z

Young Writers Society

A Tavern above the docks

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:12 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

Arianna
The docks look old and run down, but I smile at the carefully constructed fake rot, and the perfectly strewn dust. I clean my boots of the grass and climb up the stairs to make my way to the nearby inn above it. The sun hasn't set yet, and the bar is mostly empty. I pay for a room, head to the bar, and pull my hat down low to avoid being recognized. Salian was so dead.

So this is set in the docks at a city called Wherry. It's a city full of pirates, assassins, and pickpockets. I suppose the good are here too, but make sure to bring along some sort of weapon. The innkeeper is an old elf named S'Arrete. There are no rules in this city, but be warned, you may be killed... Also, feel free to set your roleplay elsewhere in the city, but make sure that your character doesn't go to a brothel on the other side of town and have a conversation with someone still at the docks... I will also be roleplaying quite a bit. Normal rp rules follow- cursing is fine, just in moderation, violence is fine... just don't be too descriptive, and same goes for sex.
Last edited by TheCrimsonLady on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:35 pm
Caesar says...

Cato

The tavern was interesting, to say the least. An individual could admire it at different levels: a casual glance would reveal nothing out of the ordinary -- blackened rafters, a slight coating of mold in the corners, dust on the floor. The tables were chipped, the chairs creaky, and the air smelled of rotten fish. People were clustered at their tables, nursing modest (or not so modest) mugs of their cheap liquor of choice.

A more careful observation, however, would reveal a carefully crafted order to things. The disposition of the tables, even how the dust seemed to be fresh, how some elements seemed to be quite new, while other parts were clearly old and tried by the ages.

But it was only after one had been sitting here for several hours, watchfully, as Cato had been doing, that a pattern in the ebb and flow of people could be noticed. Some discussed in small groups, then a member went to have a word with the barkeep. There would be muttered -- yet apparently enthusiastic -- conversation, and then perhaps, at random intervals, one of them would be lead through an unassuming back door. Or perhaps one would pay close attention to the man in the corner with gambling dice. Coins were dropped, and words were traded, and gambles were gambled, all meticulously oiled, as if it were routine.

This is why Cato was here, after all. He had a job to attend to.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

212 Reviews

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

Arianna
I glance at the new entry. Damn. Not Salian. I finish off my bottle and carefully study the person. I narrow my eyes when he scans the room and whip back around when he turns to look at me. I shrink back into my corner and calmly get up when I see the way he walks. Pirate. I smoothly get off of the barstool and retreat to my rooms. If this idiotic pirate was going to attack me, I didn't have a problem with that. Let him try to. I was the Pirate queen. The outcome was simple; he'd die.

I unlock my room and draw the long knife I keep hidden in my corset. I hide it in my boot and go back downstairs. I start flirting heavily with a man in the tavern and sneak periodic glances as the pirate.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:02 pm
Caesar says...

Cato

Cato's face, underneath his hood, morphed slowly into what resembled a grin. He saw the girl stand up and retreat when his gaze fell upon her. Perfect, quite excellent indeed! He was expected.

Cato waited a while, finishing off his beer with deliberate slowness. As far as beer went, it wasn't particularly good, in fact, Cato recalled better-tasting seawater. As he drank, he contemplated his options. An outright attack, barricaded as she was in her room, wasn't wise. He could wait, but if he waited too long, she would slip away, down the window, or perhaps out a side exit… swiftness was the key here. Swiftness and determination.

The girl solved the problem for him when she walked back down, looking furtive. She started talking to a man, but Cato could tell she was tense from her stance. Swiftness and determination, was it? Cato finished his drink and set it on the table. Then, he walked towards her, covering the ground in a few quick strides.

"Madam Arianna," he said, with a mock bow.

212 Reviews

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

Arianna

I turn to face the pirate. I figured that he would approach me, and I turn to face him.

"How do you know my name?" I decide to play dumb. I draw my knife, but keep it hidden underneath my cloak. "Who are you?" I size him up. His hands are soft, rough on the outside only. He must be a noble-turned-criminal. Easy. The idiot probably had no experience, and I was, after all, the Pirate Queen. "What do you want?" I let my voice carry a hint of warning to him, and observe his reaction. A satisfied smile spreads over his face and I clutch my knife even tighter.
Last edited by TheCrimsonLady on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 pm
Caesar says...

Cato

"What do you want?"

Cato's grin widened. Exactly what he wanted to hear. He saw one of her arms shift underneath her mantle, probably going for a dagger.

"In answer to your first question," he said, "many know the name of the legendary Pirate Queen."

Cato made sure those words were quite obviously capitalized. His tone dripped with honey. He noticed, pleased, that last statement garnered quite some attention. The man Arianna was speaking to moments before stepped back, his face a curious picture of confusion and alarm.

"As for your second question," Cato continued, sweeping an arm out (the other was resting on the hilt of his sword), "perhaps it would be best if that were answered away from indiscrete ears."
Last edited by Caesar on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

212 Reviews

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

Arianna

I growl at his insolence. "The Pirate Queen is said to be ruthless, and deadly. Why the hell would you want to go up against her?" I raise one eyebrow, and the man sighs.

"Isn't it obvious?" He pauses. "I hope you realize that you've just given your identity away, by the way."

"I don't do anything without meaning to."

"Either way... " He trails off, and he raises an arm to the exit. A variety of expressions cross over his face, but I don't try to decipher anything.

I acknowledge him and storm out of the tavern, ready for the kill. The colder air glides over my skin, and my teeth are set into a feral snarl.

Reviews: 3
Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:53 pm
RedEyedRunt says...

Isabella Winslow

I stepped onto the docks with my black leather boots. the very sharp almost dagger like heels dug into the wooden docks. I pulled my black hood closer to my face. Somebody ran up to me sword in hand, I slashed his throat. He staggered off the docks and fell into the water. I walked calmly off the docks and onto the cobblestone path. I walked into the tavern and pulled my hood down. My long golden locks poured out. I was known through out lands for my beauty. A group of pirates cat called me. I pulled out my dagger, they instantly shut up. A girl and a pirate looked my way . . . the pirate looked at me as if staring at 1,000 gold coins. I looked away. Then he spoke . . .
Winterfell is cold.

Reviews: 0
Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:09 pm
Gadgetron1 says...

Lily
Lily slipped into the tavern looking for a target. Perhaps someone drunk who isn't paying attention to where his money is. Lily was a pick pocket, earning her money from stealing from others. She held her small dagger in one hand. She spotted someone passed out with their face on the table and a pouch knotted onto their belt. Lily's deft fingers undid the knot and she slipped away.

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:37 pm
RedEyedRunt says...

Isabella Winslow

I saw a pick pocket and slowly followed her. She seemed so familiar .

"Lily?"

She spun around and saw me. She pointed her dagger at my throat. Then she scanned my face and lowered her dagger . . .

"Isabella?"

"Yes it's me!"

She scanned my whole body and finally said,

"Isabella? Man you've grown! It's so good to see a friendly face."
Winterfell is cold.

Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:17 pm
Gadgetron1 says...

Lily
"Don't sneak up on me like that," I added "You scared me half to death!" Then I grinned at her "How have you been, I haven't seen you in aages!" Isabella and I had been friends for a while but our lines of work had taken us in different directions.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:19 pm
RedEyedRunt says...

Isabella Winslow

I had to tell Lily. I had to.

"Lily . . ."

"Is there somebody behind me with a knife?"

"no but there is something I need to tell you."

"What?"

"You know . . . The Ghost ship?"

"Yeah. Only the brave speak of that name."

"Have you heard about the captain?"

"What are you trying to say?'

The captain is a very handsome man but he's forcing me to marry him!"

"You can't be forced though . . ."

"He killed my family."

"I don't understand . . . Henry Black would never marry ANYBODY!!!!!!"

"He said I was like a mermaid. Elegant, Beautiful, and charming."

"Well I guess you should be happy. He is the most handsome man on the seven seas . . ."

Then a figure appeared on the docks . . . It was my future husband.
Winterfell is cold.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:33 pm
Gadgetron1 says...

Lily
"Speak of the devil!" I muttered "There he is!" I shivered, Henry Black scared me, I slid the money pouch into my shoe and gripped my dagger tighter as he approached. His gaze was harsh and steely and when he saw Isabella he quickened.

Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:18 pm
RedEyedRunt says...

Isabella Winslow

He walked quickly towards me. His bright blue eyes put me in some sort of trance. I blacked out. I heard screaming . . . I woke up to find myself in a beautiful room full of velvet pillows. Somebody entered. It was Henry Black.

"Lily will find me and when she does she will kill you!"

"Have any other threats?"

He slowly walked towards me. I reached into my pocket but I felt no dagger . . .

"Where did you take me?'

"Somewhere where nobody can rescue you."

"What do you want?"

"Have you forgotten our marriage?"

I looked out of the glass window and saw lily!
Winterfell is cold.

Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:46 pm
Gadgetron1 says...

Lily-16-Pickpocket
When Henry Black had got closer I had slipped off into the shadows. I watched him take Isabella to a small hidden away cottage without being seen. When Iz saw me I quickly ducked not watching Henry to follow her line of vision. He didn't even look. I grabbed a rock and threw it at the window knowing that the door was locked and wouldn't easily be kicked open. Then I followed the rock through the shattered window. Henry was ready for me and was holding a long cutlass but as he slashed into my arm I could feel no pain, only anger at him for taking my friend. I slashed at him sucking and weaving away from his cutlass. He was a lot taller than me so I made myself small and he almost tripped over me. I chucked my spare dagger onto the floor near Isabella.

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green