z

Young Writers Society

Storybook RPG: Guidelines

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:28 am
smaur says...

Okay, Griffinkeeper asked me to re-post this in the Storybooks thread. If you're in this forum, you're probably already familiar with the YWS style of storybook; hopefully, we'll now be able to introduce the other kind of storybook RPG style — the TYWC style.

If you've already been to TYWC and are familiar with this style of storybook RPGing, don't worry about this. If you haven't, though — well, keep reading.

For starters, pretend you have never heard of the YWS style of storybooks and RPGs. We're starting from a clean slate.

What is a storybook? It's a story that everyone can potentially contribute to. You read the posts so far and then add a bit more to the story. "A bit" can be anything from a line of dialogue to a forty-page post, but in the case of RPGs, I'd suggest you write a little bit more than a line of dialogue. At the end of this post, I'll link to a couple of storybook RPGs written TYWC-style, so you can see how long the posts tend to be.

What is a storybook RPG? Similar to a storybook, except that you choose a character and write your addition to the story from his or her point of view. This is very similar to YWS storybooks (I think, anyway) except that here, you can write for other people's characters. You can only do this if your character is interacting with the other person's character.

So, let's pretend you're joining a storybook RPG. What do you do?

1. Read the stuff that's been written so far. - This may seem like an indimidating prospect if the storybook is obscenely long, but it's necessary. It's also why people tend to join near the beginning; less reading to slog through ;).

2. Choose a character. - Sometimes, in the original post, there will be a list of characters that you must choose from. Sometimes, you can add more characters, but only after the original list of characters has been claimed. Sometimes the original post doesn't have a list of characters, and you get to make up your own. It all depends on the original poster.

3. Write a profile. - Once you've got a character, you write a profile. This can include anything from physical characteristics to personality traits to an extensive five-paged backstory. A profile is imperative because it is a resource for other writers in the RPG to draw on if/when they write for your character. Which is why it is very important to include at least a basic outline of your character's personality traits on his/her profile. That way, other writers know how your character might react to certain situations, and will (hopefully) be more comfortable writing for your character.

4. Write your first post. - Pretty self-explanatory, I think. Some RPGs request that you find an interesting way for your character to meet up with the other characters; some don't. Which brings me to the next rule ...

5. Follow the rules of the storybook. - Again, depending on the original poster, an RPG may have extensive rules, and it may have none. If they exist, follow the rules. People will like you for it. :)

6. Keep other characters in-character. - This kind of goes without saying, I suppose, but still very important. So if your character is a blonde axe-wielding maiden, and the other character as a rule hates blonde, axe-wielding maidens, don't have the other character suddenly fall head-over-heels in love with your character. Tempting, but don't do it. Having said that ...

7. If someone writes a post with your character in it, work with it. - If someone else writes a post and your normally laidback character suddenly and randomly erupts in a fit of rage, don't get too ticked off at the writer. Try to work with the post. Maybe your character just found out that his mother died and is feeling (quite understandably) touchy. Some writers feel it necessary to go back and rewrite the post with the exact same events, but from their own character's point of view, to better explain their thought process. Others just keep writing. Whatever floats your boat.

And also: don't be afraid to make up new subplots and weave them into the main story. That's where half the fun is. And don't be afraid to write for other characters. (These are obviously not rules, but guidelines.)

Now. Links to TYWC storybooks. Please note that these are all storybooks on, well, TYWC. Some of them don't get into full-throttle RPG form until a little further down — Mystical Legends is an example of that, I think. Also, they're all very, very long. You don't have to read them; it's just to give you an idea of the format of the TYWC Storybook RPGs, and the length.

(P.S. If you stumble across anything of mine — I, um, can't be held responsible for any eye-gougingly bad writing. Really. It was a long time ago. I may or may not have been a crazy drunken sea monkey. Yeah. That. :roll:)

The Desolation of Nuram
The Finding of Lokan
Mystical Legends
Teens That Are Crazy (Because Snoink would kill me if I didn't include this. If you're confused; keep scrolling down. It gets better.)

...okay, I think that's everything. If there's anything else that anyone from TYWC wants to add, feel free to do so. And the reason this is a separate post from the actual storybook itself is so that if anyone has any questions/comments/concerns/donations, they can post here.

This may sound daunting, but it really isn't.

Good luck, and have fun. :)
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:31 pm
WanaBeAuthor says...

Sweet, So basically StoryBooks are RolePlaying?
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"
Unknown.

Got YWS?

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:19 am
Ego says...

Sort of--whereas RPGs are more about playing your character, Storybooks are more about furthering the plot in some way. Many RPGs have a lot of one line posts, maybe a line of dialog or something. Storybooks, however, encourage large, elaborate posts dealing with multiple characters.

Most of the time.

Sometimes, storybooks are just RPGs under a different name.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:45 am
Light_Devil says...

I was just wondering; is there any way to delete your own posts?
"Eat, Drink, Play"- National Pub Poker League
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
You wanna go to sleep? Click this --> http://qinni.deviantart.com/art/Timeles ... -102881379

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:09 pm
Rydia says...

It is preferred that rather than deleting posts, you edit out the content by using the edit button in the top right hand corner and removing all the text and leaving a message such as 'Removed' but if you really must delete a post, that's what the cross in the top right hand corner does.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:56 am
Stori says...

What's going on please? Why am I just "Earth" now?

What is Earth? I don't know anything. I....

Blast it. I've been dead for a whole age. I've been dead.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:59 am
Bloo says...

huh
stori you do know this is not a story book right

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue May 12, 2009 2:45 am
Shireling says...

smaur, could you add some new links? None of the links to the examples work anymore, at least not for me.

I get the old,
403 Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~david/derya/stbks1/stbk1102.htm on this server.

Thanks for the helpful information

Shireling
Calling all Ringers, your presence is required at the Middangeared group...Please?

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:47 pm
scd250 says...

Disregard.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:18 pm
Rydia says...

TYWC has since gone down which is why the links don't work. For example storybooks, just visit the YWS storybook archives.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:32 am
ToritheMonster says...

I feel stupid. What does RPG stand for? Role Playing... something? Group? I'm not sure. XD
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:06 am
ScarlettFire says...

RPG = Role Play(ing) Game.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:26 pm
ToritheMonster says...

ohhhhh. Okay, thanks.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:49 pm
Tomoko says...

RPG usually describes a game, whether it be a board game or video game in which you control and develop your own character which interacts with other peoples' characters that are developed the same way. I don't understand why these are called "Storybooks" or "RPGs", when they are just roleplay. I understand Storybook could be a clever title or something, though. I don't know why you say roleplaying is usually just "one line" things, either. I've been roleplaying for a long time, and I never one-line, but "para" to "para+" roleplay, which comes to be very descriptive and moves plot along great.

And one more thing. I can't keep myself from freaking out if someone posts for my character. Honestly, I think that's stupid. My character is my character, yours is yours. They may be in the same story, but this is roleplay. You wait your turn.
"Harajuku Vomit Princess"

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:58 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Tomoko. You're right. RPG is usually a board game or video game. These RPGs on YWS are called storybooks because they're more of a story than a game.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

you should no this
— Hijinks