"can i be the boss of a"

yes

"can i not be the boss of a "

yes

"can i be knight"

yes

"so is the magic steampunk or elemental or weapon based or sci fi mutations or"

yes

The Knights are either incompetent or corrupt, the King is a pawn in bigger men (or women [or neither <or both>])'s game, and the only thing keeping the Kingdom of Lichtwood afloat are the various criminal organizations running each district of the wide and seemingly infinite land. It's come to the point where different cultures have arisen from different districts--some, more technologically advanced, others more content with being able to burn down uncooperative store owners with a fire spell or two. Some, more kindly and benelovent with their own codes, others ruling with an iron fist, and still others that stay in between. Whatever the case, chances are they all hate each other, and chances are they all want to kick the puppet king out of power and rule as their own.

But even as the war rages on, a new generation of Knights are born, and they're not willing to have the Good Side counted out just yet.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy