z

Young Writers Society

The Qualities of an Excellent Storybook Writer

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:07 am
Griffinkeeper says...

There are many storybook writers, but it seems a bunch of them are lacking in what I'd call excellent storybook writing. Here's what I think you need.

1. Excellent writing skills. I'm not talking about "good English and grammar." That is in the realm of technical expertise and is basic part of being a writer. I'm talking about excellence in writing. Every scene is clearly described and well thought out. Pains are taken to show something instead of telling. When you finish reading the post, you wish it continued, because you were having that much fun reading.

2. Consistent posting. It is one thing to write an excellent scene, but to be able to produce excellent scenes consistently is a mark of excellence in storybook writing.

3. Excellence in character writing. Each scene shows off something new about the character. Not cosmetic things, like what they wear or that jazz. Instead it shows off something they know, something they feel, or something they think. If your character is doing the same stuff he did last time, then your just repeating yourself. Nothing is more boring to write or read than the same thing over and over. The excellent storybook writer will show a broad spectrum of character emotions and situations which demonstrate character.

4. Excellence in character dynamics. The excellent storybook writer looks for roles in the storybook that are needed and plays those roles instead of the roles which they always play. They know that they don't have to be the main character in order to influence the story. They know how each of the characters interact with each other, therefore they don't need to wait for another writer to come on and "finish" a conversation.

5. Excellent plot dynamics. An excellent storybook writer isn't afraid to throw their characters into a difficult situation in order to drive the plot. They are don't just write a fight scene, but are capable of writing romantic scenes, boring scenes, and sometimes even comedic scenes. (I highly recommend comedic scenes, as they are both very difficult to do and entertaining for others to read.)

In short, an excellent storybook writer can do it all, do it superbly, and do it consistently.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
— Stanislaw Jerszy Lec