soundofmind says...

Bo nodded. "2018 sounds right for me."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:56 am
View Likes
ellasnotebook says...

Lola took a step back from the shimmering lights of the city, using her arm to shield her eyes from the sun.

"Where are we?" Lola muttered, gazing at the metal city. A part of her wanted to run back into the dim hallway, but a bigger part of her wanted to explore the city. She grew excited at the prospect of walking through the glittering buildings when, suddenly, she grew uneasy. She strained her ears for a moment, but could hear nothing. The city was quiet. She turned to Aegeas and Oliver with a worried look on her face.

"Guys? Well, this is a city, right? City's are really really busy. I used to live in one. There was construction and loud noises, like, all the time. And well..." she stopped for a second, and looked out on the disturbingly silent city, "No one is here. I can't hear anything."

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:46 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

She was right. Aegeas guessed his hearing was much better than the others, but even he couldn't hear the slightest footstep or word coming from the city. Suddenly, visiting the city became a much less inviting idea. He couldn't stand unfamiliar places, much less abandoned ones. And what were the odds that the place wasn't abandoned after all? He was afraid to know what could be lurking among the pristine buildings.

While Oliver was frantically waving his phone (or whatever it was called) around, Aegeas walked towards the edge of the space they were in. Grabbing onto the railing, he leaned over and peered down into the ocean below. It was far enough down that he could only see it as a blurry blue blob. He was tempted to dive down - the sea was the only thing familiar here, and he wanted to be close to it. Yet, he hesitated. This sea could be different than the ones he was familiar with, and he wasn't quite sure if he'd survive the jump. He decided to keep it in mind for the future.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:14 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I fell out of tune with the chatter of my companions, distracted by the high, tall, multitudinous empty windows. I watched intently, waiting for figures or shadows or anything moving to cross my vision, but even as I strained, I saw nothing.

I turned to survey the buildings on the right side of the street, and sharply turned back. Sunlight on the metal shined too brightly for my eyes to bear.
I decided that if there was nothing living on left side, there was likely nothing to see on the right.

It was unnatural. It was unnerving. But there was nothing for it but to move on, and search further. Standing in wait for an answer to come to us simply would not do.

'My vision is poor out here in the sun, but even so, I find it strange that I see no birds, nor rats. Surely even an alien city would have some equivalent, but aside from us, I have seen nothing living. Has anyone else seen anything?'
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:11 pm
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

"Come to think of it...no, I haven't seen anything other than us," Raiden replied, looking out the right side that Boris shyed away from.
Nothing.
Just more metal buildings and weird stuff he couldn't identify.
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:58 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"Where's the signal?" Oliver muttered, though he was growing increasingly more and more certain that he was no longer on Earth. He spent a good minute waving his phone about in all directions in an attempt to pick one up. When that failed, he resigned himself to his fate of having to search for her.

He looked over at the other two. "I'm not sure where we are," he suddenly said, "but my friend should be here, too. We were together before ending up here - wherever here is. I need to find her. I'm going to look through this place. You can come with me if you want to, or you can do things on your own. I don't mind either way."

And then he was off, back down the corridor.

~v~

Lucy crossed her arms and gave the hallway they were walking down an intrigued look. Though she didn't want to admit it, she was in love. This place was strange and possibly dangerous, but it was absolutely beautiful. She wished she could find some sort of technology. She needed a control panel or a computer - assuming whoever had built this place actually had one.

"Let's assume that we've been brought to an abandoned world with an abandoned city in it," Lucy said, making sure her voice was loud enough to be heard by the group she was with. "We can't rely on people to figure this out. We need technology. And if a group of people could build a city like this, I'm guessing they have advanced technology with records of what this place is. We should try to find where those records are."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:24 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo had been following them, but as Lucy began to talk, he found his mind in a different place. He knew they were by water - but if they didn't see birds, or any sort of life... could that mean they weren't even by land?

His heart began to race. No, no, it can't be. There had to be a logical explanation. They probably just hadn't seen any seagulls or whatever yet.

But panic began to take hold, and in a rush of movement, he broke away from the group, running down the hall from whence he'd came. He had to see it again. He had to be sure.

As he burst back out onto the balcony, high up above all of the other buildings and the docks down below, he craned his head around to see where the end to this place was and where the start of it connecting to land began. But as he leaned out over the balcony, and looked around the building...

it was all water.

Everything. They were surrounded. By water. They were in the middle of the ocean somewhere.

Bo recoiled from the balcony railing. He was starting to feel sick.

299 Reviews

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:41 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Aegeas looked away from the sea just in time to see Oliver vanish down the corridor. "Good riddance," Aegeas whispered. Stepping back from the railing, he thought about his options. He could either stay or follow Oliver. Naturally, he favored the latter choice. Staying would mean being closer to the sea and farther away from Oliver. On the other hand, the city was a disturbing eyesore, and the thought of the group separating made him uncomfortable. Lola was the only other person left, and she could just as easily decide to go with Oliver. He didn't want to be alone.

Perhaps this was a setup for a trap, and Oliver's "friend" would turn out to be an assassin or a fighter. Yet, Aegeas had spent almost a year in a war. He'd fought ferociously and defeated enemies he'd never thought he would. Why should this be any different?

So, he went back into the corridor.

8 Reviews

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:54 pm
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

"Interesting...it's weird there's-Bo where are you going?" Raiden had been listening to Lucy, and was giving a reply when Bo ran off. Raiden, being the curiois fella he was, followed him. Bo didn't look calm. That worried him. Bo looked way bigger than Raiden, and the boy felt like Bo was older -- which meant more maturity or something -- so seeing someone like that run off the way he did...it didn't sit well with him. Raiden followed Bo to the balcony. Raiden stepped past the recoiling Bo, and looked at what Bo was trying to see.
His eyes widened as he took in the sight of the sea stretching on and on. There was no land. Not nearby, anyway. Raiden took a few breaths to calm down, and he turned back to Bo.
"You alright there, bud?"
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:19 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

She chased after the two men, leaving Boris behind as she rushed to bridge the distance that had grown between them. It was only when she found herself standing above a great sea that she understood why Bo had been so panicked.

The world swayed around her as she stumbled back from the railing. She could almost taste the salty sea breeze on her tongue - how had she missed something so noticeable? Had she been so focused on finding Oliver that she had forgotten to pay attention to the world around her?

She could imagine the water surging up in a tidal wave, enveloping the tower they were standing in - could imagine it seeping into every little nook and cranny, cracks that she didn't know existed being overrun by the harsh current, and all functions being lost as she was overcome by the fierce waves. A horrible, strangled cry left her as she returned to the safety of the corridor they had just left. She wanted to weep tears that refused to fall, and wanted to run into Oliver's warm, safe arms.

~v~

He could hear someone following him; a quick glance over his shoulder proved that it was Aegeas. He briefly wondered if Lola would follow in their footsteps. He doubted it, but continued on regardless. He needed to find Lucy. They had to be together right now - she needed the comfort of his presence, and he needed the reassurance that things would be alright. She would be able to figure things out. She was smart like that.
mage

queer and here.

8 Reviews

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:50 pm
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

Raiden let out a noise of confusion as Lucy joined them then left rhem with a strangled cry. He didn't know what to do; he wasn't quite sure what it was that elicted their reactions but it didn't seem good.
"Hey, hey, you guys need to just...calm down, everything will be okay," he said, moving to place a hand on Lucy's shoulder. He wasn't sure if she'd freak at the physical contact, but it was the only thing he could think of to calm her down.
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:54 pm
View Likes
ellasnotebook says...

Lola felt panic take hold of her as she saw her two "companions" (or whatever they were to her-she'd never been the best at determining relationships, and this one seemed tense at best) turn to go back down the corridor. She hesitated for a moment. On one hand, she didn't know if she trusted them. She hated to be hasty-she thought they were both nice people, but she didn't know them know them. She held back for only a few seconds before the fear of being alone outweighed the fear of people she didn't know.

She jogged down the corridor to catch up with them.

"Hey!" she said, slightly out of breath but successfully caught up with the odd pair, "Who are we looking for again?"

299 Reviews

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:49 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Aegeas was surprised that she hadn't joined them sooner. He'd assumed the other two were familiar with each other, if only because they looked and acted similarly. Now he guessed that wasn't likely the case.

"His friend," he said while pointing to Oliver, who walked ahead. Well, more of a run than a walk.

And then, a shrill noise came from the distance to the edge of Aegeas's hearing. It cut through the silence like a knife, causing him to flinch. He covered an ear with a hand and winced. "What was that?" he said.

Lola gave him an odd glance; Oliver never looked back. Perhaps they hadn't heard?

"It sounded like - screaming?"

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:21 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo struggled to compose himself. He stood with his back pressed against the wall as he looked out at the expanse of ocean before them, and closed his eyes.

"I'm... I'm sorry. That was... not helpful. Me running like that. I just-" he felt dizzy. And nauseas. And though he tried to hold himself together, he was sure it was quite obvious.

"I have a very strong fear of all things ocean and deep water and I'm just, trying not to freak out too bad. Again. Really sorry, 'cause I know-" he he took in a few quick breaths. "I know this doesn't help any of you n-not freak out too." He slid down to the ground, sitting. "I just need a moment."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:57 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The touch of Raiden's hand was warm and welcome; she didn't flinch when they came in contact. It was the little interaction she needed to break out of her frightening thoughts. She was still terrified, but the reassurance that she wasn't alone quelled some of her more immediate fears.

She looked over at Bo. "I'm also scared of the ocean," she quietly said, her gaze dropping to the ground. "And water in general. Something-something bad happened to me when I was little, and I'm only here right now because my best friend saved me..."

~v~

He had heard it to, a brief, high pitched noise that he couldn't quite place. But he had thought little of it until Aegeas had pointed it out; it was so insignificant to his limited hearing that he thought he had imagined the sound. He slowly raised a hand to his own ear. His hearing wasn't as good as it usually was right now, but it was likely more advanced than Lola's was.

He tried thinking back to the sound. And then his eyes widened with horror, because he recognized that cry - at least, he thought he did. Lucy hadn't made a noise like that in her current body before, but it matched her vocal range and sounded as if it could have been a teenage girl.

Oliver came to an abrupt stop.

He spun around to face the other two. "I heard that, too," he hurriedly said, looking wildly about in an effort to determine where it had come from. "I think it might have been my friend. She rarely screams and I think she might be in a lot of trouble and I really need to figure out where she is now. Do you-do you remember what direction you heard that scream coming from?"
mage

queer and here.

Besides, if you want perfection, write a haiku. Anything longer is bound to have some passages that don't work as well as they might.
— Philip Pullman