z

Young Writers Society

The Masquerade

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:21 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

Damascus smiled warmly, and although he noted James' lack of enthusiasm at being interrogated, he was glad that he seemed comfortable enough to let that be apparent.

"That's truly wonderful, James." he gave a pleased sigh. "I doubt you've had any sort of lack of hearing it, but I'm very happy for you. And you, too, Miss Tasha. I'm happy for the both of you." he beamed.

"And it's a blessing that there is enough luck and chance in this world- or should I say, worlds?- for you both to meet again and again."
"what dose the raccoon look like?"

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James smiled politely and nodded. "Yes. We're very fortunate."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:15 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I nodded in turn. "Time, though it can be a cruel master, blesses in equal measure, if not more, when it comes to love.

Ah, if only Edward and Schadel were here, you would have had two more blessings. Oh, I cannot wait to tell them! Unless you wish to tell them. Whoever runs into them first.

But the Grangor, eh? That sounds spectacular. There really is nothing for camaraderie like slaying a great beast together. At least, I imagine so. I've never tried taking a lady on such a trip, but it is an intriguing hypothesis."

I said, praising his cleverness as though the circumstances of their meeting were something he had ingeniously devised, and not a grueling fight for survival that was not remotely within his control. I was sure he would appreciate the humour.

It wasn't a question about marriage, or children, so obviously it was squarely above the belt.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:16 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James stared at Boris, his expression gradually growing more and more unimpressed. He slow-blinked.

"I almost lost my life to the beast the first time I faced it alone. I owe Tasha my life for helping me escape."

59 Reviews

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:40 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I nodded at James, understandingly, then turned the praise on to Tasha.

"Now that is how you woo a man. 'Twas a feat not easily outdone, and certainly not easily forgotten. Tasha, my dear, I admire your style.

Don't sell the publishing rights to just anyone, alright?"

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:52 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James reached out a hand and grabbed Boris's shoulder. His expression was neutral and placid, but his grip was firm. Just enough to tell Boris that he was being very annoying.

"You know what? I actually have more than one person in my life who I've met in my inter-dimensional travels that is very important to me. I'm sure you've seen Maahes in passing, but I don't think you've been formally introduced. Surely, that must be remedied."

He looked across the room, and spotted Maahes among the crowd with Vala. He wasn't close, but he was within yelling distance. Oh well. He'd just have to yell.

"Maahes!" he shouted across the room. He met Maahes's eyes with a tense, conjured smile. "Get over here! I want you to meet some friends!" His eyes shot back to Boris. Though his smile should've looked genuine, it did not match his eyes, which intensely bored into Boris's skull.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:21 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes had been caught up in his dancing with Vala when James shouted his name; it was Vala who actually took note of it, and Vala who first stopped dancing. Maahes quickly followed suit, unsure why she would stop without warning. Had he done something wrong? He had thought his dancing was pretty okay, despite not having done something like this in a very, very long time.

But then Vala tugged on his sleeve and pointed in James's direction. "James is calling you over," she said. "I think someone's annoying him and he wants backup, if that look he's giving that guy right there is anything to go off of."

Maahes looked between the two in question, then started to walk over with Vala at his side. They weren't touching, but they were so close together that they could have been; Vala's fingers even briefly brushed up against his own. They came to a stop once they arrived at the group.

xXx

"Well," Rendra said, giving a little stretch, "I think it's almost time for the next puzzle."

Kartiel studied the groups in the room. Some of the participants were still dancing - Lorcan and Second seemed to be having a lot of fun with it, from what he could make out. Some, like Asteri and Mira, had found places to rest after long, excited bouts of dancing; those two in particular had found a few chairs. And then others were congregating into one large group, with more joining their number every few minutes.

His eyes lingered on some of them; he needed to pay attention to Boris in particular, in case he suddenly regained his memory of what happened during the Atlantis incident.

"I think we might need to rearrange some of the groups we had planned, in light of some new...connections among the gues-"

"Yeah, I was thinking the same thing," Rendra cheerfully replied. "I'm thinking that we should throw James and Tasha together, at least, and definitely Damascus and Boris."

He turned and stared at her. "What? No. I was thinking Boris and James, since they seem to be getting on each other's nerves."

"But don't you want to see them, you know..." She made the shape of a heart with her fingers; Kartiel could barely hold back a sigh.

As it was, he massaged his temples and knew he looked very unimpressed. "I thought the goal was for them to not get along," he said. "James and Tasha need to be broken up - they work too well together. Damascus and Boris are too close as well."

"I don't know," Rendra hesitantly said. "Haven't you noticed how awkward Damascus and Boris have been around each other? I can see your point about James and Tasha - we'll have to make sure they don't stay together, as well as Second and Lorcan, and Maahes and Vala. But Damascus and Boris keep avoiding the topic of the dance, and the topic of each other, even, so I think they'd be a mess if we threw them into the next puzzle."

Kartiel mulled it over.

"...You have a point," he admitted. "But it would only work if they were alone."

Rendra grinned.

"I was planning on it," she said.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:11 pm
View Likes
ChristenedPages says...

"Oh, yes." Damascus said lightly, smiling in an effort to further diffuse the tension that had developed from Boris' banter. As if to counter James' obvious annoyance, he placed his hand awkwardly on his brother's shoulder.

"Maahes seemed wonderful- I met him earlier." he mumbled to Boris, his tone friendly, but warning.
"what dose the raccoon look like?"

59 Reviews

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:53 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I met James' piercing eyes with frozen docility, and took a whole second to stiffly nod in response.

The experience of being warned by an irritated brother was one that I had forgotten entirely, and my time with my oath brothers had been too sporadic to properly call it back. I had been caught off guard, and thus I was completely unprepared to respond to his move. And on top of that, he had called for reinforcements. I was done for.

Thus stood I, defeated, in the stiff circle of impromptu shoulder touches, awaiting the arrival of Maahes.

Would he diffuse this circle of tension, or further strengthen it?

It was all in his hands now.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:40 pm
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

Raiden popped up from behind Boris.
"I may or may not have missed everything, but i have a baguette."
He then offered Boris a baguette.
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:36 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

"Oh wow!" Taber said, happy to have finally found an opportunity to get back into the conversation. He looked over Boris's shoulder. "I like bread!"
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:14 pm
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

Raiden handed Taber a whole baguette silently.
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

59 Reviews

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:00 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I failed to suppress a small shudder, at the appearance of Raiden. Normally I would be above such a reaction, but he had caught me in a pre-established moment of tension.

Then Taber came to join us, and though his presence was not unwelcome, I found his manner of entrance also mildly startling.

"When did-? Not you, too." I said, bemoaning their mutual proficiency in suddenness.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

"Wow!" Taber said, holding the baguette in his hands. It made him feel strangely powerful. "Thanks!"

Then he noticed Boris's comment. "Oh?" he said, tapping the baguette on Boris's shoulder. "Did I do something wrong? Sorry!"
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

59 Reviews

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:52 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I gave Taber a lighthearted, assuring smile.

"Oh, no, no. It's fine. I'm merely, not my usual unflappable self at the moment. You are a very stealthy gentleman, you know that? That is nothing to be ashamed of, now. It can come in very useful, for a variety of non-larcenous purposes."

You know what the big problem is in telling fantasy and reality apart? They're both ridiculous.
— The 12th Doctor