Young Writers Society

A House with Many Doors

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:34 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Laurel leaned over, looking closely at the book over Mina's shoulder, waiting for her to keep flipping through the book. Surely, there had to be more than that.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:12 am
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

Raiden looked back at Laurel and Adamina. The first page was a blank page, but maybe that's just how it was printed. It needed what, like three people's marks to open? Yeah, there had to be more. He took a small step closer. He also wanted to see.
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:20 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Auryon pushes herself to her feet with a low grunt and comes over, peering at the blank pages. "Well that's not a very well-written book," she observes.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:33 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Adamina gave Auryon a practiced glare. Then she turned the pages until she saw one filled with flowing script, and focused on the first sentence.

" 'Seven poor travelers, trapped in the grand and mysterious House,' " read Adamina aloud, stiffening with each word. She slammed the book shut. "This is nonsense."
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:08 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Oh, hey, it tells our fortune," Auryon smiles impishly.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:11 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Larrel ripped the book from Mina’s hands and gave Mina a look of frustration. “It’s talking about us!” She frowned, flipping back to the page with determination. “It might tell us why we’re here! Or how to get back home.” She went back to the page, ready to puck up where Mina left off.

Spoiler! :
idk what else the book should say? do you want us to add? i assume this kind of thing is under your jurisdiction?

81 Reviews

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:55 am
View Likes
Lael says...

"Give that back," said Adamina, her eyes boring holes into Laurel.

Spoiler! :
Well, it'll give a brief description of the seven people, which I want to leave up to the respective owners of the characters. Afterwards probably a "can you find your way out?" sort of thing. Also, there's going to be a map of part of the House on the next non-blank page.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

8 Reviews

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:11 pm
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

Raiden calmly counted off the people he had met today on his fingers.
"Huh..." he mumbles
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:57 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James glared back at Mina, coming beside his sister to look at the book, while Larrel completely ignored her, and began to continue reading.

"Seven poor travelers, trapped in the grand and mysterious House, finally joined together for an equally grand and mysterious purpose.

"A curious conundrum to confound them all, once words reveal their character.

"Welcome first, the young curious lass, with a torch in her eyes and flames on her fists. Flowers will not satiate the hunger in her soul for something more, as her hand is pierced with thorns. Nor will empty words tickle her ears. Heart has been her guide.

"Now look to the side, a crown is placed on a head of many sorrows. Propelled by guilt-fueled kindness he finds himself lost: as he's always been..."

Larrel paused, looking over to her brother with wide eyes. "Dragons above, it knows about us."

"Very poetically," James muttered, his face marked by distaste. "But to what end."

Larrel bit her lower lip, looking down and flipping to the next page to continue. After a brief skim, she held out the book for the others to see more clearly. "Looks like it talks about all of us."

Spoiler! :
I figure now's the time for ya'll to fill in your own descriptions of your characters, since I don't wanna steal that from you! I figure we should wait for everyone's character to answer in their own way/provide a desc ??

also wow have you ever realized that you've been spelling your own characters' name wrong??? i have. apparently in my notes it's Larrel, not Laurel (and ironically, I don't prefer the version with the u, my brain just auto corrects, apparently)

81 Reviews

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:46 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Next is the heiress to a station far nobler than the throne. She is the future voice of the people, the buffer between tyranny and the weak. Yet some would claim this is not her true place.

Ever at her side, her faithful and forsaken consort, whose love for her is far stronger than suits a political bond. A warrior by blood, he fears to spill a drop, unless it is in the name of his lady.

Adamina resisted the impulse of ripping the book out of Larrel's hands at the words said about her, from not being the rightful heir to ignoring her consort, though both were basically true.

Edwin blushed and cleared his throat, not quite looking at anything.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:34 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Fifth is the one cloaked in shadows and lies, within her a serpent resides. Her heart is of fire, her life is of ice; the smile she wears is deceptively kind, when she thirsts for blood inside.

"Damn," she says, eyeing the words. "Even the book thinks I'm a bitch."

That would be because you are, dear.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:44 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Then there is a spirit of flames and of the air. Wishing to reverse a fate that is irreversible, he utters the roar of a lion that has been wounded too many times. He is a god in the truest sense of the name - a leader, a legend and a being with magic coursing within - yet he clings to the humans he desperately wants to call his kin.

He shifted uncomfortably, though he offered no words of protest. Flying through the stars in his ship had left him with long, drawling hours. Ship repairs and organizing his supplies could offer some solace. But, more often than not, introspection was often the only way to pass time.

Spoiler! :
I liked getting to write this! There's so much to pick from with Maahes' identity, but I think this captures some of the more important things. @RaidenCheese, I think you're the last one who needs to post!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

8 Reviews

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:06 am
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

Seventh and last is a young boy, cheerful and carefree; a history unknown, a mystery to all but he.
He left home as a small child, but by his own will it was not.

Raiden blinked
"Mine's preettyyy accurate," he said, as he read over it
"But it's shorter...guess there isn't much to say about me," he thought to himself.

Spoiler! :
I just wanted the number 7 >:)
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:21 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Larrel pouted, "I wouldn't put too much weight in what the book thinks about us..." she mumbled as she flipped to the next page, revealing the last foreboding message.

These seven stand - confusion fills their minds as the truth settles in: this is no mistake. But the question then is this:

Can you find a way out?

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:40 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Auryon eyes the words. That means there is a way out - it's just a matter of finding it. But how?

he/him/his

“I'd much rather be someone's shot of whiskey than everyone's cup of tea.”
— Carrie Bradshaw