z

Young Writers Society

Quitting a Storybook.

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:31 am
Day says...

"I do agree that two people should not post back and forth all day without letting others post. However, if no one else is posting, then sometimes it's necessary for two people to move the storyline along to a point where everyone can come back in.... It's all about balance. Good storybooks have it. In fact, it is completely necessary in order to have a good, healthy storybook."

~Crysi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, my name is Day, and I fall prey to the desire to simply abandon a storybook.

This happens often whether I get bored of my character or somehow the storybook loses interest to you and/or other people in the group. I decided for my 800th post I would post another guide to storybooking in order to help people overcome another problem. This will be short, sweet and to the point.

If you think you might have these horrible thoughts of leaving a storybook without saying anything or rapping up your tale then please continue to read.

1. When and How
Usually this happens after a few days or in terms of pages in storybook, usually around 6. This can and may be sooner or later depending on how many people are involved and your own posting habits. It begins with blatantly beginning to ignore the thread or other times stalking the thread, but refusing to post. Once again this is usually due to "boredom," or at least that's what YOU think it is. The most likely case is that your character isn't being involved or things aren't going the way you want them to. I don't blame you for feeling this way at all, it happens to everyone at some point.

2. Why you should fight it
If you have your heart set on attempting to simply slide out of the storybook then your doing a horrible dead! You're in fact harming the other users. This can easily be compared to commitment, and it can be compared to real life using a metaphor to better explain the situation.

Once you sign up to go to camp your responsible for going to it. If you, for some reason, disappear in the middle of the camping adventure the other campers (fellow users involved in the SB) and camp counselor (or creator of the storybook) will be anxiously looking for you and expecting you to be with them. It's a group activity and everyone knows in camp you should always stay together to build friendships (or plot in this case).

Examples from real life are so much fun! Well now that you understand what it is, you should realize that YOU ARE NEEDED in the group. Thus you can't simply give up the storybook without announcing it or if your still thinking about the example (ditching camp without alerting anyone). It is always the best idea to let people know at the very least that you are leaving or even better take it to the next level.

3. The Next Step
If you've decided to actually be a good storybooker and do more than just say you're leaving then congratulations and everyone will love you a little bit more. It doesn't matter what kind of storybook you are in. Your next course of action should be to develop a plan based around the plot line. It doesn't have to be elaborate or extensive, but it should allow you to make a clean exit.

One important fact to think about is what characters are extremely involved or related to yours. These will be the ones most impacted by your leaving. Usually when your forming your plan to leave you should decide based on the situation whether or not one post will be adequate. Your goal should be to create a clean plot break from your character. Multiple tools can be used to accomplish this.

Two I recommend are:
[*]Simply announcing your sudden departure. (Ironic isn't it? But simply having your character say he is leaving for one reason or another is adequate.
[*]If the plot allows it then make your character be killed off in some way.

4. Wrapping up
If you've successfully "removed" yourself from a storybook in the proper way then I salute you. Hopefully you never have to use these basic techniques, but in the case that you do please do so with discretion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that this guide was beneficial to you in some way. If you have any sugguestions or comments please feel free to drop a reply.

Thanks,

Day
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

What orators lack in depth they make up for in length.
— Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu