...well, someone pulling a little prank, that's who.

Have fun, dearies. I'll see you when this is all over.

Happy Chanukkah!

Sincerely,
Mistress Shadow

Spoiler! :
To get each candle, the characters must navigate their way through various challenges. The key is that they must do it together - splitting up, PvP, or other forms of character conflict will stall progress and they'll loop until it's resolved. Please enclose an enspoilered character description in your first post.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:39 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Spoiler! :
Tourmaline: A woman a little over 5' 5", with long, red hair and crimson eyes with vertical to match. She wears a scarlet dress that's somewhat singed and under it has maroon pants and brown leather boots. Her teeth are pointed and it's obvious she's not human. To anyone with an advanced sense of smell, she smells of ash, smoke, and smells like a reptile.
Diamond: A woman with pale blue eyes and white hair that's half-shaved and kept in a floppy mohawk. She's got unnaturally pointed canines but looks human otherwise. She's wearing a t-shirt that's navy blue with a reindeer made out of white rhinestones on it, jeans, and black boots.

Diamond tapped out her cigarette as she walked down the streets of Las Vegas, humming to herself. So far it'd been a pretty d*** fine day - there were no vampires to save, no contracts to hunt down, and so she'd really just been able to sit back for once and watch TV and clean her guns.

It, of course, changed drastically the moment she blinked and opened her eyes to find herself standing in front of a menorah containing only a single candle, across the table from a black-haired woman who was definitely not human.

Well, der'mo. So much for a normal day.

he/him/his

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:19 am
View Likes
Saruka says...

Spoiler! :
Amelia Nelson is a 20 year old college student at Stanford University. She has long dark brown hair, and is unusually tall for a woman, about 5'8". She wears a yellow sweater and black jeans, and her hair is pulled back in a black scrunchie. She's not afraid to speak her mind, but only if it's helpful to the situation at hand. She has low patience sometimes but performs well under stress.

It's approximately fifteen minutes until Amelia's Psychology course in the building across campus when she stands up from her seat in the student lounge to close her computer and head to the printer to pick up her paper when it occurs. She blinks a few times, taking in her new surroundings and glancing around, confused at the people who seem to have appeared before her.
a lesbian disaster

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:17 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Meet Soul Error Arwitch, who hasn't seen the light of day in the RP Realm for a very long time. Right now, the only notable features about him are his all black knight armor that completely covers his body, his somewhat tall height and his bright blue eyes. Some have commented before that his eyes look almost unnatural, more akin to a doll's than a human's. But none have ever been brave enough to say this to Soul's face.

My second character is Zogin Arwitch. She's on the shorter side and appears to be somewhere in her late teens. She has her dark brown hair cut short in a pixie cut. Her outfit consists of a plain black tank top, the fantasy equivalent of cargo pants, boots, and a pair of goggles nestled in her hair. A holster is attached to the utility belt at her side, and she has many streaks of grease and oil all her skin and her clothing.

Due to Soul sounding like he's an adult, and Zogin only being in her teens, most assume that Soul is her older brother or cousin.

When he opened his eyes, he found himself standing near a table in an unfamiliar room. He looked wildly around for his most recent captor; the layout of this room looked nothing like the place he had been kept in last, but without Zogin having arrived, how could he have possibly gotten out? They must have brought him here, but he couldn't figure out why or why they had left him standing-

He felt a gun pressed up against the back of his helmet. "I want you to tell me who you are and why you brought me here," a very familiar voice said. He went to turn his head to get a good look at its owner, but the gun pressed up against his helmet even more than before.

"Zogin," he carefully said, deciding it was best to keep his gaze right ahead of him instead of trying to look back at his partner, "it's me. I don't know what's going, too."

She removed the gun, and he turned to face her. She was putting it in her holster now, and, if it wasn't for the other people present, she looked like she was considering hugging him - it had been nearly a week since they had last been together.

"You never turned your safety off," he commented. "You wouldn't have shot me, would you?"

She just gave him a look.

"Zogin-"

She dismissed his question with a wave of her hand, and he immediately fell silent. She gestured at the other people present in the room with a nod of her head, and he tried his best to figure out if they were friendly or not based on their appearances. Admittedly, he wasn't making much progress, so he decided to just be wary about them all instead.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:20 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Diamond looked around at the group with a raised eyebrow. "Oh, goodness. This again."

Tourmaline scanned the group for a moment before grabbing the letter and reading it through, the look on her face most easily described as the look of a cat when it's been unfairly dislodged from its seat.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Once Zogin realized that a letter was present in the room, she marched over to where the woman was standing. Something about her didn't feel right to Soul, but he didn't really think much of it - he was too busy fretting over the fact that Zogin had just jerked the letter out of her hands and was in the middle of reading it over.

"Soul," she asked, shoving the letter back into the woman's hands and returning to his side, "have you ever heard of Hanukkah?"

He shook his armored head. "No? What's Hanukkah-"

"I wasn't asking a rhetorical question," Zogin said, glancing back in the direction of the woman, the letter and the candle. "The letter keeps mentioning us being here because of something called Hanukkah, and I don't even know what that is."

"Oh."
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:47 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Diamond hopped over the table to come read the letter herself to see what they were all discussing.

Oh good lord. They weren't kidding about Hanukkah.

"It's a Jewish holiday," she explained. "It celebrates the miracle of how one night's worth of oil burned for eight days in the temple after a war. You light one candle each night and say a prayer, and you light the eight candles with the shamash, the one in the middle there. Like this 'Mistress Shadow' said."

he/him/his

57 Reviews

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:07 pm
View Likes
Saruka says...

"Wait, sorry, what does Hanukkah have to do with any of this?" Amelia asked, standing up and heading to take her own look at the letter.
a lesbian disaster

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:41 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Zogin crossed her arms and frowned.

"Never heard of it," she declared. She never had liked holidays - they always had something to do with the angels, and seeing them get idolized day after day was infuriating.

Soul looked over at Zogin and the brooding expression on her face, then went over to where the other people were standing. He read over the letter once himself, then looked back up at the woman who had done the explaining. "What's Jew-ish?" he questioned, tilting his head ever so slightly to the side.
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:41 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Diamond blinked. Well, this would take some explaining. "Something that's Jewish comes from the religion Judaism," she said. "Jews believe in the old testament of the Bible - that they call the Torah - and that the messiah hasn't come yet, basically."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"Still never heard of it," Zogin said, frown deepening.

Soul let out a quiet sigh in response; it was from a combination of wishing Zogin wouldn't do things that might offend other people and his frustration with not knowing what the woman was talking about. "What exactly is the Torah?" he hesitantly asked. After a moment passed, he snuck a glance over in Zogin's direction, but she had no answers. He resigned himself to waiting for the woman to reply instead. "And there's a messiah that's supposed to be coming?"
mage

queer and here.

57 Reviews

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:55 am
View Likes
Saruka says...

"The religious text of their faith. If I'm correct, it tells the story of the creation of the earth by God, his prophet Moses who relayed the Ten Commandments, the law of holiness, and so on." Amelia explained, almost as if she had memorized it, while simultaneously continuing to study the note. Amelia hadn't even registered that she wasn't the one being spoken to.
a lesbian disaster

117 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:04 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"What she said," Diamond affirmed Amelia's words.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"I still have never heard of it," Zogin said, impatiently tapping her foot on the ground. It didn't make any sense; how could there be a religion that she hadn't heard about? Better yet, why was there a religion she hadn't heard about? The masses loved angels, and the people here didn't look particularly demonic.

"Zogin?" Soul quietly asked.

She whipped her head around and stared at him. "Yes?"

"Maybe we're not on Arium anymore," he said.

"Of course we are," Zogin scoffed. "There's nothing left but Arium, remember? We're either on Arium or we're dead, and I don't like the second option as much as I like the first."

Soul crossed his arms, so she took it as a sign of a growing argument and marched over to right in front of him. She looked right up at him. "You know that this can't be something from Arium," he argued. "And you know that magic has to be at fault, or else I would still be sitting in a cell and you'd still be looking for me!"
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:18 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Tourmaline broke out laughing as Zogin insisted they were on this "Arium."

"Darling," she said. "We aren't on Arium anymore. We aren't on that demon's 'Earth,' either, nor are we on Ethnu where I hail from. We're Between. Between realities, worlds, universes, outside of their flows of time and their parallels and paradoxes."

he/him/his

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss