z

Young Writers Society

Why am I not getting points?

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:26 pm
craz33me says...

So I've left some replies on some new posts under the tab read/write.

Isn't that what you're supposed to do to get points? I've had the same number of points since I posted my my work on here.

I'm so confused.

Sincerely,
Ciara<3
"Love is a lot like playing the piano, at first you play by the rules, but eventually you begin to play by the heart."

Follow me on Twitter!
http://www.twitter.com/craz33me
Skype me! Geek33pikachu

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:31 pm
Rosendorn says...

Your comments might not be long enough! Points are only awarded if you go over a certain amount of characters— without spamming (just putting in extra bits of the review that don't have a point, making nonsensical reviews, using a ton of stretched words/punctuation), as the mods will shorten your review and reset your points ;) — in your comments.

We do this because YWS encourages longer, more content-based reviews. The way I look at a review is to ask "why does this work make me feel this way?" The why is critical, because it's where you give the constructive feedback for the actual story. The benefits are twofold: the reviewee wins because they find out exactly what they're doing wrong or right, and the reviewer wins because they start to figure out what they enjoy in their own stories. So you subconsciously start improving your own writing.

A good article on the topic is How to Write a Good Critique (By: Suzanne). If you want more articles, check out Critiquing Tutorials - A collection of articles (By: SPEW).

Hope this helps!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:04 am
Kale says...

Also, the longer the reviews you write, the more points you'll get.

The maximum is 50, though if you review a work with no reviews, you can get as many as 75 points per review.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:30 am
Rosendorn says...

If you review a work that has one review, the maximum is 63.

The different maximums are because works with 0 and 1 reviews have a mark up on the number of points you can earn. Works with 0 gain you 50% more points, while works with 1 gain you 25% more points.

You can easily find these works by clicking one of these buttons, found under the header on the left hand side:
"Be the first to review | Give a second opinion | Shuffle"

Shuffle just lets you jump to a random work on the first two lists.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind