z

Young Writers Society

Chapter-by-Chapter Posting...

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:27 am
Red Ashes says...

Um, well, I'm not new but I still have a question! :D

This might have been said elsewhere but I want to write it exactly how I want so that I can get the right answer. So, if I'm writing a story that's supposed to be kind of novel-length, but I am writing it at the moment, am I allowed to post each chapter on here or is that not okay? I just need some serious motivation to get this done! :)

What do you think?

~Ash~
~ Check out my inspirational blog!

* A man falls in love through his eyes; a woman through her heart - slightly changed by me*

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:58 am
AquaMarine says...

Yes! That's the way most people do it! Just put up chapter one, with a title saying the name of your story and which chapter it is. In the right forum, of course!
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

20 Reviews

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:05 pm
Red Ashes says...

Alrighty then, thanks! :D

But how long can each post be? I've seen some really long ones (up to 4,000 words)!

~Ash~

* A man falls in love through his eyes; a woman through her heart - slightly changed by me*

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:34 pm
AquaMarine says...

If a chapter is over 1,500 words then you should really post it in separate parts. (So chapter 1, part 1) and so on. :D
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

20 Reviews

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:21 pm
Red Ashes says...

Why thank you for that.

~Ash~

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:31 pm
Rosendorn says...

Another option is just scrapping chapter parts and only posting 1,500 word segments, each numbered. I'm doing this with my novel and I've found it looks much less intimidating to look at, just scanning through the forums. Labling chapter parts makes the work look like a bit of a daunting task. (Sometimes. This is just based on my own expirence dealing with chapter parts)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

20 Reviews

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:58 pm
View Likes
Red Ashes says...

Oh, okay. Well I've started now so I guess I'll just have to deal with the Chapter naming thing. Still, thanks for the helpfl advice. :D

~Ash~

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:17 pm
Nate says...

Just as yet another quick note for you, it's important you follow the same naming format for each piece. So if you post Chapter 1 as "The Tales of Teddy Ruxpin Chapter I," you should call Chapter 2 "The Tales of Teddy Ruxpin Chapter II". That way, YWS can build the related items list easily*.

* Related Items List: Whenever a work is posted part by part, YWS automatically builds a table of contents. You just need to look for it near the top.

20 Reviews

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:35 am
Red Ashes says...

Okay, yeah I've done that right. :D

~Ash~

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:02 pm
Elinor says...

Also, if your novel is 10,000 words or more, you can post it as a whole in the Advanced Critiques forum.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

Please immediately cease and desist from offering Bob any more coffees with peppermint sprinkles. Thank you.
— SilverNight