z

Young Writers Society

Storybook Sticky

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:41 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Since some of the newcomers don't know, here is a sticky on Storybooks. A Storybook is when several writers work on a story together, like group writing. Storybooks are more fun than some other forms of writing because it allows writers to write creatively together.

Normal Storybooks involve writing for a single character, or from a single characters perspective, just like campfires where everyone continues the story.

One of the more popular Storybooks are Storybook RPG's. A Storybook RPG is the same concept as a regular Storybook, only instead of having a single main character and perspective, each of the writers write for their own characters in the story. This allows for multiple perspectives, which gives a story a "3D" feel to it.

No matter what type of Storybook, they use the same types of rules. While these rules vary from Storybook to Storybook, here are some common ones, otherwise known as basic form.

1. No God Modding. This rule is interpreted on a broad scale. On the loose end it simply means that you don't have your characters beat up other characters easily, see God Characters. The strictest end is that you can't write the reactions of the other characters, so that you couldn't post dialog of any character but your own.

2. No Killing Other Writers Characters: This is a big one. Only the writer can kill their character. The only time that writers can kill another character is under certain circumstances, like when the writer for a certain character has been inactive for a very long time. Note: Just because a writer has been inactive forever doesn't necessarily mean you should kill a character, only that the character should be a non-playable character (NPC's)

3. God Characters: A god character is a character that has no flaws and makes no mistakes. A ninja that kills an entire army without getting scratched is an example of such a character.

On top of this, there is are the special restrictions. These usually restricts the genre of the storybook (This is a fantasy story), the type of story (This is a fantasy RPG), and other special restrictions (you can't have strong magic, you can't have any magic, no body can play bad guys, etc.)

While these rules seem intimidating, they mostly exercise common courtesy. Follow these rules and you will have lots of fun. If there are any continuous problems in a Storybook, make sure to contact a moderator or admin about it.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:29 am
JFW1415 says...

*Raises hand* I have a question!

Have any of these ever actually been finished?

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:50 am
MidnightVampire says...

None that I know of, maybe you could look in the back pages for finished ones (you'll probably find long forgotten ones, though).
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:51 pm
TNCowgirl says...

You mean have any SB's been finished, oh ya, several. Like Autums (sp) Beginning is finished we are just keeping to writing on there. There is acctually two finished stories in that one, we are started on the third. :D Then there are a few others. If you want the names PM me and I'll go looking for them. :D
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:22 pm
JFW1415 says...

Oh, you don't need to. :P I was just looking in the back pages and realized that most of them just died out, so I was wondering if anyone knew of completed ones without searching through pages of sb's. :P

Thanks for the answers! :P

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:01 pm
TNCowgirl says...

There is Sada too, that isn't the whole name, and I would only be looking for the ones I knew the names of. We acctually started a second and maybe a third on that one. I don't member, ask Boon. He knows, he was the one that started them. :D
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

One who sits between two chairs may easily fall down.
— Proverb from Romania and Russia