z

Young Writers Society

The Final Magician

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:19 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

The Mistress of the Sea is rising in power, slowly amassing the army of sea serpents she once had, before he felled her. He is the only one known to be able to slay the Mistress, because of her magic shield. Many millenia ago, she found an artifact capable of granting endless youth and immunity to anything but magic. Slowly, society gave up magic in pursuit of more scientific approaches, and magic faded away.

But he can use magic. He is the last magician, the only living soul that can use magic. No one knows his real name, and he goes by Carnation. After wounding the Mistress and felling all of her forces, nearly forty-three years ago, he disappeared. Rumor has it he went to love in the old bell tower, just south of Vertiuy.

With the Mistress growing in power, a group of youthful heroes set out to locate Carnation, in hopes that he will aid them in their quest to defeat her.

Tiel stood in the tavern, holding up a flyer. It read:

Help wanted! Heroes willing to locate Carnation! Reward, 17,000 gold!

She stood by the front entrance to the tavern, showing it to all who walked in. Most passed her by without a second glance, and she sighed.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:20 am
soundofmind says...

James approached the tavern on his horse, adjusting his cowboy hat to shade his eyes from the noonday son shining above him. As he tied his horse outside the tavern to a post, he caught sight of a young woman holding up a flyer, trying to catch the attention of passerby. He took a few seconds to mull over whether it would be worthwhile to talk to her, and entertained the thought of conversation before he nodded to himself and approached.

If this was a paid job, it was worth looking into.

"Hey, what's the flyer about?" He asked, standing to the side so that tavern customers could still flow in and out.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

176 Reviews

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:27 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

"Read it," Tiel said, pointing to it. "The Mistress is growing in power, and she can't be defeated without magic. We need to locate Carnation, the last known wielder of magic. Money's involved, if that's motivation for you."

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:12 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

((Hope y'all don't mind me hopping in here))
Allison paused on her way home as she passed a tavern. She knew that she wouldn't be allowed to go in there, which was what made her decide that she would sneak in. Ducking behind a group of sweaty men stopping by for an after-work drink, she crept into the bar. It was loud and rambunctious as usual, which was good. Lots of people and lots of noise made it easier for her to avoid detection from the bartender, who wouldn't be happy to see her.

A woman waving a flyer caught her attention. A man seemed to be talking to her, and it wasn't often that a woman ventured in on business matters. This was worth investigating.

She sidled up next to them, trying to catch part of their conversation while casually leaning against the wall to blend in with the others mingling there.
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:25 pm
soundofmind says...

James shrugged, taking a closer look at the flyer and reading it over. Naturally, his eyes landed on the large number that was the reward.

"Hmm. Carnation..." it seemed that this was more than just your run of the mill quest. This had bigger implications, and he could sense that if he stepped into it that there was a possibility this journey could occupy him for more than just a few weeks. But then again, if they were just finding Carnation, he could easily dip out afterwards if there were no obligations to help Carnation (if he were even willing to help) face the Mistress.

Then again, if this was for the greater good, actually unto preventing the Mistress from gaining more power, then it'd be a bit awfully selfish of him to keep going about his daily life and expect it to not change. He was, after all, one of the people living in this world and if something like this was going to happen with or without him, he ought to... help. Or something. But... just... just for this. For now.

"Well I wouldn't call myself a hero," since that was, what the flyer called for, "But... I'm in."

176 Reviews

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:40 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Tiel felt a wave of satisfaction overcome here, knowing she wouldn't have to search for Carnation alone. "I'm glad to hear this. Rest assured, heroes are not desired, but rather just brave individuals. I myself am nothing of a hero, but I am willing to search anyhow." As she said this, she caught a glimpse of a figure hanging back but watching the conversation go down. Wordlessly, their eyes met, and Tiel was sure this figure was aware Tiel knew of the presence.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:48 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James remained silent, but in agreement with Tiel's sentiment, and watched as her eyes went to the figure who had been eavesdropping on their conversation. James decided to break the awkward silence.

"Curious about something?" He asked casually, trying not to sound antagonistic but instead welcoming the stranger into the conversation. The girl was, after all, publicly advertising her quest, so it wasn't like it was something to hide, unless the stranger was affiliated with the Mistress somehow.

561 Reviews

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:25 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

Allison nodded. "I saw a poster and figured I'd check it out. I don't think I'm much of a hero, but I do what I have to and I'm willing to work hard for some cash."

She scanned the poster, and then her eyes fell on the reward-- 17,000 gold. 17,000 would go a long way in paying off the debts that her father had acquired and also her own debts. And it could give her a boost up into the adult world while she tried to find work and remain her emergency funding for years to come, especially since her parents couldn't provide her with any financial support if she needed it. And all to find one person, the Carnation? She jumped on the offer.

"Count me in."
[he/him]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:07 pm
soundofmind says...

"Well, it's good to have you on board." James replied cordially, "I suppose I ought to introduce myself to both of you, then. I'm James."

561 Reviews

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:50 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

Allison nodded politely. "Nice to meet you. I'm Allison. And your name?" She looked politely at Tiel, waiting patiently for a response.
[he/him]

176 Reviews

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:29 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Tiel nodded to both of them. "I am Tiel, servant of the Three Moon Palace, and council member of Lady Ryona, queen of the elven subdivision Lotios. Glad to meet you two."

561 Reviews

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:23 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

Allison glanced over nervously at the bartender, who seemed to be looking in their direction. "Well, when can we get started?" She tried to hide the nerves in her voice, though she was terrified of the burly barista, who could probably thrash her across town if he chose, and she was certain he would if given a reasonable excuse.
[he/him]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:16 pm
soundofmind says...

James hummed in agreement. "Yes, unless you're needing more hired hands." In which case, they'd probably have to wait.

176 Reviews

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 am
View Likes
sheysse says...

Tiel considered for a few moments before arriving at a decision. "While more people are welcomed to join us on our travels, we should consider leaving immediately, so as to arrive as soon as possible."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:39 am
soundofmind says...

James nodded. "Works for me. You lead the way, then."

The ink in which our lives are inscribed is indelible.
— Helena 'HG' Wells, Warehouse 13