z

Young Writers Society

We need something to do with our points...

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:04 pm
Jas says...

We really have nothing to do with our points. There's only so many gifts and donations you can give out, so many storybooks and contests you can make and no one wants to flood forums and post stories/poems constantly. We need something to do with our points. People could start to lose incentive to review and get points because we have nothing to do with them. It's like making money but having NOTHING to buy. :D
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:11 pm
Jagged says...

Some of us okay, me like hoarding points. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:16 pm
Jas says...

I'm a spender not a saver and definitely NOT a hoarder. :)
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:57 pm
Nutty says...

If people are only reviewing for points...well, that makes me sad. D=
Would you rather we go back to the old system where your points got reset each month and posting a story cost you two big review's worth of points?
I prefer the new system. It's friendlier. And I don't think points need to be spent. They're like stickers on your schoolbook, something to make you smile.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:11 pm
Tenyo says...

Nutty! Genius idea! Putting stickers on peoples work! :D

Resetting points at the beginning of each month didn't really work because there were a few dodgy happenings, like people being bullied to donate points to others, groups donating to one person, people saving reviews and not posting until next month when they needed them (I was surprised when I found that one out.)

There's the idea of the profiles being a bit more jazzed up, requiring points to do that. Things like changing the background or adding decorations. Personally I don't like it, it would require a fair bit of work to set up and make it difficult for users with slower internet connections, but I'm sure there are people who would like it.

One could also delve into the realm of avatars, with points being spent to make them look pretty, or even some kind of tamagochi style game.

Annd, virtual food! Like gifts, except with an expiery date. That way you can buy more without clogging up the gifts pages.

I wonder if there was a way of loosing points via procrastinating...
We were born to be amazing.

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:47 pm
ultraviolet says...

I agree jasmine, there should be something to do with points. Maybe there could be a tab on a person's profile that they can write some things on, like a favorite saying, or something, and you can use points to buy decorations for it. I'm assuming you people are being sarcastic about the whole sticker thing, but if there's a page specifically for it, it's not a bad idea. Also, there could be things like different fonts, you could post a picture, I don't know, stuff like that. (Oh, and by the way, I no nothing about computers and websites, so this would probably create a ton of work for Nate even if it were doable, but I just thought I'd put it out there.)

That's just one idea of ways to spend points.

And yes, people shouldn't review just to get points, but we get points anyways, so why not a little incentive?
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:58 pm
Rosendorn says...

One could also delve into the realm of avatars, with points being spent to make them look pretty, or even some kind of tamagochi style game.

Been done quite a few years ago. Hasn't worked too well (detracted from the rest of the site).

If you want something to do with your points, host a massive contest. Or start posting work, as that also costs points.

And as Jag pointed out some of us like hoarding points. :P
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:11 pm
Writersdomain says...

There's only so many gifts and donations you can give out

There are?! Giving gifts is so much fun! If you're having a hard time finding people to give gifts, you can always check out the Welcome forum and give random gifts to the new members! It's fun!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:59 pm
Kale says...

Writersdomain wrote:
There's only so many gifts and donations you can give out

There are?! Giving gifts is so much fun! If you're having a hard time finding people to give gifts, you can always check out the Welcome forum and give random gifts to the new members! It's fun!

Adding on, I'm sure new members would appreciate some extra points donated to them.

Or, if you get a really good and thorough review, why not donate some points to the reviewer? It'll create more of an incentive to leave thorough, quality reviews, and make your reviewer feel happy and appreciated.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:45 pm
Rosendorn says...

Or, if you get a really good and thorough review, why not donate some points to the reviewer? It'll create more of an incentive to leave thorough, quality reviews, and make your reviewer feel happy and appreciated.

Just be sure to end people a PM when you do this. I'm not sure if people get notifications for donations anymore. (And, even if there are PM notifications, why not PM anyway to say your thoughts on the review and asking the reviewer to clarify so points? :))
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:22 am
Nate says...

Heh, what I don't think a lot of people really realize is that YWS is a homebrew effort. Whenever you suggest something like this, you're really saying, "Nate, you should do this, this, and this!". Needless to say, I don't have much time so please just be mindful of that.

Also, this is in the wrong forum. Please post any suggestions in the "Comments and Suggestions" thread at the Info desk. Topic locked.

It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.
— Mark Twain