z

Young Writers Society

Tagging person with space in username

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:24 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Very important question here, how does one tag a person who still has a space in their username? I feel like I've run across this information before, but I can't recall it.

EDIT:

Since this is it's own thread now - I'll add a few additional questions/information in case anyone with expertise in coding ever comes along with the answers.

The ultimate question that is still up for answer is how do you tag someone with both a space and a punctuation mark in their name?

I've also run across a few older usernames with brackets or double punctuation marks - are there ways to tag them?

I am mostly interested because I do a history column in Squills that references YWS events from 5 or 10 years ago, and frequently run into folks I'd like to recognize or tag, but can't because they have punctuation marks and spaces all over.

I'm guessing there isn't a way to tag them? But if someone comes across a solution I'll be listening for the answer! XD Thanks!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:47 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

You use %20 in place of the space.

So my old username was Rosey%20Unicorn
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:35 am
alliyah says...

Thanks @Rosendorn! And thank you for moving my question to the correct thread, I was so excited about my question, I didn't read the fine print in the other forum... :)

Follow up question, what if said person has a punctuation mark in their username?

I noticed in the "All Knight's Ping" (Review Month is Upon Us) ( that an older Knight, Searria H. didn't get tagged and I'm curious about how one would go about tagging someone if they had a space and a punctuation mark.

Second Follow-Up question for anyone who knows. Why did spaces and punctuation marks in usernames go away? Is it because it's hard to tag people, or is their a deeper meaning? - Just asking because I'm curious. :)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:07 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

I believe there used to be a way to tag Sea but I can’t remember how. I miss her!

And spaces and punctuation were taken away because it messes with Nate’s site coding, if I remember correctly.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

386 Reviews

Reviews: 386
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:42 am
View Likes
Dossereana says...

I think that is true @Iggy
Oh you just have to wait, and peace will come to you!

she/her

"What is a poet? An unhappy person who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music."
— Søren Kierkegaard, Philosopher & Theologian