z

Young Writers Society

The Only Fear is Fear Itself

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:45 am
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

"I guess he can't hear us- or see us." Reida murmured. She glanced over at Vesper, who was still casually fondling his hilt, and promptly smacked his arm. "Will you stop that!? Geez!"

A moment later, they seemed to somehow teleport inside a scraggly house, which caused her to go pale once more.

"Q- Reida, calm down." Vesper whispered quietly from next to her, catching her unease. "I know this is hard to get used to. The sooner you accept that it's a magical memory-viewing of some sort, the easier it will be to accept."

He swallowed an elaboration of this, keeping himself from snidely remarking that perhaps if she could wrap her head around this, he could start explaining what was happening to her memories.
"what dose the raccoon look like?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:50 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Nendros, who had frozen up the moment that the man had appeared from within the house, looked around wildly when they were suddenly brought into the building with him. He hesitantly tried heading over to the door in an effort to return to the safety of the lonely outside, but found himself once again in the room after the door shut behind him.

Still incredibly stiff, despite miraculously not having been noticed yet, Nendros waited for something horrible to happen. The man didn't seem like a good person - he was too much like Drenar. He hesitantly slid over to where the fire was. Though he had no need for the extra warmth thanks to his current biology and the warm clothing he had somehow changed into, it was a comforting sight. The ramshackle building almost reminded him of Az's house, even though it was in far worse shape than he remembered her home being.

And then he saw a little girl.

His breath caught in his throat. She looked nothing like Az had, but remembering her house made him think of her. He grew less stiff, and he instinctively started heading over to where she was. He stood there for a moment, not quite sure what he wanted to say or do, and then quietly went, "Hi," with a wave of one clawed hand.

And then he immediately regretted it, because he knew that little kids like her were bound to scream if they saw someone like him.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:56 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

She looked up at him and her eyes widened with surprise as she realized a stranger was in the house. She let out a yelp of surprise and ran to Kratzer, who scooped her up. "It's alright, Ada, he's a friend," he said. "We've got chicken tonight."

Her face lit up. "Chicken and a new friend?" she clapped her hands. "You're the best, En-en!" she exclaimed and gave him a hug.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:01 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo had to admit it was jarring when the door slammed in their faces but they ended up in the building only moments later. He looked around for the father with a worried glance before he finally let himself settle, seeing that it was just Kratzer and who he guessed was his little sister.

He overheard Reida and Vesper murmuring to each other about it being some kind of magical memory-viewing, and he had to say that that was a pretty accurate description. He looked over to them to give a small nod of acknowledgment before he walked up to join Nex.

"Actually, make that two new friends," he said with a warm smile, waving down to Ada. "You can call me Bo," he said, deciding that, if the magic memory thing was going to drag him places with Kratzer, it'd be easiest to keep it simple. "It's nice to meet you Ada."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:08 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

She looked up at him and smiled over her brother's shoulders, eyes wide. "Whoa! You're super big, and he's really fancy! Where'd they come from?" she asked 'En-en.'

"Nex and Bo come from Moscow," he explained. "They're just passing through on their way to France and took a wrong turn, so they wound up here instead of Berlin."

"Whoa! That's so cool!" she exclaimed enthusiastically. "Do they get chicken too?"

"Well, we'll see," he said, putting Ada down. "Why don't you go see Gunther? Papa is coming in and he's not very happy."

She nodded. "Can the fancy man come too so I'm not lonely?" she asked, and Kratzer looked to Nex.

he/him/his

9 Reviews

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:12 am
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Reida swallowed hard and stared at Vesper. She didn't want to hop on board with his magical theories, but at the same time, she knew that she could never come up with an explanation tah that would make her feel any better.

"I'll think about it." She simply said. "This is harder for me than it is for you- I mean, you're either crazy or magical yourself. I haven't decided yet."

Vesper opened his mouth to refute both of those claims, but Reida turned and walked off before he had a chance. He let out an exasperated breath and tugged at his hair, the bags under his eyes more prominent than ever.

Reida had noticed the dragon man melting over the young girl, and had walked over next to him on instinct. If she couldn't be seen, she figured, the lest she could do is make amends with the people stuck in this nightmare with her.

"Hey..." she started quietly. "Sorry for, uh, y'know... screaming. I didn't get a chance to catch your name. Mine's Reida." She offered a strained smile and held out a hand.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:17 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The little girl should have been terrified of him, but she was asking him, someone who looked like one of the monsters that could be found in a fairy tale, could go with her? He stared at her with wide golden eyes, trying his hardest to bite back the tears beginning to form. It had been one thing to hear it from two adults, but a child shouldn’t have ever been so accepting.

"If Kratzer's alright with it, I'll go with you," he said, giving her a smile that didn’t show off his sharp teeth. He held out a scaly hand. "I'm Nex," he said. He didn't need to be a king for her.

It was only after he had come to this decision that the older girl's comment registered. "I'm...Nex," he said, once again deciding that there wasn't a need to be the king of the Castle of Blood with her. "It's okay that you screamed. I think most people would."
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:20 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Yay!" Ada said, smiling up at him. "I haven't had a friend since Felda died!" She took his hand, then looked to where he was talking. "Who are you talking to? Oh, do you have an imaginary friend too? I-"

"Ada. Go in the back," Kratzer insisted, ushering her towards the door. "Go on, before Papa returns." As he spoke, he cast a grateful glance to Nex for staying with her.

he/him/his

9 Reviews

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:34 am
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Reida nodded slowly and watched this play out. She smiled and waved to Ada, even though she knew she wasn't visible. With a moment of hesitation, she decided to go back and stand next to Vesper, who was leaning against a wall.

"Before..." she cleared her throat and took in his furs, disregarding a premonition that her clothes had changed, too. "What you were wearing before, and you sword... was that a uniform of some sort?"

"Mmm." Vesper nodded and peered at her, debating how much to say. "It wasn't a complete one, of course, but yes. I was wearing a royal guard uniform."

After a few beats of silent staring, he tilted his head. "Let me ask you a question. How open-minded are you feeling?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:54 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Nendros looked between Ada and Reida, his brow furrowing in confusion when he realized Ada couldn't see the woman standing beside him. A chill ran up his scaly spine - what if she was a ghost? Same thing with Vesper? It would explain why the girl couldn't see her. He stared with horror in his eyes at her for a good minute before he realized that he had been invisible to the other people present right up until the moment that he had spoken to Ada. He stared down at the hand that wasn't holding Ada's.

Was he a ghost, then?

No. That would be stupid. He would have remembered dying, and ghosts didn't suddenly end up in clothes that were in a weird, unfamiliar style. He was alive. Reida was alive. Vesper was alive. It was just some weird magic thing at play here, even though he couldn't figure out what exactly the magic was accomplishing.

If only Aska was here, he miserably thought.

He turned his attention back to Ada and gave her another toothless smile. "We should probably do what Kratzer says," he said, gesturing at the door with his free hand.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:05 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo watched as Nex went off with Ada before he turned his attention back to Kratzer. In a hushed voice, he asked: "This is a memory of yours, isn't it? Is it a bad one?"

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:12 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Ja," he said softly. "It is. My, uh..." he looked towards the door Ada and Nex had gone through. "Tonight my brother dies."

Ada took Nex's hand and led him through the door, raising a hand to her lips to tell him to be quiet. It was, evidently, the sleeping room of the house. A few straw mattresses sat on the ground. On one of them was a dark-haired figure who was similar in build to Kratzer. His breath was rattling and he didn't look like he was going to live for very long by any standards - he looked like a walking skeleton.

Ada quietly closed the door behind them and sat down in the corner.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:41 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo's heart sank, and he put a hand on Kratzer's shoulder.

"Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry, Kratzer," he said softly. "Is it... do you think it's like, the memory just plays out without you being able to control things? I can't imagine how jarring this must be. To be forced to relive it... I'm so sorry."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:45 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"We have to have some influence," he answered, the lack of emotion in his voice making it evident that he was either being bombarded with too much to process or that it was too much for him to allow himself to feel. "Because when this happened, my father didn't go outside. He just called me once, and I came inside. So I should be able to avoid, uh...some of the things that...actually happened. Just not...that, I don't think, because...By now I doubt he'd even live with modern medicine."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:22 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

His heart skipped a beat when he saw the body underneath the covers.

He had spent years pouring over books on medicine from around the world, and each had always contained pictures of what certain ailments and injuries would look like as reference. And he had dealt with some of the things he saw, too - there had been Az's numerous bruises and cuts, the nasty deep gash he had gotten on the night Tieth had come, and the one time that Az had dislocated her shoulder when playing a bit too roughly.

But none of them had ever prepared him for something like this.

Cuts were easy to deal with. Bruises, too. But this? This was entirely different. He couldn't put antiseptic on with a nice little bandage on top; this man needed far more than that. He needed things that Nendros suspected couldn't be given in a rundown place like this - things that he would have had on him if he was at the Castle of Blood, and, if it he had been back in his old home, there would have been actual doctors.

Not just a useless prince who read medical textbooks in his free time.

Nendros hesitantly approached the sleeping figure; if he suddenly died, would he even notice the difference? "He's sick, isn't he?" Nendros quietly asked, looking down at Gunther as his tail slowly went from one side to the other behind him.
mage

queer and here.

"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood."
— George Orwell, 1984