z

Young Writers Society

Storybook RPG: Guidelines

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:02 pm
Tomoko says...

I understand, but you can't say that it is not roleplay. You're right that at least some roleplay is one-liners, when it's lazily done as with all other forms of writing, but I've taken part in very elaborate and long roleplays that have had great plot and character development. These roleplays are like what you are calling "Storybooks." One person posts for their character, then the next person for their character, and so on, in a cycle. This is roleplay.
"Harajuku Vomit Princess"

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:06 pm
ScarlettFire says...

I never said it wasn't rolepaly. It is roleplay, but different. And different is good sometimes. Personally, I prefer the term "Storybooks".
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:16 pm
Tomoko says...

Okay, I understand that. Roleplay on Young Writer's Society is "Storybooks."

I also think that people can still have a decently-lengthed reply post without "posting for the other person" for a conversation or something. If they're not a ventriloquist, they're not going to speak for me. I'm really sorry if I come off as selfish, but I know my character better than anyone else would.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:21 pm
ScarlettFire says...

I can understand that. Quite often I've checked the last post in a Storybook to see my character portrayed wrong or saying/doing something she (or he) normally wouldn't say/do. And it was even stated in the profile. Usually it's a case of the person not reading the posts before theirs since they last posted or read the posts. It's often frustrating when you want to say something to them but don't want to in case you hurt their feelings.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:00 pm
Tomoko says...

Okay... So, I won't argue against it. I'll just say that I will not do it, and will hope other people don't do it to me. But, if they do use my character, I guess I have to just go along with it.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:21 am
kidashka says...

I guess you just have to be super clear when writing character profiles... I do include other storybooker's characters quite often, but it's generally in the interests of plot. I usually read the appropriate character profile several times before writing any responses of theirs...
I think it would probably be best to tell the other member that they've made your character do something that you've said they wouldn't do - I wouldn't mind it if someone else told me I was twisting their character, as long as they said it nicely :D

I look forward to seeing you in some Storybooks soon, Tomoko!
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

Fri May 21, 2010 7:14 am
RisfelRagnarok says...

This makes me question a few things. I have an idea in mind for a Storybook/RP but to do that, I would need to make a group, and separate topics into categories, like title, time line, event, and chapter, or something like that. I have the idea in mind to distinguish the Roleplay with chapters instead of keeping it all bottled up in one topic, think I can do this?

I also though if I could make a topic only for the characters and their profiles so readers don't get bored. As well as another topic for the Overview, but this could go with the character management. Is this allowed?

Also, Tomoko, take it easy lol. Before the beginning of a roleplay that is how we set up rules, say you put up a rule that says that you don't want anyone rping your character but you, you should do that. Or, actually begin a group

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri May 21, 2010 10:23 am
Rydia says...

Risfel: The idea of chapters is an intriguing one, how long would each thread go to? It would be acceptable so long as each chapter is of a reasonable length, at least four pages of thread before you move onto the next. Chapters going into inactivity would be archived but it would work in the same way as sequels: you could link them in the first post of each new chapter.

Your second query strikes me as unecessary though. You can use the discussion topic for the overview and character profiles.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Fri May 21, 2010 1:49 pm
LastPaladin says...

Tomoko wrote:Okay, I understand that. Roleplay on Young Writer's Society is "Storybooks."

I also think that people can still have a decently-lengthed reply post without "posting for the other person" for a conversation or something. If they're not a ventriloquist, they're not going to speak for me. I'm really sorry if I come off as selfish, but I know my character better than anyone else would.

I disagree Tomoko I'm an avid storybooker and been storybooking on here since I was 14, and I found often or not, limiting a person to post without any form of borrowing a character leads to problems. Because for instance in my storybook Location Unknown: Mission Failed, I said no godmodding but my definition of it is far different from yours. Mines works that as long as ya keep the character within there profile and even get the person to help ya with dialogue then it's fine. But godmodding is when you ignore profile and go off willy nilly.

But you say any control is wrong and shouldn't be done. Storybooks improve writing when you give writers limitations they find it harder. I've found my writing improved amazingly with doing them.

Plus, this complaint is rare, most of the time people follow rules, most of the time. If ya so wish be clear, but don't act like we're doing it wrong.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:50 pm
Undertaker says...

Is there any way to get rid of the "last edited" when you post something?
"Show me a "first rate laugh"."

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 pm
Kamas says...

Only if you edit it before someone else posts. Otherwise no sorry.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:28 pm
View Likes
Undertaker says...

Oh...well thank you anyway! :D
"Show me a "first rate laugh"."

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson