Young Writers Society

Valley of Unending Night

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:27 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

As a rule, Maahes treated most situations with caution. He had been reckless in his youth - his first thousand years had been particularly bad - but age had brought with it wisdom that he would have once scoffed at.

That being said, the events that had transpired earlier in the day had resulted in a long gash underneath his coat and a tiredness that he didn't usually feel. Though his alertness had certainly been affected, his mood was suffering even more.

Setting off a Detonation near the woman and the man was seemingly like an increasingly good idea, and he was sorely tempted to give the boy that had been staring at him a show of what he truly looked like - or something else that would terrify him.

But he resisted the urge to either of those things.

"I'm just using this cave as shelter. I heard something coming, so I grabbed my weapon to protect myself. As both of these two can vouch," Here he gestured at Amy and Leon, "I put it away because I realized it that they weren't going to harm me. But I won't hesitate to take it out if you try attacking me."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:34 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Amy nodded vigorously. "YEAH, nobody has to get hurt. I think we've all had our fair share of violence for today?? How 'bout lets none of us be stupid and start somethin' for no reason??? This isn't angry birds anymore, it's just some guy???"

She turned to the cornered stranger and pointed at him. "I mean, that is, unless you try anything funny. But you're not. So, yeah."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:06 am
View Likes
ardentlyThieving says...

Spoiler! :
Of course immediately after I say "hey imma be more active" I disappear to watch the election livestream lol and even still we don't find out our new government until the 12th

"You guys decided to let me tag along. What's so different about him?" Marius asked, extending his shield to the rest of the group, just in case.
“Thus human beings judge of one another, superficially, casually, throwing contempt on one another, with but little reason, and no charity.” - Emmuska Orczy, 'The Scarlet Pimpernel'

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:13 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Darian let out a sigh, exasperated, and folded to his knees on the cavern floor, began taking off his boots as the light faded from his hands. "Well, stranger who elicits responses," he crooned with demure, "I'd love to know all about you before time to sleep."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:55 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"My name is Maahes," he said, sitting down beside the man. He made sure to keep his jacket over his most recent injury. The sight of his essence beneath its surface would result in questions that he didn't want to answer. "I'm a traveler."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:00 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Amy stared at Maahes for a moment with a blank expression as she plopped down across from him.

"Ok but like, that's the most vague job description I've ever heard. Traveler... pff. Traveler traveling where? I mean, I don't mean to pry, but I kinda do. Or are you the kind with no destination in mind?"

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:27 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Tasha backs off as the rest of the party decides he's not a threat, slipping her knives back into her boots and coming over. She doesn't let her guard down, though, and treats him almost like a wary dog would - never coming too close, always watching, always alert, but not quite hostile.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

30 Reviews

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:46 pm
View Likes
ardentlyThieving says...

Marius moved a little further from the edge, sitting down once he was finally far enough away that he couldn't see how large the drop was.

"I'm with Amy on this one. No offence meant, but you're more vague than I was," he pointed out, dropping the shield before it finished draining his mana.
“Thus human beings judge of one another, superficially, casually, throwing contempt on one another, with but little reason, and no charity.” - Emmuska Orczy, 'The Scarlet Pimpernel'

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Their objections to his supposed occupation surprised him. Calling himself a traveler certainly wasn't the full extent of what he spent his time doing, but it had satisfied the people he had met prior to these five. Was it because there was a flaw in his explanation that they had missed, or because this new group were more suspicious?

Whatever the case is, he needed to elaborate more. "I'm sorry for being so vague," he apologized. "Saying that I'm a traveler usually is enough for the people I meet, though I suppose it depends on the place. I travel across the galaxy through a stone circle called a Chappa'ai, and in my ship. I was actually looking for a Chappa'ai to use to return home."

He wisely left out the part where he crashed down onto this planet in a Goa'uld escape pod. If these people were unaware of the threat of them, there was no need to alarm them.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:51 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"So..." Amy blew slowly through her lips, making raspberries. "You mean to tell me you have a space ship? Well dang, it's like you walked straight out of a sci-fi T.V. show, man. That's sick. You forreal? You're not makin' this chap-papi stuff up?"

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:35 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Darian stared at the stranger until Amy closed his drooping jaw for him. Once composed, he cleared his throat.

"If you had an aerial view of this accursed valley, did you perhaps see a harbor at one end? Or any means to get there?"
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes smiled and gave Amy a nod. "I do have a space ship, though it's currently not on this planet with me. I left on a planet that is far from here."

That answer was simple enough. It was the second set of questions presented to him that poised a much larger problem. If he was searching for a Stargate, it wouldn't make sense for him to have come through one. At the same time, he had just established that his ship wasn't on the planet.

He sighed in defeat. There was no way to avoid mentioning the Goa'uld. "I didn't come here in a way that I normally would have," he slowly began. "I came in an escape pod that lacked any kind of windows. I had just barely managed to escape from an enemy-"

He suddenly gawked at Amy, his mouth wide with no words coming out. How could she have known what a sci-fi show was? He had brushed this planet off as a new one because of Darian's fire, but the terminology used was incredibly specific to Earth. And, when he looked over the clothing of Amy and Leon, he realized that it was the clothes of a Earth teen.

"I-I'm on E-Earth?" he managed to get out.
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:49 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Tasha frowns. "If we're in 'Earth' then I'm definitely in the wrong place," she says.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:45 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Amy looked over at everyone else, confusion marking her face. She was still processing the fact that magic existed. She hadn't even begun to consider other planets. "Uhhh... I'm pretty doggone sure I am. I'm from earth."

30 Reviews

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:50 am
View Likes
ardentlyThieving says...

Marius was just as confused as Amy, only for a slightly different reason. "Earth? What's an 'Earth'. Is it the name of this valley?"

"I never expected that I should be a queen so soon."
— Alice's Adventures in Wonderland