The Styx Experience

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:19 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
I'd love for you to join this roleplay, @CoffeeCat! It's not mine, but I'm sure that everyone else would feel the same way.

And shoot! Valon's not afraid to share his opinion.

He clenched his fists at his side. Didn't this man get it? His guise was more for their benefit than his own. While there was a certain attachment to his more humanoid guises after having used them for so many years, his usage of it was to spare them the sight of his form on the seventh plane.

He shook the spit off of his already dirtied boot.

"It doesn't work that way," he said. He was trying his best to keep his frustration and anger and hurt out of his voice, but he knew he was failing miserably. "By using this guise, I'm preventing you from seeing what I really look like. It's what my kind is-no, what I'm meant to do. My form here is terrifying. The last time it was even glimpsed, the people who saw screamed in terror and raised their weapons toward me. I don't know who you are, and I don't expect you to possibly understand what my life is like from a single conversation."

He took several steps back. The others weren't responsible for this stranger's actions, but the words stung too much to not take drastic action. "But you know what? That's alright. Because I'm going to leave. I'll figure out what's going on before you do, and then I'll find you and prove you wrong. I'm not a liability, and I'm not pitiful. I've done more things than you'll ever do in your stupid, stupid mortal lifespan."

He looked at the man who had helped him over.

"Thank you for helping me," he said, giving him a little smile. "I really appreciate it."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:35 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Valon raised an eyebrow and rectified his lounging against the tree.

"Ah. Your determination would be your death, immortal or not." He sighed before trudging towards the mimic. "Stay with us. Look to the skies and see where we are. Tell me if you have concluded the same: this is a realm of darkness, and fail we to away from this marsh, something sinister awaits."

He placed a hand on the stranger's shoulder. "I am Valon Balessan, and I will not die here, not like this."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:59 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo watched the drama unfold with a stunned and confused stare.

Bo held up his hands in a gesture that beckoned the stranger not to leave just yet, and he followed behind Valon.

“Look, we all want to get out of here,” he added. “And our chances of surviving this place go up for you if you stay. You won’t be a burden. Stay. I know we’re all strangers here but it would be terrible for you to suffer and die alone in this place.”

He then put a hand on Valon’s shoulder. “But uh, Valon. Do use a bit more tact next time, alright? With strangers we tread on unknown waters, and we never know what subject matter is sensitive to them. But, when making allies it’s better to help others feel safe, you know?”
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He had been too preoccupied with his injury and finding other people to pay too much attention to his surroundings. While he had been certain that he was in the swamp of a relatively normal world, the sight he saw when he looked up quickly proved him otherwise. There were things shooting across the sky above. Things that, though he had never seen them before, he somehow knew were the souls of the deceased.

He glanced down at his wound. It was deep, wasn't it? The Ancients had never told him how badly injured he needed to be before dying, but wasn't it possible that his injury had been too much for his already weakened essence to handle? The world swayed around him once more, though this was most likely due to shock.

"My name is Maahes," he said. He didn't even think of using the alias he associated with this guise; his mind was elsewhere. "Are we-are we dead? I could have been kidnapped, but that wouldn't explain why my kidnapper decided to leave me on a strange planet! There's no ships, and I don't see a Stargate, either..."

No, that couldn't be it. He couldn't be dead, right? He had so much he had to do! He had to complete his charge. Annie and Kartiel deserved justice. If he couldn't be the one to avenge their deaths, who would? He would have cried if he could. He couldn't even do that right, could he?
mage

queer and here.

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:02 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Spoiler! :
*slips in with new character before it's too late*

Nanashi listened to the murmur of voices with dazed objectivity. An overwhelming sorrow had possessed her upon her painful awakening, producing a single, delicate tear that fell--hidden--behind her wooden mask. An unknown sadness; a nameless sadness. A sadness out of context.

She lay on her back in a murky grass bed, staring at the ethereal sea of drifting, translucent forms above. There was no wind here. Nanashi had wandered across many eerie landscapes in her cursed existence--so her surroundings barely astonished her, yet her memory of entering such a place flailed in the dusky labyrinth of her mind. Where had she been before now? Where had she been going? It all merged into one, becoming meaningless before long.

Her ankles chimed with silver bells when she rose from the muck, the sleeves of her kimono stained a dark, muddy grey. She floated seven inches above the marshy terrain, scanning the fog for the voices she hopefully hadn't imagined. Sure enough, a group of indistinguishable figures huddled near the silhouette of a nearby tree, conversing among themselves. The sight struck Nanashi as odd within such a desolate location, yet felt all the more comforting.

A tiny excitement bubbled up inside of her as she floated towards the group: a hidden joy in the gloom.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:48 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Valon parted his thin lips to bark questions at Maahes, but just as the first syllable of ghost man, your words are indiscriminately as alien as you are, and I demand an explanation, he gleaned the figure approaching through the remnant fog. He had a different feeling about this one--floating above the marsh with no detectable spell at hand. He drew his sword.

"Geist, I demand you hold your position! Are you the eidolon which cursed us all to this place?"

The temperature rose around him, a visible aura of flames rousing from his skin and dissipating the encroaching fog. At least my stamina returns, he demanded in his head.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:27 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
I live for Valon's reactions.

His guess may have been correct, but Maahes found it difficult to come to such a quick conclusion. He was still under the belief that they had somehow had all died. A curse didn't make much sense to him. If he was the giver of the curse, he would have been there when they had awoken to admire the fruits of his labor. It also didn't explain why they were there in the first place. Who would want to curse him?

No, this woman was probably like them - lost, confused and a little bit scared. The last thing they needed was to scare her off. He couldn't be so quick to judge. He was far from human himself; the woman, though she was floating above the ground, was more humanoid than he was. He had seen many different races in his travels. There were many explanations for her, though he couldn't currently come up with any.

"Hello!" he called out, hoping that his kinder tone would downplay Valon's accusatory one. "I'm Maahes. Please don't be afraid of us. Valon's a little, um, wary since none of us know what's going, but the rest of us are pretty friendly. We're just trying to figure out where we are and how we got here. Want to join us?" He was rambling, but it was the good sort of ramble - the kind that showed how sincere his words were, and how he was far from a threat.
mage

queer and here.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:35 pm
View Likes
Danni88 says...

India shivered. Was this woman... floating? Her first thought was of the marsh spirits of Scotland. She slowly moved to stand behind Maia, and nervously called out, "Hello! Um, did you just appear here too?"
If the woman did turn out to be hostile, both India and Maia could hold their own in a fight. She braced herself, ready to see what the floating woman's next move would be.
Mmm, teatime. I fancy reviews and chips.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Queen Danni of Awesomeland x

92 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:44 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

How silly of her, approaching them as she did. Their cautious reaction, the female yōkai now recalled, was a very familiar one. When would her hovering ever go unquestioned? She sighed internally. At least their greeting did not live up to the aggression of previous encounters.

The group of five mismatched individuals had long since turned from their unsettled bickering to observe Nanashi. The one who had acknowledged her first radiated a bold heat from his body, impersonating an overly ambitious firefly.

Nanashi paused as instructed. "Why are the dead above us?" she asked, pointing skywards to the passing of faraway spirits; she felt their names slipping away from them, lost to the lacework of time. It filled her with relatable despair. "And yes, I also seem to have misplaced many parts of myself--but that is nothing new."

Deciding that her feet were better received on the ground, Nanashi descended, her soft soles touching down beside a particularly undesirable puddle. Her anklets sounded among the faces before her. She took them in, her gaze landing on the kinder, darker man's side. "Oh my, you're injured!" Nanashi exclaimed.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
"impersonating an overly ambitious firefly"

That line just really made me laugh for some reason.

"It's alright," Maahes hurriedly told her, wanting to dispel her worry as quickly as possible. He was touched that a complete stranger was worried about his well being. "Well, I mean, it hurts, but there's nothing I can really do about it because of my biology."

He glanced up at the sky. The sight was still as disturbing as it was the first time he looked up at it. His focus shifted back to the mysterious woman. "To answer your first question, we're not really sure. Valon thinks we might be cursed. I think we might be...dead...." He trailed off, deeply uncomfortable at the thought of it being true.
mage

queer and here.

92 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:35 pm
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

"Dead? Oh no, I sense your name is still very much attached to you," said Nanashi to the darker skinned man, before drawing her gaze outward. "Indeed, all of you are very much alive, unless your names deceive me. Sometime I doubt my own aliveness... Being a yōkai is very confusing."

Nanashi hopped closer to the injured man, spanning an ordinarily impossible distance with one enchanting leap. "Please, what is your true, full name? You are a peculiar one, but I may be able to heal you." She hoped her mask didn't get in the way of her sincerity.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Someone could actually heal him? He had never encountered someone whose technology could do something like that, though the mention of yōkai and the necessity for his true name suggested that she dealt with the more magical side of the things. "My name is Maahes of Egypt," he said. "I think that should work, but I'm not quite sure. Maybe Maahes of the Ancients would be better? I was never directly called that, but it was who I was before Egypt..."
mage

queer and here.

104 Reviews

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:10 pm
View Likes
Danni88 says...

"And I'm Maia," Maia adds. "Maia Silvertongue. This is my friend, India Pearl."

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

92 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:42 pm
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

What an interesting succession of post-waking this had become.

Nanashi stared into the body of the man named Maahes, fishing for the characters of his name. Maahes of the Ancients, I call to thee, she thought. The foggy impression his name once took gradually revealed itself to her. As the characters arose and sharpened one-by-one in her mind, they appeared vertically in the space between them as if on a flat surface, glowing and visible to their onlookers. Nanashi sent out a healing command, to which the characters responded, vanishing a moment before following the order.

In a short while, the deep, gelatinous wound on Maahes' side sealed itself, stitching together with silver threads that faded after completion.

It was done. Nanashi smiled, however no one could see it.

She turned to the two other females of the group. "My name is Nanashi. It is very nice to meet you."
Last edited by AvantCoffee on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

104 Reviews

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:44 pm
View Likes
Danni88 says...

"Wow, how did you do that?" India asks.

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul."
— Pablo Neruda