z

Young Writers Society

Does posting out work here ruin our chances of publication?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:11 pm
View Likes
LauraMae says...

I posted a ~1000 word excerpt of one of my WIPs last night. Another member suggested I post in the novel forum, which I did a little research on (how it works etc.). While doing so it occurred to me that, in the event (unlikely, but still a possibility) that I ever wanted to publish my work, would it harm my chances of publication if I posted on the internet? I Googled this but couldn't find any definitive answers, so if anyone knows the answer could you please let me know. Thanks :)
If there's nothing, nothing left to lose... What is this feeling, that keeps on bringing me back to you?

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:23 pm
View Likes
Day says...

Basically it can and it can't. Most publishers wouldn't mind too much or would require you to remove the piece if they wished. Although I wouldn't recommend to necessarily post more and more chapters of your work if your attempting to get published , I do not think it will severely harm your chances. Just make sure to notify the publisher interested in you that you've posted part of the story online. Usually if they are truly interested in your book they will work with you to decide what should be done.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:31 pm
View Likes
skutter11 says...

If anything, it may somewhat bolster your chances, because this site is like one big editor- people tell you what could be done better to it, so the chances are that you end up with a better work. You never know, some among us may even WORK for publishers...
"Madness rides the Star wind"

HP Lovecraft. Ironic, no?

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:55 pm
View Likes
MeanMrMustard says...

No, you can remove the work. You can make the work private and accessible only if people search your posts. You can change the title, request users quoted sections are edited, etc. Posting on here will not ruin your chances to be published: cover your tracks and utilize this place as a useful tool and community to learn things like this.

The fact of the matter is this: the publishers wants to be seen as the place that first got your work and is hosting it/publishing it. Crafty ways of making this the case are available, so just focus instead on what matters more, your writing.

11 Reviews

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:54 pm
View Likes
LauraMae says...

From what you guys have said, I'm taking it that if I remove the work then it won't matter. The reason I joined this site was because I saw the great critiquing community and wanted to be a part of it - hopefully I can do that and still publish. Thanks for your comments, I'll look into having restricted viewing and things like that :)
If there's nothing, nothing left to lose... What is this feeling, that keeps on bringing me back to you?

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:59 pm
View Likes
Skylar16 says...

From what I researched, it depends on the publisher, but as a general rule, try not to post all of the novel. Try to keep it to like a couple of chapters if you are seriously trying to publish it. If not then go for it. Keep in mind that I may be full of it, but this is what I got from my research. You never know. Take the advice of the others above me and use it as you will. Either way good luck with your writing. :D
When people ask me, why are you so weird, I never know what to say. Then I think, why should I be like this when I can be like ttthhhiiiisss?

159 Reviews

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:01 pm
View Likes
MeanMrMustard says...

LauraMae wrote:From what you guys have said, I'm taking it that if I remove the work then it won't matter. The reason I joined this site was because I saw the great critiquing community and wanted to be a part of it - hopefully I can do that and still publish. Thanks for your comments, I'll look into having restricted viewing and things like that :)

Check your Portfolio with "My Portfolio", and then click on the option to edit your portfolio. From there, you should find a button or tab that lets you choose to move your work or instead make it "invisible". That's the bare minimum of what you can do, but it's a step in the right direction with your concern here.

If anything of yours is ever published, you will be requested by almost all publishers to have the work removed from online postings. 99% of publishers will demand this in the terms and contract.

11 Reviews

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:57 pm
View Likes
LauraMae says...

MeanMrMustard wrote:Check your Portfolio with "My Portfolio", and then click on the option to edit your portfolio. From there, you should find a button or tab that lets you choose to move your work or instead make it "invisible". That's the bare minimum of what you can do, but it's a step in the right direction with your concern here.

If anything of yours is ever published, you will be requested by almost all publishers to have the work removed from online postings. 99% of publishers will demand this in the terms and contract.

Thank you :)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:37 am
View Likes
Nate says...

The idea that posting your work online will ruin your chances of publication is more or less an urban myth. There is actually no evidence anywhere that posting your work online has such an effect. On the other hand, numerous novels have been picked up by publishers after they were posted online.

Moreover, posting your work online will have two very positive side effects: (1) you will build an audience, and (2) you will get feedback on your work. Both are crucial to eventually becoming a successful author. Don't deprive yourself out of fear.

159 Reviews

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:49 am
View Likes
MeanMrMustard says...

Nate wrote:The idea that posting your work online will ruin your chances of publication is more or less an urban myth. There is actually no evidence anywhere that posting your work online has such an effect. On the other hand, numerous novels have been picked up by publishers after they were posted online.

Moreover, posting your work online will have two very positive side effects: (1) you will build an audience, and (2) you will get feedback on your work. Both are crucial to eventually becoming a successful author. Don't deprive yourself out of fear.

Yup. Nate, I would make a posting for this in a sticky, as an FYI, could set a nice tone and expectation for people and skirt around that fear some people seem to have. Just my humble opinion.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:01 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I used to have a post on our old blog, Writing Gooder, called "First Publication Rights and the Internet" that touched on this subject. Still have it saved on my computer somewhere so I'll go ahead and re-post it tomorrow.

204 Reviews

Reviews: 204
Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:54 am
View Likes
crescent says...

I was trolling on Inkpop the other day, another writing site, and found this great collection of links on the pros and cons of publishing online. Here, why don't you decide for yourself if the pros outweigh the cons?

http://www.inkpop.com/forum/forums-events/book-biz/posting-online-precautions-how-it-affects-publishing-etc-discussion
Please take care to use good grammar when making a post!

"grammer" 1519 matches on YWS *twitches*

Rydia is the ruler of the world. :(

I’ll marry the finest banana in the galaxy for you.
— Tuckster