z

Young Writers Society

On removing my work from YWS

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:39 am
JustMeNathalie says...

Hey! I haven't been on for a few months and I have no clue how to navigate this new design on the website.

My problem is that I would really like to remove my works/topics from this site. I no longer like the idea of my works up on the internet for the world to see. I would really like to remove them, but I don't know how. I know that this is considered a good thing, and that there probably isn't a chance of someone stealing my work, but it still worries me.

When I go to my works, the topic is locked. And I can't edit the post (which I thought I would be able to do whenever I wanted when I joined), so I can't delete my post content.

I would really like to delete my account, but I know that's *unfortunately* not possible. Don't get me wrong, YWS is a good site to get critiqued and to get honest opinions of your work, BUT I no longer go on here and I haven't gone on here since October (I think). If I can't delete my account, I would really like my posts and works to be removed (which is currently impossible because the topics are locked).

Can someone help me? I would really appreciate it.

-JustMeNathalie
I don't obsess.

I think.

Intensely.

-----

Excuse me, I have work to do. Evil plots don't make themselves.

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:10 am
View Likes
Charlie II says...

Hey JustMeNathalie :)

Sorry to hear you aren't using YWS anymore. You're quite right that we can't delete your account, but you are perfectly entitled to edit your literary works and remove the text from them. At the moment (because we're still in the middle of some major changes to the site) it's very difficult for us to do that for you, so I'll talk you through how to do it yourself.

If the literary work appears "locked" I think that means you're looking for it in the wrong way. Let's see if this works:

1. Click on the "Browse" tab, just below the YWS logo.
2. Click on the blue "View Mine" button on the right hand side.
3. (I'm really sorry for the next step!)
4. Select each literary work, one at a time, and click the white "Edit work" button.
5. Edit out the text and replace it with something like "Removed at the author's request".

I think that should work. If it doesn't then please let me know and I'll try to come up with another route! Hope this helps. :)
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:45 pm
JustMeNathalie says...

It worked - thank you! :D
I don't obsess.

I think.

Intensely.

-----

Excuse me, I have work to do. Evil plots don't make themselves.

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:33 pm
Charlie II says...

No problems! I hope this gives you peace of mind. ;)
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

The idea that a poem was a made thing stayed with me, and I decided then that I wanted to be an artist, not just a diarist. So I put myself through a kind of apprenticeship in writing poetry, and I understood even then that my practice as a poet was deeply related to my reading.
— Edward Hirsch