z

Young Writers Society

How to post a novel?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:30 am
Nymeria says...

First I'd like to admit that I'm pretty sure this isn't the right place to post this, but oh well.

So I've noticed that most people post their novels on here chapter by chapter. This seems like it would be helpful for close editing, but that's not what I want. I'm close to having a first draft of a little novel and I will want some feed back on the big stuff (plot, character, setting). I don't need to know that my sentences are choppy just yet.
I'm wondering if I can just post the entire thing in one go, or maybe like 2 or 3 parts, so it's all together instead of cut up in little pieces. It's not going to be long, only about 20,000 words I'm guessing for the first draft (it's meant for a younger audience).
Thanks
“You do know you could find yourselves charged with being a dominant species while under the influence of impulse-driven consumerism, don’t you?”
- Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:39 am
View Likes
Mea says...

(It's not a big deal, but in the future questions like this are best put in the Questions & Answers forum. So you were right about being wrong, but now you know!)

There's not really a way to post 20-30k on here in two or three parts through the Publishing Center, at least not a way that is conducive to it getting good reviews.

Your best bet would be to try to recruit 2 or 3 people to read the whole thing at once and give you feedback. You can offer points, reviews of your own, or basically anything you can think of (short of actual money, etc) as incentive. We do have a place for you to do that, and that is the Novel Workshop forum! Basically, you can make a thread about your novel with a pitch/summary and explain that you're looking for overall feedback. You could also make a thread in the YWS Trading Post if you're offering points. Just be sure to read the guidelines for each forum!

If it helps, I've found in my experience that the best way to get people engaged with your writing is to go out and engage with them yourself. Review, read other people's stories, make friends - if people know you, they'll be more interested in reading your story. I wish you the best of luck!
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:51 am
Nymeria says...

Thanks Mea, that was really helpful!
“You do know you could find yourselves charged with being a dominant species while under the influence of impulse-driven consumerism, don’t you?”
- Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own.
— Albus Dumbledore