Young Writers Society

The Ruins

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:14 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Then again, perhaps he's right. Is there any way to know if she doesn't try? Then the question becomes if the risk is worth it.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:23 pm
Mageheart says...

"I hope Shyriik returns soon," he muttered, more to himself than to Rowan. He was unsure of where he should bring the conversation to next. He had imparted his words of wisdom upon her (and sounded like an idiot while he was at it) so what else could they possibly talk about? Both were incredibly reserved; it took coaxing on both of their parts to open up about their pasts.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:44 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Maahes..." she starts, then pauses, hesitant to continue - no, afraid to. "What if...what if trying only got you hurt? Would it..." Rowan glances away, towards the ground. "Would it really be worth it?"

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm
Mageheart says...

He was silent. The question was not difficult to find an answer to; he had always known that getting hurt was part of it. He would befriend people, and they would inevitably die or be left behind. There was no alternative. He was a somewhat immortal being; until he was beaten to death, he would continue to wander this universe and mourn what he had lost.

And it was the thought of those he cared about yet he was no longer with that made his heart ache, and made him unable to speak. Because, suddenly, all he could think about was Jackie and Annie and every other person who had sensed that he was alone and hurting.

"It's worth it," he finally said. "I once-I once visited a world that had a proverb about the journey being more important than the destination. And I think that it's the times you spend - the happy, joyful ones - with someone that are more important than how your story with them ends. And if I'm the one that helps you start, I promise...I promise that I won't hurt you..."

He looked away, his outstretched arm returning to the side. The bird was startled by the action and returned to the safety of its tree. He felt horrible. His essence was twisting and churning at the lies he had just spoken. What right did he have to make that promise? When he found a stargate, he would be leaving her. And even if he stayed here for the duration of her life, he was a liar. She still thought he was human! He was too scared to admit otherwise, but, if his secret was discovered, he was sure he would only be hurting her.
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:50 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

She glances up at him, searching his face to decide whether or not to trust his words. Her emerald gaze is penetrating - and her conclusion uncertain. She finally looks away and back to the sky, where Shyriik is circling high above.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:05 am
Mageheart says...

After staring at the ground for some period of time - what felt like an eternity to him, but only was a minute in actuality - he looked back in Rowan's direction. Her gaze was directed skyward. Following it, he was thrilled to see Shyriik up above them. Now they would focus on something other than a deeply personal subject; he had never felt so relieved.
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:21 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"She hasn't found much," she says. "She can keep looking, or we can look from her. She'll allow you to ride. Grudgingly."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:59 pm
Mageheart says...

"If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to help look," Maahes said, trying to keep as respectful of a tone as possible. He could understand why something like that would be avoided if it could be; the thought of having even one person ride him when he used a more avian guise made him feel uncomfortable.
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:03 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

The bird lands on the ground in the nearby clearing and Rowan approaches. She pulls a bracelet down from her upper arm. It's silver with a small green gem. As it slides its size adjusts to first her forearm, then her wrist. She approaches Shyriik and kneels beside the eagle, touching the gem on the bracelet to the identical gem on Shyriik's anklet, then steps back as the birds size shifts to become much larger, until she's about the size of an African Elephant.

The roc extends her wing and Rowan leaps up onto her wing and then her back in two smooth jumps with the ease of long practice. Once onto Shyriik's back, she extends a hand down to Maahes to help him up.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 am
Mageheart says...

He stared at the sight before him for a good minute, enthralled by the uniqueness of what he had just seen. It was the first time he had ever glimpsed anything like that. All in all, it left him with many questions. But then he reached his hand out and grabbed onto Rowan's hand. Working together, they hoist him up onto the roc's back.
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:35 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Hold on," she tells him, leaning low over her familiar's neck as she crouches and takes off, wings beating as she pushes her massive form from the earth and becomes airborne. The trees sway from the forceful wind howling through them, generated by her wings - this is a creature of great power.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:16 am
Mageheart says...

It was one thing to be flying himself; it was another to be riding upon Shyriik's back, peering down at the area below them. He had vanquished all control to the roc. And while that may not have usually bothered him, he was absolutely terrified now. He threw his arms around Rowan's waist and held on tightly.
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:35 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

She chuckles slightly, amused by the fear she perceives as childish. The roc turns in tight circles, catching the thermals and soaring ever-higher until the forest below is a blanket of green stretching for miles.

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:18 am
Mageheart says...

His grip tightened - not enough to hurt her, but just enough to assure himself that he wasn't going to go plummeting to his doom. It was a stupid fear. If he had to, he could always change his guise to something avian before he hit the ground. It would mean explaining things to Rowan, but what else could he do? Still, logic didn't quell his fear. He guessed that was the whole point of them.

"So where are we heading?" he questioned, cautiously peeking down below them.
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:05 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Where the winds take us," she replies. "For now, we search - there's nowhere to go."

A smile dances across her lips as they get higher - unlike Maahes, this is where she feels at home.

he/him/his

Well, the only way to start is by starting
— AvantCoffee