Young Writers Society

Stuck in the Suburbs 2.0

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 am
soundofmind says...

Spoiler! :
I'M A LITTLE CONFUSED. Are they inside Amy's house? Or outside it? Did Enide just ring a doorbell while they're all standing in the front lawn? AA
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:17 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
They're in the backyard but can all hear the doorbell because I'm guessing hers is really loud. ^_^
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:40 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Enide:

It was a few seconds before there was any response from within the house. Enide patiently waited, with her graceful smile ever at the ready, as footsteps emanated closer and closer to the door. And then she found herself looking at a youthful-seeming girl with pale skin, black hair, and brown eyes. Youthful-seeming, because Enide appeared about the same age as they did, but was far older than she indicated, and perhaps older than them, unless they were similar in that regard. Nevertheless, she seemed radiant and calm, and had a young man with her. The individual in question had blue eyes, brown hair pulled back in a ponytail, and was about as tall as Enide. The man seemed graceful, composed, and dignified. Boyfriend and girlfriend? It probably wasn't best to ask, as it wasn't in her business to.

"Good morning," Enide began with her serene voice and a slight bow, "This may seem to be an odd request, but my husband, who lives nearby, left home in order to go on an errand, so to speak. I'm not sure where's he gone since then, and I'd like to find him. Have either of you seen him lately? He should look a lot similar to me, except a little more aggressive and tense. He's always been a rather brash man, I'm afraid, and I'm worried that he's gotten himself into some kind of a mess."

The people before her both shook their heads. Enide sighed and continued, "I was concerned about this. Nevertheless, he has a tendency to draw himself into the oddest and most complex of situations. So, if you see anything weird, please feel free to..."

And then, of course, she saw a tall man in a blue suit walk down the hallway towards the front door. Or, rather, speed walking - he seemed unnerved by something, and perhaps with the distinct urge to run out the front door. The heavy clomping of his boots was loud and hard to ignore, as was his large frame, which made moving hard, though he tried his best to be dignified. Yet, in spite of his ruffled appearance, she could recognize him and that large sword from anywhere. Of course, she had never met this man in person, but it did help to be in her position and gain the kind of information and knowledge that she did. Somebody like this individual easily stuck out in those said descriptions, and, though he looked different from what she imagined, it made no difference.

"Lord Renatus!" she called in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

Spoiler! :
SECRET IDENTITY BUSTED. He shouldn't have gone towards that front door. Then again, he's apparently just run into a dead man, so perhaps he's rightfully concerned. :P

It's also rather amusing that, among the three people at the door, Enide probably looks the oldest but is actually the youngest. I wonder how she'll react if she finds out. XD

Also, AAAAAA, I FORGOT TO WRITE A POST UNTIL NOW. o-o
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:22 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Amy

Amy's voice was silenced in the midst of the drama and newness that ensued. A lot was happening, and Amy had quite literally, no clue how to process it. But now, all of these new people were in her house, and yet another knocked on the door. She peeked out from behind Shaun and her boyfriend who had answered the door at the comparatively normal looking woman who was inquiring about her husband. With furrowed brows, she looked around the room as the others filed in, slowly following inside from the backyard. It didn't look like any of them matched her vague description, but the tall sword guy, whose name she'd already forgotten, seemed kind of aggressive and tense. But he looked nothing like the lady.

Adjusting her snapback on her head, tucking her blonde bob-length hair behind her ear, she lifted up a finger, about to speak until the lady exclaimed. Lord... who? Renatus? Her head spun back to the sword weilding man and back to the woman.

"I'm at least 80% sure that's not what he told us his name was. But while you're here, you might as well come inside instead of standing awkwardly in the doorway." It really was only awkward for everyone else in the house who was eavesdropping (most probably unintentionally, but every new arrival drew their attention).

"And like, if you're hungry or thirsty or whatever. I have food and stuff. But uh. Yeah." She pointed back at sword man with her thumb.

"But all that 'Renatus' dude is doing is... well, he basically ran around in my backyard and broke into my friend's room. Not in that order though." She pointed to the others. "But just to info-dump on you. That's Kentaro, said friend who had the room. And this is Shaun, and her boyfriend. And those two are..." Her voice wavered for a moment, as she tried to remember.

"Soul... Error... Arwitch? Right? And uh. Mage. I'm Amy, and this is my house. I... can't remember everyone else's names... I'm sorry."

Spoiler! :

@TheSilverFox wowie I hope this is ok haha,, I THINK I'm up to speed
Last edited by soundofmind on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:42 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Schadel H. Kueper:

"And I'm Schadel," she said with a warm smile. "Schadel H. Kueper, owner of Schadel's Necromancy Agency. My assistant, who is currently standing next to me, is Edward Smith. He's been mute his entire life and suffers from a rare skin condition. Because of that condition, he wears bandages because he doesn't feel comfortable letting people seeing how it's affected him."

The new arrival gave a polite nod to show that she was listening.

"He can speak ASL - American Sign Language - but I doubt all of you know it, so I can translate."

She was getting the sneaking feeling that something incredibly strange was going on here. Soul Error Arwitch and Mage certainly weren't human; there was the man - Lord Renatus, was it? - with the gigantic sword on his back and the girl, Shaun, with her boyfriend. None of the last three seemed exactly normal. When Schadel took a glimpse at their souls, she was startled to see that only the boyfriend possessed one that partially resembled a human. Amy was certainly human. The new arrival was not. There was Sadiq and Billie - both seemed human to her. And then there was Kentaro, whose soul seemed human yet was hiding something.

She glanced at Edward. Though he couldn't see what she could, he was watching the group with just as much suspicion. His eyes were hidden behind his sunglasses, but she could practically hear the gears spinning as he tried to comprehend the site he was seeing.

Someone suddenly spoke up. "Do you actually live nearby?"

Everyone's attention shifted to Soul. "What are you talking about?" Kentaro asked.

He pointed at the newcomer. "Mage overheard you. Great hearing is one of the benefits of being a demon. You said that you lived nearby and that your husband had wandered off." He walked over to her. He wasn't trying to be intimidating, Schadel guessed, but it certainly appeared that way when he stopped in front of her (almost completely clad in knight armor). "I think you might be in the same situation Mage and I are in. You ended up here from another world, and you don't know how to get back. So you come up with a fake story while looking for someone you care about." He smiled. It wasn't threatening in anyway whatsoever; rather, it was a comforting and understanding one. "I could be wrong."

Another world?! Schadel's eyes widened in shock. It would explain how she was standing next to a demon and an angel, but how could no one have learned of it before today?! Whatever the case was, Soul appeared to be onto something. She decided to finish off his accusation. "People don't usually said 'Lord' here on Earth," she helpfully added. "There are some people with that title, sure, but I don't think there's a 'Lord Renatus' here in a California suburb. Plus, you know him. He has a gigantic sword on his back. If I looked at it, I bet it's a real one. So you're at least part of something that isn't considered normal."

Soul began to make his return to Mage. But then - if Schadel had known about the recent change Soul had undergone, she would have understood the difficultly he had been experiencing while trying to walk around in his now oversized armor - Soul tripped and knocked Edward down. Her assistant let out a loud gasp as all of the air was pushed out of him in a single instant, and Schadel was only somewhat aware that something had gone flying off of him in the process.

"I'm sorry!" Soul apologized as he rushed to his feet. Edward also rose, muttering about how he was going to be bruised all over for the next week. But then a boy screamed out in what was very clearly terror, and Schadel realized what had gone flying off seconds before.

He had lost his sunglasses.

Kentaro looked as if he had seen a ghost (which he, in fact, had been seeing since Edward and Schadel's arrival), paling as he raised a trembling finger to point at Edward's now revealed eyes. "Th-there's nothing there!" he managed to get out with a shaking voice.

"There is," Mage said, sounding confused. "I can see his eyes and some of his face. His eyes are blue and his face doesn't look any different than a normal human's."

"What?" Kentaro whispered. "I-I-I can't see anything! There's nothing inside of the bandages - I can see all the way back to the ones in the back!"

With a loud exclamation of, "Crap!", Edward rushed to put his sunglasses back on.

But the damage had been done.

Spoiler! :
Anyone with the ability of magic (or something similar to it) is able to see/hear Edward Smith. People who aren't magical in some way can't see him - instead they just see the back of his head, like Kentaro is doing. Like Schadel mentioned earlier, Kentaro's soul is seemingly human but really isn't. That's why he can hear Edward but not see him.

Oh, @soundofmind, I think you forgot @AnarchyWolf and @JuliasSneezer's characters when you were introducing everyone!
Last edited by Mageheart on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:42 am
Lael says...

Spoiler! :
Also, @soundofmind, everyone would know Shun as Shaun. She never told anyone her real name.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:56 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Spoiler! :
AA SORRY everyone. I think I fixed it so it's ok now? sorry SORRy

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:59 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Enide:

Hmmm. So, she wasn't alone after all. The man in the massive suit of armor had rather handily seen through her story (although she didn't have a clue what a demon was, she kept this in mind), and the girl with the black hair and oddly silver eyes was astute as well. It was amusing that her simple statement had blown through Seres's lie, although it didn't surprise her that he had; and then destroyed her own. Yet, she was used to this, and not intimidated by the friendly-seeming man in armor or the Lord Renatus, who now bore an expression of alarm that quickly progressed to a scowl. Yes, she'd rather have her sword with her, but there was at least a suitable enough distraction in the form of Edward's being claimed to be a ghost. So, she decided that it would be preferable to abandon her present lie, and simply distract everyone from the topic. It was not as though she was afraid to tell them the truth - she wanted to know them long enough to see if she would regret saying it. Properly paranoid, just like every other person where she came from. That was a depressingly common trait.

"How can this man be a ghost?" questioned Enide, stepping into the room. "I see those same blue eyes and an ordinary face. I find it rude to taunt anybody with a condition - it's disgraceful."

Admittedly, she felt bad about alienating the startled man like that, and it was most certainly not the best first impression she could've created. On the other hand, nobody would likely pry into her own story now, until this one was finished, and hopefully she could find some way to make up for it. Yet, she clearly saw what he did not, which was perplexing. Given the way that Seres also stared between the worried man and Edward in confusion (and some frustration), he appeared to have seen what she did. How odd. There had to be something else at work here.

And then, of course, she found herself staring up at Lord Renatus, who seemed awfully miffed for a reason that wasn't hard to guess.

"Who are you?" he remarked, threateningly. He was angry enough that it was hard to move his voice out of a whisper, or he'd probably start yelling, which wouldn't help him in any fashion. "How do you know who I am?"

"You don't already know?" replied Enide out of what was genuine surprise. While, normally, she would not be surprised, as her husband was always the more public figure (due to his reputation and general inability to be forgotten), here was supposed to be one of the well-known military strategies (his effectiveness was, on the other hand, not as admirable) in the world she was from. Indeed, one fallen from grace, and had always been rather localized in terms of his focus, but surely her identity would not escape his notice.

He seemed to realize the same, because his eyes narrowed and he focused on her for a few seconds. Evidently, he was not quite happy with what he guessed, as he made an effort to leave the house at once. Enide blocked him; when he tried to push her out of the way, she grabbed his hand firmly. Not enough to actually stop him, because he was a lot stronger than her, but the gesture worked well enough to make him stop.

"I don't believe you'll be leaving this room," said Enide resolutely.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:11 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Shun

"My, my," whispered Shun under her breath so only Luka could hear. In what seemed to be less than a blink of an eye, the doorbell had rang, she had opened the door to a seemingly young woman asking for her husband who seemed to have gotten lost in his own surroundings, and then this woman was in the room, confronting the tall swordsman. "Lord Renatus." So much for "Sirius Renault."

So many secrets.

Luka was shifting nervously, which was unlike him. Shun wondered what was wrong.

Luka reached for her hand and intertwined his long, slender fingers with hers, holding on tightly. Shun felt waves of apprehension rolling off him in waves. He was actually allowing her to sense some of the feelings in his mind.

If he had opened his mind just that little, leaving himself momentarily vulnerable, Shun thought, maybe she could take a quick look--

Stop. Stop it, Shun. It's Luka, not some stranger. You can't do that to him.

He can take care of himself.

Shun tried to ignore the fact that a little door of Luka's mind was open, but then Kentaro screamed about Schadel's assistant having no eyes. She quietly sighed with relief as she felt Luka's mind barrier snap right back up, but her mind was now focused on Edward.

It was all strange, really. It seemed that Shun could hear him speak, yet not, and see his face, yet not. She blinked a few times, but things were still the same. Her physical senses could not see his eyes or hear his voice.

But her mind could. Either way, Edward had smelled a little strange, which made sense . . . as much as this experience could make sense, anyways.

Shun's senses were being flooded by the different strong scents of each person, especially since they had moved indoors. Nausea began to set in as the new woman grabbed the swordsman's hand, stopping him from leaving.

"Perhaps I could help you two figure things out . . ."

Lightheaded, she could barely feel her legs giving from under her.

Luka Gavrilov

Luka almost didn't manage to catch Shun in time as she wobbled and fell.

"You stubborn . . ." muttered Luka frantically as he lowered her to the ground, ignoring surprised exclaims from the others. She must have weakened herself too much by transporting such a long distance three times already.

As some of the others crowded closer, he said a little more sharply than he usually would, "Stand back! She needs some space." She needs some fresh air.

The others wouldn't--and couldn't--ever understand. They would never even know about his and Shun's true ancestry.

Shun's eyes fluttered open, and she glanced about in confusion though her gaze was slightly unfocused still.

"Shaun," said Luka, barely remembering in time to say the sprite's false name, heart pounding rapidly.

"What happened?" she asked weakly.

"You nearly fainted," he whispered. "Don't you dare try to get up yet."

He himself stood to face the other creatures, straightening his shoulders and crossing his arms, hiding the effects his nerves had had on him.

"If someone didn't catch it earlier, my name's Luka. I'd be glad to listen to any problems. Otherwise, don't mind us and please just resume your conversation. I belive you had something important going on?"

Spoiler! :
Sorry it has taken so long. I'm super busy irl and I couldn't think of what to say so I just made something up quick. Well, the more drama, the merrier? :)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:45 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

Molly Carrow

The house was big with slanted windows and peeling yellow paint. A leading walkway, paved with different colorful rocks and wildflowers were planted evenly. Molly Carrow stood with a worn red suitcase and a scowl. Her mother, a placid woman with yellow teeth and thinning grey hair, dropped her here in this neighborhood filled with houses that look the same. A blue sky with a few clouds; bird called to each other. It seemed like a welcoming community. Houses close to each other. The smell of cookies had lingered in the air. It felt like hope resided here when it goes bored or fed up.
Molly looked down the street to her left, seeing the iron gate. It looked friendly far away. Like a bear eating meat or something scarier. She didn't enjoy see it when she first came. There was a slight wind gust causing goosebumps to arise over Molly's arms. I should've worn something at least warm, she thought, pulling her cardigan tighter to her body. Her pink dress fluttered slightly in the wind along with her brown hair.
The sun was high in the sky when Molly decided to walk to the door. Even as she was walking, there was a presence. An eye on your shoulder. The wind moving the wrong way. When Molly looked back (couple of times. She's very paranoid), there was nothing. Looking up at the house, she saw nothing inside. No life. Maybe mom dropped me off at the wrong place. Maybe this neighborhood is just deserted and I have to defend for myself.
Her knock seemed to echo inside the house. She was surprised to find it unlock when she tested the doorknob.

"Hello?" she called out. The hallway seemed to be empty, except for some pictures on the left wall. A staircase led upwards with dust on the banister. A pink bunny was sitting on the second step, staring at Molly with plastic, brown eyes.

"Okay. No reason to be afraid. You are strong, Molly. You got this," she told herself countless times. Walking through the house, she found the kitchen. Pots and pans were on the floor, a clear liquid inside each one. The water tap was on, flooding the sink. There was a vase with yellow flowers on the table, dead beyond repair. Molly knotted her eyebrows and headed to the room next: the dining room.
Chairs were placed by the walls, the table itself folded on the adjacent wall. A grandfather clock was stuck on the number 4 and when Molly left the room, it dinged four times (Molly jumped like a cat).
The room next to the dining room was, from Molly's understanding, the living room. It didn't look very lively. The walls were painted a dull grey was a silver love seat close to the left wall. A TV (which later Molly found didn't work) was across from the couch, with finger prints on the screen. The bookcase inside the living room seemed to be the only thing that had color (besides the ugly, vomit red carpet). Molly walked towards the bookcase, eager to see what they had. Perhaps they have some Steven King or something.
Reaching for a bright yellow book, the bookcase made a noise similar to gears creaking and slid to the right, revealing an old wooden staircase that led down.

"Why do I have to be in the creepy house with secret places?"

"Because you were invited here," a bored voice answered. Before Molly could turn around and scream, she was pushed down the stairs, her feet stumbled under her.

Spoiler! :
hihi, okay so I couldn't wait to write this out. Molly is new, if you can't tell, and very "ritual" towards scary places. I'm excited to write for her ^^
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:55 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Amy

Ghost boy. Kentaro freaking out. Lord Liar. Shaun fainting. Like many of the others, Amy wanted to rush to Shaun's aid, but she was shooed away by Shaun's boyfriend, Luka. In all honesty, she could understand fainting under all of the crazy weirdness that was happening. And she in all honesty, wasn't sure why Kentaro was afraid. She didn't see what he saw. Admittedly, more than half of the people in her house were decidedly strange, but she didn't think screaming at them was the most appropriate response. However, she also had no reason to believe that Kentaro was lying about what he saw, and above all else, he was probably the one person in the room she knew the best, and could trust was sane.

So she went to him, putting a hand on his shoulder. She'd begun to accept that the things going on between the strangers in her home were truly out of her control, and that just yelling at them to pull themselves together wasn't going to solve anything.

"W-woah. Calm down there bud," She said, trying her best to sound understanding. "Uh. It's ok. I don't know what's up with this guy but don't freak out man. I'm pretty sure it'll be ok. Probably. Maybe."

And she was realizing that she really wasn't sure about much at all. Dang I suck at sounding reassuring.

She pulled out her phone, her attention divided between Kentaro, the room, and her texting. She'd slipped in a message before, when she thought someone had broken into Kentaro's house, but now she was sending another.

"Come asap. Like legit"

Sent.

Spoiler! :
ALSO!! @Steggy !! Do you want someone to jump in as the person who?? Pushed Molly down the stairs?? Or do you want someone to save her?? I'' not sure how to jump in with my next character hah

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
— Jules de Gaultier