z

Young Writers Society

How do reviews work?

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:09 am
View Likes
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

I can't figure out how to do those fancy reviews that I'm seeing. It makes me look like a lazy uncaring bum if I don't review anybody's work.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:13 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Reviews are comments to literary works that are over 250 characters ;)
You can check it via the character counter below the writing box =)

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:27 am
View Likes
Sureal says...

Don't worry about making it uber long or anything. Just read through the story or poem, and make a note of what you like and what you dislike.
I wrote the above just for you.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:46 am
View Likes
Juniper says...

Hullo, Author!

As Sureal said, never worry about making it look all fancy. Just providing your general comments to the work would be just as wonderful, provided that a review -- as Elinor said -- must be 250 characters long to be counted as a review. YWS has a nifty character counter built in for that.

There are several ways you can review! You can provide general comments, which is well enough on its own. You can point out mistakes in writing, or things that stood out to you as positive or negative. Oftentimes, reviewers "quote" a part of the work like this:

Quoted text

And that is:

Code: Select all
[quote] Quoted Text [/quote]

And then a reviewer would add their comments underneath the quote box. Any way you choose to review is fine. Constructive criticism is generally widely sought after.

Hope that helped! Anymore questions? Post them here, or PM me, dear. ;)

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:34 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Just as a quick note, some people go really overboard in their reviews. I wouldn't worry too much about that; sometimes the best reviews only hit a couple points.

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
— Oscar Wilde