z

Young Writers Society

Novel covers

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:26 pm
TheMadHatter says...

Hi, is it possible to use one of your own photos as a cover for a novel? Would I be able to make design my own cover, take a picture of it and use that?
Also, can you do other fonts for the title?
And what on earth is with all those codes for the colours?
'The name's Salmon, like the fish. First name, Suzie.'

'Don't make people into heroes, John, they don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.'

'Curiouser and curiouser said Alice'

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:41 pm
Rosendorn says...

As of right now, I don't think it's possible to upload your own picture for a novel colour or alter the fonts.

The codes are known as hex codes. It's a coding language for colour on the web. Just Google "hex codes" and you'll come up with a bunch of lists.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:33 pm
Jas says...

I've actually asked in the past if we could do this. I forgot who, but someone made a good point, that even though we are a pretty tight knit communtiy, there is the chance that a pervert could post a bad/inappropriate picture and there are children on this site. So the answer for now is no.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:36 pm
ultraviolet says...

Though they could just assign a mod to screen the pics. Still, I can see where they don't want to go through the trouble, especially if people are constantly changing their pics.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

1272 Reviews

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:38 pm
Rosendorn says...

Ultra- The mods have lives they enjoy, which is what's preventing a screening system from being put in place. :P It might sound simple to add in, but it actually takes a lot of time to get done. (Imagine, with the number of novels that come up a day, and every single of them getting a picture that needs to be mod-approved. It'd take too much resources)

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

262 Reviews

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:22 pm
ultraviolet says...

Yeah, I kinda figured that. :P
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:49 pm
Snoink says...

OR! You can pay us. I'm sure we'll take bribes. :D

I think Nate is planning on adding more novel covers. But right now, he's concentrating on WriterFeed.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

262 Reviews

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:27 am
ultraviolet says...

Snoink, I like the way you think. *pushes pig stickers across table* Now, let's talk. :smt047

~asofterworld.com

9 Reviews

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:23 pm
TheMadHatter says...

But you can put photos up anyway in art and photography so surely it wouldn't make a difference if you could use them as book covers? Pervs could put pervy pictures on here already so it doesn't really matter does it?

'Don't make people into heroes, John, they don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.'

1272 Reviews

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:35 pm
Rosendorn says...

It maters a lot, actually. Art and Photography has a JM crew, Lit. Misc, and one of their jobs is to take a look at Art and Photography. So we have quite a few people who's main focus is that and a few other forums. With novels, the brunt would either fall on Fiction JMs (who have some of the busiest forums to manage) or it would get spread to all other mods and JMs, who have other responsibilities. Chances are, other jobs would get sacrificed in order to keep on top of the honestly massive amount of novels that get posted in a day. (Art and Photography gets less of pictures posted a day than there are novels made.)

For right now, we don't have the resources to allow screening of a lot of novel covers. We either put in pre-moderation, which would make members impatient and they might not stick around, or we have to put the whole green squad on it, just to scan the uploaded pictures, at the cost of other jobs.

As Snoink said, Nate's probably planing to add in more novel covers. He's simply focusing on other projects at present. Just be patient. :)

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:23 am
Day says...

My opinion:

It wouldn't be that hard for the mods at all depending on how it was coded. So let's just pretend it has already been coded. How I see it the mods could cycle through all the new novels glance at the picture and click an OK or Reject button. You could probably do over 50 in 1min depending on your internet connection.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

9 Reviews

Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:51 pm
TheMadHatter says...

Sorry. Didn't know about all that. By the way, Day, I didn't understand a word of what you just said :?

1272 Reviews

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:03 pm
Rosendorn says...

Day wrote:My opinion:

It wouldn't be that hard for the mods at all depending on how it was coded. So let's just pretend it has already been coded. How I see it the mods could cycle through all the new novels glance at the picture and click an OK or Reject button. You could probably do over 50 in 1min depending on your internet connection.

This would require Nate's hand in it (and he's very busy at present with other things). There's also how YWS tends to suffer when there's a barrier to posting work now. The Novels system would need to be tweaked just slightly to make it possible, so novels could be posted right then and start getting comments, and the actual cover would show up once a mod's approved it.

While this idea is possible feasible, it's the fact that Nate is required to make it happen that's currently barring it from happening. He's working on other projects at present and doesn't really have time to code such a system at present. Maybe eventually, but not right now.

318 Reviews

Reviews: 318
Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:01 pm
Abigail_W. says...

As for the colors, you can just as well use [color=red][/color] or [color=blue] or whatever color you choose, as opposed to [color=#FF0000][/color] or [color=#0000FF][/color]. Those big long numbers just give you more options for the color scheme, because they can't think of a name that everyone will remember for every single gradient. Hope this helps!

- Abigail

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:01 pm
View Likes
Jas says...

Why don't you assign a specific new group to doing the covers then? Like a JM group that only work on covers?
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

There are those who say that life is like a book, with chapters for each event in your life and a limited number of pages on which you can spend your time. But I prefer to think that a book is like a life, particularly a good one, which is well to worth staying up all night to finish.
— Lemony Snicket