Young Writers Society

The Styx Experience

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:57 pm
View Likes
Danni88 says...

Maia sees the figure too.
Mmm, teatime. I fancy reviews and chips.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Queen Danni of Awesomeland x

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Leaning against a tree while the others grew nearer to the lost-man-in-trenchoat-supreme (who had an attractive gleam to his visage, Valon had to admit) Valon gazed into the dark waters below his boots and caught the image of a rotting pomegranate, its seeds freed and floating to the surface.

There is no doubt in my mind, Valon to himself asserted, this is a place of death.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:45 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Apparently I wasn't subscribed to this, so I kept waiting for people to post. Whoops! Now I'm subscribed, though, so I should get notifications.

It was difficult maintaining his guise. His essence stubbornly wanted to take on his form on the seventh plane, which would not be a good thing if he ran into other people. That situation had only happened once before. The memory was strangely hard to recall. He knew that it happened during his time under Ra, but he couldn't remember the exact details. It had caused a turning point in his life. He was sure that there had been screaming and weapons raised, but he couldn't remember that part actually happening.

He glanced down at his now bandaged wound.

It must be the essence I've lost, he guessed. His gait was starting to become more steady. He had been taking it slowly since he arose, but now he began to move with a little more speed. He peered at the horizon. When he looked closely, he could make out a group of people. He quickened his gait even more. As he came closer and closer, he kept pushing himself a little more. He needed to find out what was going on.

When he was only feet away, he raised his hand in greeting. "Hello-"

He was trying to concentrate on too much. He lost balance, stumbling forward and almost falling into the mud. He managed to regain it, but not before a set of tentacles showed themselves on the first plane - something the people could undoubtedly see. He desperately tried to control his guise again. This was bad enough. Letting them see more would be even worse.

But he knew the damage had already been done.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

104 Reviews

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:58 am
View Likes
Danni88 says...

India gasped as she saw the tentacles. Was this man a monster? She took a small step backwards.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:08 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo watched as the man approached, advancing slowly to meet him. But as soon as the fellow started to speak, something strange happened. Bo blinked a few times. T... tentacles? But as soon as they had appeared, they were gone, as if nothing had happened.

Bo put an arm out in front of India and Maia. "You guys stay back a second, alright? Stay with uh... sword man. I'll go check it out." Dangit, he forgot the guy's name already - if he even mentioned it.

Bo paused for just a moment, before walking up cautiously to the figure. He stopped just a few feet from the fellow, part of him expecting it to be a trap and part of him just wholly unsure. Once he got close, however, he could tell that the guy was wounded. There was a bandage.

Bo tilted his head to the side slightly. "You okay there, mate?"
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
He's not technically bleeding. The stuff that spirits are made up of, essence, isn't like blood - it's a weird gelatinous substance. I think the bandages would just look wet if Bo looked closely? The author of the series he comes from never went into much detail about how it worked or even what it was like.

He managed a stiff nod. He didn't trust himself to speak, though he had a multitude of questions he needed to ask. His side ached. His essence was pressing up against the bandages. Swaying ever so slightly, he glanced over at the man beside him. It didn't make sense. He had just seen his tentacles, so how could he be acting so calmly?

He lost his concentration again. While he didn't stumble like before, the tentacles once again showed themselves. He grit his teeth. Come on! Why did this have to happen to him? He had no idea where he was or why he was so injured, and the only people he had found were complete strangers who now had seen something that even his closest acquaintances were unaware of!

The tentacles moved around behind him. The movement wasn't a frantic sort of wild, but there was still a randomness to it.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Spoiler! :
oop! sorry for assuming! edited~

Bo leaned to the side a bit, looking again at the tentacles."You aren't all human, are ya?" Bo asked, though more as a friendly icebreaker than anything else. He tried to speak gently and calmly, still unsure if the guy was friend or foe. But either way he wanted to start on good terms and not antagonize him. "But I'm not really concerned about that. All I really wanna know if if you're a threat. I've got some other folks with me that are probably thinking the same thing. I just wanna ease their minds, yeah? And for your sake, I'm not threat to you, unless you are to me, understand?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:57 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
It's okay! I didn't do a good job of explaining it.

"You're not scared of me?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper. He wasn't human. He knew he could tell that, so why wasn't he screaming? Why wasn't he pointing a weapon at him? He should have been absolutely terrified of the monstrosity in front of him.

He took a hesitant step forward. "I-I'm not a threat. I'm just can't keep myself together right now..." He looked down. "I didn't want anyone to see me like this.'
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:16 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"I've seen scarier things in my day," Bo said with a small smile, before coming closer. "But if you're wounded like it looks like you are, you shouldn't be alone, never-mind whether or not you want to be or not. How about I bring you back to the others? We're all strangers here, but I'm willing to help a brother out."

He held out his arm as an offer to prop the stranger up and give him something to lean on. "Do you need help walking?" He asked.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:23 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

His mind was still reeling from the words the man had uttered, but he managed a hesitant nod. "I have a cut in my side," he explained. He gave a weak gesture at the gash in question, though the extent of the injury was difficult to see because of the trench coat and bandages. "It doesn't hurt, but it makes it hard to...focus."

He took another step towards the man. He still didn't know his name, but he felt safe when he leaned on him. They started to make their way to the group in the near distance. Concentrating became all the more easier when he had a form of support. He extended his human guise back to the first plane, the tentacles disappearing as suddenly as they had appeared. He would adjust, soon. It was just a matter of time.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:36 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo only nodded as he put an arm around the stranger and walked him over to the others. As he came up to th two girls and the swordsman, he gave a friendly nod.

“He’s no foe of ours. He’s injured too,” he said, with a gesture to his bleeding head. “How do you all fare? Any gaping wounds? Blinding headaches, concussions?”

104 Reviews

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:49 am
View Likes
Danni88 says...

Maia shakes her head. India shrugs. "I cut my arm, but it's not too bad."

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Valon turned his head, scoffing as he crossed one boot over the other. "You may have seen stranger things in your day, Bo, but you must admit to his sheer, pitiful facade." Turning his head back, he took in all the eyes cast on him. "He's concerned more with a laughable glamour than allowing wounds to heal - certainly no worthwhile comrade here."

Valon smirked. "Is that it, spirit-man? So consumed in putting on makeup that you neglect your body?" From mouth to mud, he spat at the man's boots. "A liability."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

104 Reviews

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:44 pm
View Likes
Danni88 says...

Maia's eyes narrow. "Don't be such a jerk."

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 pm
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Spoiler! :
Thinking of joining this because it's already so interesting! I can barely keep my eyes open right now, let alone think. But if you'll accept me I'd love to add a character to this tomorrow. Would this be okay? :3

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia